Cyclone OMA watch

Sea Princess is due in at about 1400 hrs tomorrow and I think she is probably 10-12 hrs away if you include the river and berthing.

I queried the stooging around out from Gladstone or in that vicinity. They had a medivac situation and then had to wait on the chopper to refuel for another run out to them.

Daughter said it was bad yesterday arvo and last night. Define Bad!! She said she could hardly walk down the passageways without hitting the sides.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:33 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Brisbane Pilots have managed to get 3 vessels to sea this afternoon. 2 are going to have a hard time going south.

Ports web page has :

Pacific Dawn - 02:15 pilot 26th berthing at GRAIN 05:45.  Dep. 15:00 26th.

Sea Princess 10:15 pilot 26th to Portside 14:30.  Dep. 12:00  27th.

They also list Arcadia for Grain & Pacific Explorer for Mooloolaba anchorage.

I can't  see how they could possibly  think Mooloolaba is a good anchorage. It is still extremely  rough up here & blowing  a gale. Maybe they have high hopes  for calmer seas soon.

Edited by joejoe 59

Brisbane pilots plan to bring in 8 vessels today.

Tomorrow it will be a very busy day to catch up with backlog of movements including 2 cruise ships.

First in will be Hoegh Trapper 01:00 pilot - a car carrier & the worst vessels in high winds, going to Fisherman's Island.

Followed by Pacific Dawn with 02:00 pilot & 05:30 at Grain. Then container ship Christa Schulte at 02:30 / 06:15 to F.I.

After several more - Sea Princess with 10:30 pilot & 15:00 at Portside.

Pacific Dawn departing at 16:00.

21 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Brisbane pilots plan to bring in 8 vessels today.

Tomorrow it will be a very busy day to catch up with backlog of movements including 2 cruise ships.

First in will be Hoegh Trapper 01:00 pilot - a car carrier & the worst vessels in high winds, going to Fisherman's Island.

Followed by Pacific Dawn with 02:00 pilot & 05:30 at Grain. Then container ship Christa Schulte at 02:30 / 06:15 to F.I.

After several more - Sea Princess with 10:30 pilot & 15:00 at Portside.

Pacific Dawn departing at 16:00.

Thank you for all your info Sea Dog we were booked on Sea Princess for Sunday now Wednesday - I'm following her progress through you. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Pacific Dawn had 14 metre seas in June 2012 on their way into Brisbane. She did sustain some damage in that event.

At the same time, we were on the Pacific Pearl (only around 60,000 tons) and we had 12 metre seas on our way from Luganville to Sydney. We were able to skirt the worst of the bad weather and Captain Paoletti handled it magnificently. We got into Sydney in the afternoon instead of early morning, but at least we got there.

We have been through some huge swells, but thankfully the ships have been bigger.

Sea Princess is still sheltering 'behind' Fraser Island. Pacific Dawn seems to be making her way slowly from the south east towards Cape Moreton. I notice on Ship Tracker that there are a lot of ships waiting off Mooloolaba for the weather to improve so they can enter the bay and proceed to the port.

Yes Mic - 24 movements - 3 of them cruise ships are scheduled at Brisbane port today & operations are well under way with Pacific Dawn berthed on time & Sun Princess approaching from the north for her turn to board a pilot.

41 minutes ago, Big Shed said:

Hi MicCanberra

You have obviously been all at sea over the past few years. Care to comment on your favourite cruises, locations and ships?

Thanks

Trev

My favourite cruise destination by far has been Antarctica, but there has been many great cruises and anywhere new is exciting.

My favourite cruise line is X but will sail on any with the right itinerary, timing and price.

My favourite ship is the Solstice but any ship taking me to a new port will suffice.