Cyclone OMA watch

9 minutes ago, jmorgan500 said:

Oh, and if they cancel are they likely to refund whole amount? Anyone had experience of this, as Í havent got travel insurance?

I assume you are on the 3 night P&O comedy cruise from Brisbane. There are a few possibilities, but probably the least likely is total cancellation of the cruise. A few years ago I saw a ship that was going to do a short comedy cruise out of Fremantle. The weather was terrible. They spent half of their cruise tied up at the wharf. Another possibility is the ship just going out into Moreton Bay, but that would depend on whether they were permitted to stay there (because of other shipping). If the weather is horrendous, the Port of Brisbane could be closed, in which case the ship would not be able to come in and dock. I think if that happens, you will get a refund or a refund for the day/s you lose.

I wouldn't worry too much. It is all outside your control.

Yes the three night comedy cruise. Thank you for your reassurances.  Looks like they do their utmost not to cancel and I will get some sort of holiday even if it may be a bit bumpy. I wouldn't mind them not being able to return to port due to closures - an extra day at sea would be nice! Will invest in travel sickness tablets in case. 

Have not heard of a cruise being cancelled because of weather.

If Pacific Dawn gets into port OK on Saturday - then very likely you will sail out & the Captain will make the motion as moderate as possible by getting away from the storm. 

If they close the port after her arrival it is most likely they will sail anyway & take the pilot with them as it is only for a few days.

Stock up on seasick tablets.

5 hours ago, Big Shed said:

Sea Princess (have family on board for the current cruise) was supposed to relocate from Cairns to Port Douglas overnight. Is now in Cairns for another day (bus tours to Port Douglas for those booked) and will not go via Willis Island. Kuranda Skyrail was out of action due to a storm last night.

Due in Brizzy Sunday morning. If they do, there may be a few people kissing the tarmac as they come off.

Saturday nite from Bundaberg down looks rather unpleasant at this stage.

Sounds exactly like what happed to us back in ‘07

They would still be working out if your cruise can arrive let alone leave. They will let you know by the method selected by you which is normally email but it really depends on how you booked as well, if via a TA then through them. You will likely find out by Saturday morning.

Flights to and from Coolangatta/Brisvegas could be affected as well.  I have a relo from UK here, who flies Canberra to Coolangatta on Saturday arvo, could be a windy landing, that is if flights proceed into the above airports.  Transport chaos this weekend up north.

Edited by NSWP

45 minutes ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

P&O have just announced the 3 day cruise from Brisbane on Dawn on Saturday has been cancelled altogether.

Now posted on FB that Dawn will remain in Sth Pacific with call in Noumea tomorrow and delayed return to Brisbane & Pacific Explorer will go to Sapphire Coast & not Moreton Is.

5 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Arcadia is due in  Brisbane on Sat. How will they get on????

The Pom world cruisers might have to miss Brisvegas or have a rocky ride.  Not happy little Marmites.

I wonder how the Sea Princess will go. She is due in on Sunday, coming from the north. The Weather Bureau predicts that the cyclone will turn to the north on Saturday. Someone mentioned they will be missing Willis Island. Maybe they will try to get into Brisbane on Saturday rather than Sunday. Whatever they do, it will be bumpy.

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I wonder how the Sea Princess will go. She is due in on Sunday, coming from the north. The Weather Bureau predicts that the cyclone will turn to the north on Saturday. Someone mentioned they will be missing Willis Island. Maybe they will try to get into Brisbane on Saturday rather than Sunday. Whatever they do, it will be bumpy.

I hope the bridgecams are operating, fun, fun to watch, but perhaps not for the pax.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the ships acting like a broad sail when not positioned into the wind properly, I doubt they would get into Brisbane or back out.

The Captain of Sea Princess is going to really earn his money when he gets down to Sandy Cape with the predicted position of the cyclone.  Maybe with missing Willis Island he is already well out in the Coral Sea & is already planning to be east of the cyclone.

If not does he go inside on the usual track down the coast of Fraser Island & fight the southerly swell making the ship pitch badly - too much spray for bridge cam Les.

Or does he continue in the the Coral Sea & keep east of the eye.  This is the recommended way to avoid TRS in Admiralty directions.   The wind & sea would come around on the quarter & then astern before getting the wind & swell back on the port side approaching Brisbane pilot at Mooloolaba.

The Brisbane pilots will also earn their money joining & leaving ships with 6-8 metre swells running.

Wind up here is starting to increase & the rain will start tomorrow most likely.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

With the ships acting like a broad sail when not positioned into the wind properly, I doubt they would get into Brisbane or back out.

I agree. When there are strong winds, ships can't get up the Brisbane River to Portside. Friends of our's on the Sea Princess might have their cruise extended if the Sea Princess can't get in early.🙂

1 minute ago, SeaDog-46 said:

The Brisbane pilots will also earn their money joining & leaving ships with 6-8 metre swells running.

Wind up here is starting to increase & the rain will start tomorrow most likely.

We know one of the pilots who work out of Mooloolaba, although we haven't seen him for a while. He can tell some interesting stories about climbing up the side of a container ship in bad weather.

19 hours ago, jmorgan500 said:

Oh, and if they cancel are they likely to refund whole amount? Anyone had experience of this, as Í havent got travel insurance?

Now that we hear your cruise has been cancelled, I think you can expect a full refund. You undoubtedly would prefer a cruise, but the 'weather gods' have intervened.

Sea Princess has advised passengers:

Port of Brisbane will be closed to them on Sunday.

Sea Princess is leaving Cairns now to sea and will return to Cairns tomorrow Friday at 9.00am for any passengers wanting to make an alternative way home. She sails at 1.00pm, 1300 hrs, Friday and will head towards Brisbane.

Sea Princess is now expected into Brisbane on Tuesday afternoon.

Someone earlier suggested they will go around Oma to the east. A long track but fits the time.

Or they have the option of Gladstone or into Great Sandy strait behind Fraser as a weak option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Shed said:

Sea Princess has advised passengers:

Port of Brisbane will be closed to them on Sunday.

Sea Princess is leaving Cairns now to sea and will return to Cairns tomorrow Friday at 9.00am for any passengers wanting to make an alternative way home. She sails at 1.00pm, 1300 hrs, Friday and will head towards Brisbane.

Sea Princess is now expected into Brisbane on Tuesday afternoon.

Someone earlier suggested they will go around Oma to the east. A long track but fits the time.

Or they have the option of Gladstone or into Great Sandy strait behind Fraser as a weak option.

Sea Princess was supposed to off for a 14 day NZ cruise on Sunday 24th. I wonder what happens to that, because when it comes back on the 10th March it is meant to be off to Sydney for a round Australia cruise.

And I am meant to be on it as far as Sydney.:classic_sad: