American Just Off Armonia

Cruiser933

On 3/22/2019 at 3:48 PM, Europe Cruiser 05 said:

Thank you Cruiser933! I really appreciate the information.  I think we will get off and try the Tropicana! 

We went to the Tropicana - I included our experience on page 5 in the following:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631573-notes-from-armonia-miami-havana-jan-2019/

22 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Aurea guests have free access to the Top13 Solarium (as the private deck is known).  For others, there's a daily charge (it's €10 pppd on cruises where the currency onboard is Euros, so it'll probably be about $10 - we never checked as we were given complimentary passes).  There's usually a promotional price of 2 for 1 on port days, and half-price (€5) for afternoon access (from 3pm).

Thank you for this information.  I don't have any plans to get off at the ports except for Cuba so the Solarium and Spa will be perfect for port days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We went to the Tropicana - I included our experience on page 5 in the following:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631573-notes-from-armonia-miami-havana-jan-2019/

Thank you Beamafar! I had previously read your review and now went back and reread for the beginning! Your review was very detailed and I really appreciate it. Very difficult to decide what to do for our evening in Havana. 

1 minute ago, Europe Cruiser 05 said:

Thank you Beamafar! I had previously read your review and now went back and reread for the beginning! Your review was very detailed and I really appreciate it. Very difficult to decide what to do for our evening in Havana. 

Have you looked at the Ports of Call section for recommendations?  I reckon you could get to see as good a show in one of the cheaper venues.  TBH, I got very bored very quickly at the Tropicana show - it was very repetitive.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:14 AM, Europe Cruiser 05 said:

If you go to the port of calls page on Cuba there is a similar place that's cheaper and some say it's better... it's in the Hotel Nacional called the Parisien Caberet and I believe it was 35 cuc pp from what others have posted. Thinking about that one myself.

I ended up booking 3 tours with Strawberry - the car tour for the afternoon we arrive, the nightlife (bars/music) for that evening, and the walking tour of historic Havana for the next morning.  I just decided that I'd rather here some local music instead of a big production show.  Somehow, that just seemed a bit too "touristy" although I'm sure the shows are great.

Don't think we're going to plan anything for GC and wing it.  I'm usually solo and won't do that typically.  Still trying to decide what to do in Coz.

I really appreciate that people take the time to write reviews.  I used to write very long, descriptive reviews but have just not done it the past couple of years.  It takes a lot of effort and I guess I just got lazy! ☺️

NCTribe Fan:

Have you taken Strawberry before? What is a typical 'tip' for a free tour?

Will you be on Armonia on 4-8-19 to Cuba. We are thinking of the doing the strawberry tours as well.

We were also thinking of just going into town all day Sunday and wing it.

We would appreciate your input!

On 2/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Thanks for the review, sailing Seaside in April....first timer on MSC...have The Easy drink package, if you had any experience with that, or saw any, any info appreciated.  Thinking of upgrading to Premium.  

How were dining times handled?  I'm used to NCL freestyle.  Or just HIT the buffet.  

There are 3 seating times: Depending on which restaurant you are assigned:

Ipanema 5:15, 7:15, 9:15

Seashore 5:30, 7:30, 9:30

When we booked, we choose late seating and they assigned us 9:30. NO WAY! Upon embarkation, we went straight to dinning and within 30 min we got changed to 5:15. They said, "But you chose late seating"1 yes, but not that late. They put us on list wait list for 7:30 but we stayed at 5:15. It was easier to participate in all nighttime activities with that time. Beside, the buffet reopens at 10:30 for snacks (pizza and sandwiches) and desserts. Below are the current drink packages, Pre Paid as well as On board .

20190324_105016.jpg

20190324_105019.jpg

On 2/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Cruiser933 said:

Continuing on dining since I answered some questions on that ...

MDR - No free lobster, but I don't eat lobster anyway.  Food was good, not great, but on par with other lines.  Most portion sizes were fine, although a couple were too small (main one being lobster ravioli that was an entree but barely enough food for an appetizer).  We mainly ordered the healthy choices which included salmon, grilled chicken, and fruit plates.  The one thing we would have liked was more vegetables as side dishes.  A couple things were odd, such a "strawberry yogurt shake" that was served as a dessert but was really a cold soup.  Service was fine all nights but one which was during the any time dining in Cuba.  As mentioned, dress codes and dining times did not seem to be strictly enforced.  We ate in the dining room most nights, except the two nights are excursions were late returning and the night we ate in Surf & Turf.  We also ate a couple of lunches in the MDR and breakfast on the last day.

Surf & Turf - We had a complimentary meal here due to black status (status match with another line.)  The menu was very limited.  There were only three appetizers, none of which really appealed to us.  I ordered the crab cake anyway even though I normally don't like them, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  Filet was very good, but nothing exceptional.  Sides were also very limited.  I ordered the baked potato which was very small and the mushrooms which was a lot more than I would normally eat on a steak.  We had the red velvet cake which was fine, and the mexican chocolate cake which was extremely salty.  Two other things I will mention is that unlike the MDR, there is no free water here.  You have to pay for water (or use a drinking package or drink coupon.  Also, you are right next to La Pergola, and the waiters from there walk through Surf & Turf with the dirty dishes from La Pergola, ruining the ambiance. I really don't think anyone in Surf & Turf was actually paying for the meal, and I would not be willing to pay for it.

Buffet - I found the buffet to be fine, with a good assortment of choices including a wide variety of fruit.  I never found long lines and never had a problem getting a table.  The pizza area had some odd pizzas (like tuna), but also had some that were absolutely fantastic.  I never ate at the grill.  The gelato was excellent, but was always just chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.  I also wished that the gelato hours were longer.  It closed at 7 and we would have liked gelato in the evening.

Hi, Which other cruise line is matched with MSC ? Didn't realise they owned another line?

• 5 months later...