QM after being on other lines

mostlylurker

Did you speak with the maitre d‘ about your table?

I am sure that they‘d helped you.

BTT, we feel „back home“ when on QM2 ( our first ever cruise was in her), but we have also enjoyed Aqua on Celebrity Solstice very much.

QM is very different and difficult to compare, but it‘ll be „our“ ship.

And the atmosphere in Britannia Restaurant is unique, many Grills passengers try to go there just for that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I solve most of those issues by not booking in Grills.

After Oceania or Crystal which truly are Luxury lines theres no way Cunard is luxury or begins to compare 

Cunard now is quite simply a slightly more formal cruise line  than the other Mass market lines like Princess  Celebrity etc ...the food especially in Kings Court is mass market and often extremely unappetising and boringly repetative 

The drummer and the orchestra drown out every performer just as they do on Princess etc 

24 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

After Oceania or Crystal which truly are Luxury lines theres no way Cunard is luxury or begins to compare 

Cunard now is quite simply a slightly more formal cruise line  than the other Mass market lines like Princess  Celebrity etc ...the food especially in Kings Court is mass market and often extremely unappetising and boringly repetative 

The drummer and the orchestra drown out every performer just as they do on Princess etc 

Having been on both Princess and Celebrity, I couldn't disagree more. Cunard for us is a completely different - and way, way better - experience, and that applies especially for QM2. Each to their own, I guess.

• Like 2

We sailed QE in October, after four Celebrity cruises. It took us a while to get used to the slower vibe, but overall it was better, not least given that Celebrity ships are increasingly full of VERY LOUD MUSIC and crew selling speciality dining and drinks package upgrades. MDR was better than Celebrity; buffet not as good as S-class Celebrity. Live music excellent. Sure, Cunard is mass market, but significantly different from the rest.

• Like 2

This is great info as I am likely going to do a crossing on QM2 this fall.  I've sailed Royal, X, Carnival, NCL, HAL, Princess and MSC and I prefer X and Princess these days.  I'm so looking forward to going to Europe (never been) and zooming through Dublin and London first.  I figure I'll have 5 days of running around like crazy and a week to rest.  Plus I can buy whatever I want since I won't have to worry about overweight bags!  

I'm somewhat concerned about dressing up more than I have in the past, but I'll roll with it and stick with something sparkly unless I can find a decent gown on clearance someplace!  :classic_blush:  I am excited to try something new and more refined, without 100000 screaming kids and drunk people and countless announcements!  

The info on this thread has been very helpful.  I'm lucky that I've toured the ship a few times and I got suckered in by the reduced deposits and Chinese New Year sale....and Cunard's airfares are ridiculously wonderful....

Cutthroat trivia eh???  😎

Edited by megr1125

We have American friends who travel regularly on the QM2 to England then transfer to the QV or QE for a trips into Europe and then sail back home  to America on the QM2,  what the lady likes about these sort of trips, she loves to bring one case of shoes and not having to worry about  the weight if they had flown.🍷🥃

• Like 2

We did a crossing on QM2 many years ago and are looking forward to being back on her again.  There is a completely different experience on a crossing.  We are doing a crossing on RCL, sailing to northern Europe on QV and then returning to New York on the QM2.  

You will enjoy the ship and make sure you do the High tea at least one time.  Enjoy your crossing .

At the risk of starting this up again, 'high tea' is a working class meal consisting of a savory item, followed by cakes or other afternoon tea items, served around 5:30 p.m.  I should know I enjoyed many of them as a child. It is the last meal of the day. 'Afternoon tea' is entirely different - what is served on Cunard is definitely ''afternoon tea'

• Like 2

The big difference we notice on the QM2 is how spacious the ship is.  Very large public rooms, never ever crowded  even when the ship is fully booked.  No waiting for an elevator.  No waiting for a drink.  Lots of places to sit and pass the time.

We also notice how formality is emphasized from the dress up nights to the ballroom dancing.  Formal, formal, formal, and more than a bit old fashioned.

We love the QM2 and look forward to our scheduled crossing in September.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

Very large public rooms, never ever crowded  even when the ship is fully booked.

After trying to enter the Golden Lion at 11:55 UK time on New Year's Eve, I'd take issue with "never ever," but I'd concede "almost never." 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

After trying to enter the Golden Lion at 11:55 UK time on New Year's Eve, I'd take issue with "never ever," but I'd concede "almost never." 🙂

Good point Underwtr;  never say "never ever."  But still...one of the joys of the QM2 is the lack of crowds.  So different than other non-luxury lines.  And different than other Cunard ships.  For instance, we are recently off the Queen Victoria where we grew tired of long waits for elevators, which were often full, and too many queues.  Not so on the QM2.

QM2 can also get busy. We left the liner 10 days ago after 44 nights on board. Had a great time, but we certainly had to wait a while for lifts after talks and shows. Also sometimes in the morning when lots of passengers were going to the Royal Court theatre to report in for excursions.

Just off a QM2 segment of the world cruise, HKG to HKG. We had very "meh" weather. What I noticed most was that even when the weather wasn't conducive to spending lots of time outdoors, being inside didn't feel crowded.

We were spoilt for choice deciding what we wanted to do on see days as there were so many things we wanted to do that clashed.

Live music, lectures and trivia were excellent. Not all trivia is for stamps. They do have trivia once a day for a bottle of wine, and the wine is very nice. We won 80s name that tune 🙂 and took the wine in to dinner that night! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, agathasmum said:

Just off a QM2 segment of the world cruise, HKG to HKG. We had very "meh" weather. What I noticed most was that even when the weather wasn't conducive to spending lots of time outdoors, being inside didn't feel crowded.

We were spoilt for choice deciding what we wanted to do on see days as there were so many things we wanted to do that clashed.

Live music, lectures and trivia were excellent. Not all trivia is for stamps. They do have trivia once a day for a bottle of wine, and the wine is very nice. We won 80s name that tune 🙂 and took the wine in to dinner that night! 

Thank you for sharing...