Seven Seas Society Members Around the Globe

UUNetBill

I didn't want to clog up the other thread where the number of SSS members was mentioned so I thought I'd start a new thread as I'm now kind of curious how the numbers break out.  Maybe Jason O can chime in and shed some light, assuming this isn't some home-office or shareholder specific information.

Jackie mentioned 600,000 SSS members, which seemed high until I thought about it.  Twenty-five plus years of sailing multiple ships around the world would have to draw a lot of passengers and since pretty much everyone gets enrolled in Bronze on their first sailing it's totally believable.  But the real fun would be to know how many people worldwide are at which levels.  I'm sure it's a nice curve dropping off at the higher levels but it would be fun to see the actual numbers.  I'd also be interested in seeing how many people from which countries are represented - they usually announce the passenger makeup on each cruise, I'd be surprised if the number-crunchers didn't keep stats on all of that.

Is anyone else interested in this or am I the only geek out here?   :classic_unsure:

I am also interested.  I read the “600,000” number on the front page of Passages this week. I’m sure that the breakdown is not a secret - Regent is proud of their repeat customers.

One thing I have observed is that the “Gold, Platinum, Titanium, Diamond and Commodore” events that used to be intimate and fun (maybe 30 people) now has to be held in the theater most cruises. That is where it will be this evening and we are not sure that we will attend.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

One thing I have observed is that the “Gold, Platinum, Titanium, Diamond and Commodore” events that used to be intimate and fun (maybe 30 people) now has to be held in the theater most cruises. That is where it will be this evening and we are not sure that we will attend.

Jackie, don't they do 'Top Tier' now for Titanium and above?  Or is it Platinum+?  All I know is that there are too damn many Gold members - what did Groucho say?  "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member"?    :classic_biggrin:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I believe that the 600,000 number quoted consists of members who have sailed to the great beyond, including my Father. My Mom lives in a 55 and older community and the mailman leaves the mail for "non-residents" on the table and there are always numerous Regent catalogs for residents who left this earth many years ago.

gnomie :classic_smile:

41 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I believe that “Top Tier” onboard events still includes Gold.  It is pre-boarding that is Ttanium and above as well as top suites. It would be kind of hard to drop Gold unless they gave them another type of event.

On our last cruises there was a gold and up event and a smaller platinum and up event.  

I believe gnomie is correct. My husband passed a few years ago and still receives mail from the various cruise lines we have been on. Maybe it could be narrowed down to active cruisers (those that have taken a Regent cruise in the past x years). Either way, the numbers would be interesting. I would like to see the numbers broken down by country. One of the highlights of cruising with Regent is all the interesting people I have meet from around the world. Maybe Regent cruisers are more friendly than what I have experienced on other cruise lines?  

I'm sure there are quite a few cruisers on that list who have 'sailed to the great beyond' as Gnomie put it.  You figure someone did a 7-night cruise in 1999 or whenever and was enrolled in bronze, then never sailed again and passed in 2005...they still count as a SSS member.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to get around that unless you either 'deactivate' someone after a certain number of years or start calling all 600,000 folks in your database and ask if they're still around.  Not a viable solution, obviously.

I'd still like to see it broken out by tier and nationality - we've met many people from the UK, Oz, NZ, Germany, Canada, etc...

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm sure there are quite a few cruisers on that list who have 'sailed to the great beyond' as Gnomie put it.  You figure someone did a 7-night cruise in 1999 or whenever and was enrolled in bronze, then never sailed again and passed in 2005...they still count as a SSS member.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to get around that unless you either 'deactivate' someone after a certain number of years or start calling all 600,000 folks in your database and ask if they're still around.  Not a viable solution, obviously.

I'd still like to see it broken out by tier and nationality - we've met many people from the UK, Oz, NZ, Germany, Canada, etc...

That could be done, the airlines remove you from the members roll if you haven't booked a flight - most every 18 months.  600,000 numbers for Regent is a PR number, nothing else and I'm not really interested.  

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

That could be done, the airlines remove you from the members roll if you haven't booked a flight - most every 18 months.  600,000 numbers for Regent is a PR number, nothing else and I'm not really interested.  

Well, yes and no - whether the members are still active or not, there have been well over a half million passengers on Regent cruises...that ain't too shabby.

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I am interested in the breakdown of how many at each tier level and by country. Numbers are my thing so let's geek away. 

Ah, a geek thread.  I'm home...

Jason O - any numbers you'd care to share with us to satisfy our inner (and maybe outer) geekiness??

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Ah, a geek thread.  I'm home...

Jason O - any numbers you'd care to share with us to satisfy our inner (and maybe outer) geekiness??

A geek thread - my favorite!

Jason - Can I please, please, please do the data analysis in Excel???

gnomie 😀

19 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Good start.  Now only 599,998 to go.   :classic_biggrin:

Are you sorry that you started this thread?  I'm sorry I posted the number in my "live" thread?  There are debates already and the information is not out.

Mr. O'Keefe, if you can just give numbers in a list form, most will be grateful.  Hopefully no one over analyzes the numbers, starts trying to count people that have passed, etc.  Giving out the number 600,000 was just informational.  I do know that there are 4 Diamond on this cruise and 2 or 3 Commodore.  If you are onboard and attend the Seven Seas Society party (which we did not attend), they give you numbers. 

Note:  I have discussed this topic with someone onboard that has access to this information.  It has yet to be determined if they want this posted on a public board.

Edited by Travelcat2

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Are you sorry that you started this thread?  I'm sorry I posted the number in my "live" thread?  There are debates already and the information is not out.

Not at all.  I figure if people are interested they can follow this thread and if not, well, we're all free to click or not to click.  I'm actually glad you posted that little bit of trivia - it was very interesting.  And sometimes when I get hold of a little nugget like that it just creates more questions - hence this thread.

Mr. O'Keefe, if you can just give numbers in a list form, most will be grateful.  Hopefully no one over analyzes the numbers, starts trying to count people that have passed, etc.  Giving out the number 600,000 was just informational.  I do know that there are 4 Diamond on this cruise and 2 or 3 Commodore.  If you are onboard and attend the Seven Seas Society party (which we did not attend), they give you numbers. 

I can understand if Regent doesn't want the breakdown made public.  While I don't see how this could cause problems, I'm not in the C Suite of a major cruise operation so I don't pretend to know how protective people need to be.  If the answer from Jason is "Sorry, we can't divulge that information in a public forum" I'd understand.  I'd still be interested, but I'd understand.   :classic_smile:

Note:  I have discussed this topic with someone onboard that has access to this information.  It has yet to be determined if they want this posted on a public board.

See above.  I'm sure whoever on board has this info would want to be 100% certain that corporate is okay with putting it out there.  I know that they do the breakdown on each sailing by tier and nationality and I've always found that to be interesting.  I just thought that it would be cool to have the 'bigger picture' of the passenger breakdown. 

My guess is that we'll either get a "Sorry, proprietary information" post from Jason O or someone else at Regent or this thread will just wither and die in a few days.  I'm just glad to know I'm not the only geek who finds this stuff interesting.   :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Regent should change the special events to "Upper Tier" for Gold thru Platinum and "Top Tier" for Titanium thru Commodore.  That way the smaller top tier could have more inclusive events like they did in the past before the full group got so large.

44 minutes ago, Jymi-B said:

Regent should change the special events to "Upper Tier" for Gold thru Platinum and "Top Tier" for Titanium thru Commodore.  That way the smaller top tier could have more inclusive events like they did in the past before the full group got so large.

I’m only Gold but I think that’s a good idea.  There should be something extra special for the real top tiers, IMO.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, Jason OKeefe said:

I acknowledge the interest in this.  Let me research w/ the team to understand what we can possibly share and will try to come back to this within the next few days.

As a gold from the US, I look forward to whatever you can share!

On 2/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, UUNetBill said:

I’m only Gold but I think that’s a good idea.  There should be something extra special for the real top tiers, IMO.

We are also only gold but think that is a good idea.  Maybe it would depend on the ss numbers for the individual cruise.  

Agree about splitting off at least gold...  in my opinion, it would be a better experience for all involved..  While there are few Diamond and Commodore’s, there are generally 20 something Titanium’s (or more) and a good number of Platinum.  Gold has quite a few members at most events.  

Just another opinion.

I agree also about splitting up and make it a little more special for the top top tiers. We don’t even go to the events any more since they are mostly just another show in the theater with the same performers they have in the after dinner shows.