Bermuda overnight

k8te62

Hello everyone,

I am getting excited about our April trip to Bermuda on the GEM.  The ship will spend 2 nights docked in Bermuda.  Is there a time that the ship stops allowing passengers onboard at night?  I don't expect to stay out very late, but just curious.  Also, I hear the crystal caves are a must see.  Anything else I shouldn't? 

There's no curfew -- you may come and go as you please, just be back on board by the deadline on the final day.  :classic_smile:

In terms of Bermuda, you may also want to visit the Ports of Call/Bermuda forum, where there is of course a ton of information about what to do and how to get around.

Enjoy your cruise!

4 hours ago, k8te62 said:

Hello everyone,

I am getting excited about our April trip to Bermuda on the GEM.  The ship will spend 2 nights docked in Bermuda.  Is there a time that the ship stops allowing passengers onboard at night?  I don't expect to stay out very late, but just curious.  Also, I hear the crystal caves are a must see.  Anything else I shouldn't? 

Take my suggestion with a grain of salt, as I did not see the crystal caves. I intended to, but prior to my Bermuda cruise I was talked out of it by other reviewers.  The photos of the caves are gorgeous.  However, it was described to me as "stand in the hot sun to wait your turn, go down some steps, ooh and ahh at them, go back upstairs - the end."  I couldn't justify the cab fare/excursion prices for what sounded like a very limited experience - mostly spent in the hot sun waiting around.    

Instead, we took a mini bus ($7/pp each way) to Horseshoe Bay Beach.  Our driver was great, felt like we got a little narrated tour out of it.  Beach is incredible and right next to a bar and restaurant with bathrooms and showers.  Was very easy to catch a mini bus to and from the beach.  We rented chairs and an umbrella for $45 I believe.  The beach didn't seem overly crowded to me.  

We also took the ferry over to Hamilton to explore and eat lunch.  Depending on where you're from, you have have some sticker shock at Bermuda prices, quite expensive. We enjoyed the trip to Hamilton but I wouldn't say it is a "must do" like Horseshoe Bay Beach.

The last Hamilton fast ferry back to Dockyard for the ships is no later than 8:30 or 9 p.m. even when it's on a summer or winter schedule, it is posted inside the arrival building at the VIC.  The bus take about 1 hour vs. 20 minutes on the ferry, but it doesn't run late into the night either - don't assume that everyone else & you can get on that last bus ... plan accordingly or returning.  Taxis are available but it's rather pricey - Bermuda's standard of living, rather high - as noted above, be prepared to pay more, like in NYC, SFO or Paris.  

If you are there in April, the place is still running on winter mode and Harborfest(ival) doesn't start until May - you'll likely find "some" nightlife at Dockyard.  Gangway is open all night, no curfew, you can come & go as you wish. 

We did the caves last year.   They were nice, but IMO not worth the trip when you have limited time in Bermuda.  To be fair we live on the East Coast.  There are so many cave systems within a days drive that are way better than those we saw in Bermuda,  The best part of the cave trip for us was walking across the street (up the hill a little) to have a drink at the Swizzle Inn.  BTW - we were in Bermuda for two and a half days,  So had more time than you will.  We took the bus to the caves.  There is a stop right near the entrance.

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

The last Hamilton fast ferry back to Dockyard for the ships is no later than 8:30 or 9 p.m. even when it's on a summer or winter schedule, it is posted inside the arrival building at the VIC.  The bus take about 1 hour vs. 20 minutes on the ferry, but it doesn't run late into the night either - don't assume that everyone else & you can get on that last bus ... plan accordingly or returning.  Taxis are available but it's rather pricey - Bermuda's standard of living, rather high - as noted above, be prepared to pay more, like in NYC, SFO or Paris.  

If you are there in April, the place is still running on winter mode and Harborfest(ival) doesn't start until May - you'll likely find "some" nightlife at Dockyard.  Gangway is open all night, no curfew, you can come & go as you wish. 

FYI, Harbour Nights starts earlier this year...April 17...and runs every Wednesday through September 4, with one exception...Thursday April 25 will replace Wednesday April 24 to avoid a conflict with another event.

2 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

The best part of the cave trip for us was walking across the street (up the hill a little) to have a drink at the Swizzle Inn. 

Not just a drink.  Have lunch there.  The Bailey's Bay Fish Sandwich is delicious  -- and pairs well with a Rum Swizzle.:classic_smile:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Not just a drink.  Have lunch there.  The Bailey's Bay Fish Sandwich is delicious  -- and pairs well with a Rum Swizzle.:classic_smile:

Also the deck overlooks a rotary, always fun to watch the American drivers when they face the point of having to turn :)

On February 19, 2019 at 2:43 PM, TexasCruiser84 said:

Take my suggestion with a grain of salt, as I did not see the crystal caves. I intended to, but prior to my Bermuda cruise I was talked out of it by other reviewers.  The photos of the caves are gorgeous.  However, it was described to me as "stand in the hot sun to wait your turn, go down some steps, ooh and ahh at them, go back upstairs - the end."  I couldn't justify the cab fare/excursion prices for what sounded like a very limited experience - mostly spent in the hot sun waiting around.    

Instead, we took a mini bus ($7/pp each way) to Horseshoe Bay Beach.  Our driver was great, felt like we got a little narrated tour out of it.  Beach is incredible and right next to a bar and restaurant with bathrooms and showers.  Was very easy to catch a mini bus to and from the beach.  We rented chairs and an umbrella for $45 I believe.  The beach didn't seem overly crowded to me.  

We also took the ferry over to Hamilton to explore and eat lunch.  Depending on where you're from, you have have some sticker shock at Bermuda prices, quite expensive. We enjoyed the trip to Hamilton but I wouldn't say it is a "must do" like Horseshoe Bay Beach.

You didn't need to take a cab to go to the caves and we went VERY early and were the first group in the caves (we will do the same this year). We took the first ferry to Hamilton (around 7:30) purchased a sheet of bus tickets and took the bus to the caves. IF you do this, take the bus to the Swizzle Inn to go to the caves. We found the walk from the caves to the Swizzle Inn a much easier walk than the bus that drops you off at the bottom of the hill for the caves.

If it's your first time in Bermuda, I would highly recommend GAR Tours' Scenic Road tour. http://www.gartours.com/

They take you to all the sights on the island on a clean and A/C'ed minibus, making multiple stops for photo ops. Even stopping at Warwick Long Bay beach, which is far less crowded than neighboring Horseshoe Bay. 

The tour was wonderful, with a very informative tour guide. They meet you on the pier at the Dockyard, and you literally tour the island from end to end, bringing you back to the Dockyard. When you are planning your trip, they are also very responsive to emails as well.

We've been to Crystal Caves, and I think it is something you should see. The pictures really don't do it justice. Yes, it is a steep admission price, but you're there for a reason...to see and experience all Bermuda has to offer! 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, k8te62 said:

Hello everyone,

Since you are on the GEM assuming you are leaving from Boston?  You will arrive Sunday afternoon and a lot of shops and places are closed so plan accordingly.  We got bus passes at the visitor center and hopped on the #7 bus to go to Gibbs Lighthouse.  You are dropped off at a little store at the bottom of a hill and have to walk about 1/4 mile to the light house.  Nice walk and then you can climb the lighthouse for great views of the island (small fee $2.50?)   Also not noted yet is that NCL has their own ferry now that runs from the dockyards to St. George - my favorite part of the islands.  It is FREE and only for NCL passengers.  It will be running weekdays from 8:30 am till I believe around 4:30 pm.  In the past we have taken that ferry to St. George and then the #10 (or 11) bus from there to the Swizzle Inn/Caves - it's a much shorter trip than from Hamilton and you save money on the ferry.  The bus system is something of a thrill ride in itself as you ride very close to the walls and shrubbery you will find yourself "flinching" but the locals are used to it and it doesn't bother them at all!  St. George Village has some beautiful areas all within walking distance from the ferry.  There's a beautiful little church, St Peter's, and Somers gardens with the Moongate stone should be in bloom while you are there.  There are some old Church ruins and if you do venture up towards Tobacco Bay (can be done on foot but it's uphiill!) you can go beyond to Fort St. Catherine and explore there as well.   TB is great for snorkeling and there is a little beach just beyond it called Achilles Bay - it doesn't have the services that TB has but if you like to snorkel this is a great spot surrounded by tall cliffs and lots of coral reefs.

• Like 1