Disbelief

Solo1959

Weird problem with Wonderland dinner reservations.

On January 6th I signed up for dinner at Wonderland and I paid for it. The reservation is for Night 3 at 5:30pm.

A couple of weeks later I signed up for a shore excursion on Day 4. But the excursion doesn't get back to the ship until after my early dining time.

I went to my Cruise Planner and modified my Wonderland reservation to make it for Night 4 at 6:30pm. This way I can go to the excursion and have time for Wonderland dinner.

It looked like it worked. But the next day, my dinner time went back to Day 3 5:30pm. I tried this numerous times, every time I did it, it looked like it worked, but the next day it always went back to Night 3 at 5:30pm.

I called Royal Carib who took a long time on the phone before they could fine the answer.  They finally discovered that the price of the dinner went up. I had paid $49, but the new price is $54. 

They told me the only way I could change the reservation is to pay the extra $5. 

They told me that sometimes on the ship they might be more flexible, so I could try it there. But they really had no way to fix it over the phone.

I'm only one person, a table for 1, and there are reservations available for my preferred time.

Disbelief that they would be so inflexible. I'm not asking for anything special or weird or unusual.

Can it be? Or did they give me bad information?

Sounds like you originally booked under a sale price and the sale is now over.  So if you cancel and re-book, you have to book under the current price.  We had a similar thing happen with drink packages.  I booked a drink package for my son, then later we changed his cabin and the drink package was cancelled.  I had to re-book under the non-sale price.  It's the rules, you simply have to realize that.  I'd escalate as far as you can, then try again to change it on the ship.  But be prepared to be disappointed.  

• Thanks 1

Well... I'm going to try again when I am on the ship. If they can change it, then all is good. If they can't change it then I'll just cancel. $54 is not the cost of a can of soda. I don't really NEED a Wonderland dinner. If I can make it work for me then I'm happy. If not, then I won't bother. It's all good. 

But I didn't cancel and then changing my mind. I didn't try to cancel it. I tried to modify it using their tool and the site accepted the change. And then THEY canceled it and put it back to the original time. 

It's not "the principle" or "spite." It's just stupidity and I don't have time for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

Sounds like you originally booked under a sale price and the sale is now over.  So if you cancel and re-book, you have to book under the current price.  We had a similar thing happen with drink packages.  I booked a drink package for my son, then later we changed his cabin and the drink package was cancelled.  I had to re-book under the non-sale price.  It's the rules, you simply have to realize that.  I'd escalate as far as you can, then try again to change it on the ship.  But be prepared to be disappointed.  

Do you mean that even if you book it separately, the drink package is attached to the cabin not the passenger so if you move  to a different cabin - let's say take their offer and upgrade, you have rebook the drink packages?

54 minutes ago, nednrom said:

Do you mean that even if you book it separately, the drink package is attached to the cabin not the passenger so if you move  to a different cabin - let's say take their offer and upgrade, you have rebook the drink packages?

If you change cabins or get  upgraded anything you had purchased will follow you to the new cabin.  If you switch passengers from one cabin to another the purchases, whether it’s drink packages, entertainment, shore excursions etc..stay attached to the cabin

8 hours ago, nednrom said:

We changed people in the cabins, not cabins.  Sorry, I probably wasn't clear about that.   Originally we had my son and I in one cabin and my wife and DIL in the other to take advantage of a cheaper rate.   The rates changed so we took advantage of the new one and decided for ease to put my wife with me and my son with his wife.  The drink package stayed with the cabin.  I called Royal and after much discussion, finally accepted it.  Not a big deal, but cost me a bit more for a new package.  

If you upgrade, not sure if the same thing will happen.  I think likely because you are rebooking under a new rate.  In our case, I can see Royal's point.  If my son and I book together and both buy drink packages as per the current rule, then he and my wife switch, it allows only one in each cabin to have the package.  So I suppose I get that.  When we did it, both weren't required to buy the package.  Anyway, it wasn't worth getting too upset about.   I considered it, as I had 3 Crown Lofts and 11 people sailing (kids sale free was the promotion I changed to).  I nearly threatened to cancel over the extra $75 just to see what they'd do, but decided my time was too important to get upset over a few dollars.  Now I'm aware and will ask all ramifications before making any changes.  By the way, the cruise was SPECTACULAR.   So like I told the OP, you can't let a few dollars drive the expectations and enjoyment of an expensive cruise.  😎

Edited by papaflamingo

10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

A new low (high) in stupidity from customer service.  Just change your time onboard. 

I diagree,  Management is probably at fault, the take away the CSR's ability to change the booking at the original price since that would cost the company money.  Big Companies love to let the front line phone people take the blame.