Shop???

pf778c

It appears Silversea is now pushing overpriced tchotchkes on My Silversea.  Or maybe it's just on my upcoming cruise.

Looking at the reservations page, there is now a link to "Shop" along with the usual links to make dinner & spa reservations, and book shore excursions, hotels, and land tours.  Is there really anyone left in sore need of a Silversea bookmark or luggage tag?  Or is this one of the first influences of RCCL?

• 2 weeks later...

This may be the least of Silversea management’s worries at this time.  

This looks like a trial balloon.  Positive:  passengers get whatever they buy delivered right to their suite.  However, looking at the selection, I fully agree that this can be ignored with no harm done!

Reaction to just 3 of the 12 items:

The $15 penguin looks forlorn, not cuddly like the Silversea teddy bear of some years ago. The $59 beauty case, notably empty, seems less enticing than the average airline business or first class amenity kit.  The $59 leather document holder has no RFID blocking. 

Merchandising to the Mysilversea crowd plays to a tough audience. As a group, we have been shopping all over this planet for decades,  are not afraid of looking at the value of things in terms of price vs. quality, and collectively  have a lot of common sense. The on-board boutiques miss the mark for us.  This online offer does too.  

Putting things right would likely likely be highly profitable for the concessionaire (I am open to correction, but do believe the boutiques are outsourced) and the line, and pleasant for the passengers. This cannot be a complex MBA case study.

Good quality, desirable, cute, value priced, amusing, useful, nice gift, souvenir, accessory, immediately useful... all these possible attributes help the impulse buyer along. It does boil down to understanding what customers need, want and aspire to.  

I must be the only one taking advantage of the leather coasters @ $69 and bookmark @ $19 :classic_tongue:

I jest......... I'm shocked no one commented that it was the same items for sale each day and no menu change on the entire cruise! (Still time for that though! I can think of someone who might!)

I would be surprised if there was even one order placed, though I suspect they might sell some if these items when people get desperate with spending their OBC from the boutique.

Edited by les37b

On 3/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, christraveller said:

The $15 penguin looks forlorn, not cuddly like the Silversea teddy bear of some years ago.

Looks as if they have sold out of the penguin!

Interesting to see that on the drop down menu there is a choice to select "Silversea Kids" which would indicate a page full of goodies for children.  Alas, that is not the case as the selection merely serves an empty page asking one to select another category.

47 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Looks as if they have sold out of the penguin!

Interesting to see that on the drop down menu there is a choice to select "Silversea Kids" which would indicate a page full of goodies for children.  Alas, that is not the case as the selection merely serves an empty page asking one to select another category.

I think they had s surge of purchases from parents not wishing their kids missed out. They’re just awaiting new stock to meet demand I’m sure. 

Either that or it must be Brexit causing these shortages of stock with lorry loads parked on the M20 unable to reach the store.

Let’s hope the goodies are back in stock within the next 21 days as I had planned to bring an extra suitcase to fetch home all these gifts I was going to buy!

41D293CB-BFAB-4EEA-A2EE-BFB76ED78375.png

Edited by les37b
  • Haha 1