New Beverage Packages

CruisingNole

8 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

This is what I want to find out more about!  Avoid Carnival-why?  How are the drink packages on Norwegian better priced when someone on here said it's $118pp and the per drink limit is $15 while Carnival is $56 pp and the limit is $20.  I'm curious to try Norwegian but really need more info before making that choice.  Please enlighten me with your opinion!

Hang in there, this will get a little weird to explain.  The difference is, nobody who wants the drink package on NCL actually pays a straight $118/pp.  It's a little more complicated than that.

Norwegian offers their drink package as one of their "perks" on booking, along with specialty dining, shore excursion credit, etc.  If you select that perk, you don't pay the base $99/day, but you do pay 20% gratuity, so call it $20/day.  That gets you any alcoholic beverage within a $15 limit.  For me personally, that's all I need.  

This new package being offered by NCL will allow you to add specialty coffees and bottled waters, and removes the $15 cap on alcohol.  For that, you add another $34.80/day ($29+20% gratuity), bringing your total per day to $54.80.

Carnival's drink package I'll assume is still $56/day, though in my research it seems to vary a bit.  They're going to add 20% gratuity as well, so the true cost is $67.20/day.  That gets you the same beverages as NCL, but with $20 and 15/day limits.

Now, what most people will argue is that NCL's fares are higher to make up for the cost of the perks they offer.  I find this to generally be true.  However, there's more that you're getting with those NCL perks than just a drink package.  In my situation for my next NCL cruise in January 2020, I'm not only getting the drink package, but I'm also getting 3 meals of specialty dining, $50 shorex credit per port, and wifi.  

Again, I don't need the premium drink package for NCL, so my cost for the drink package on a 7 day cruise is $140 ($20/day).  My cost for the only drink package available on Carnival would be $470 ($67.20/day).  Add in the value of $100 shorex credits (visiting 3 ports on my cruise and I will likely book excursions on 2 of the 3) and about $100 in specialty dining (rough estimate, that could vary depending on your restaurant), and the Carnival booking would need to be about $500/pp less than the NCL booking to be a better value.  

FOR ME.  Again, super-duper emphasis on FOR ME.  Not everyone has the same preferences I do.  The $15 limit on the NCL package matters to some.  Specialty coffees and bottled waters matter to some.  Shorex credits and specialty dining don't matter to some.  Everyone wants something different out of their vacation, and ultimately NCL seems to get closest to what I want at the most reasonable price.  

Oh, and as for why I avoid Carnival... again, that's a personal choice thing.  In my own personal experience, Carnival has been a lesser overall experience than NCL.  I'm not going to claim to be the absolute authority on these things, my own experience is limited so far.  But they say that Carnival is like the Wal-Mart of cruise lines, and I've found that to be a fair comparison.  NCL is more like the Target of cruise lines... yes, it's still mass market and everything, but it's a bit of a step up in my opinion.  And honestly, I WANT mass market.  I want the big, flashy ships, which is why Celebrity and MSC don't do anything for me.  

As with anything else in life, your mileage may vary.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Hang in there, this will get a little weird to explain.  The difference is, nobody who wants the drink package on NCL actually pays a straight $118/pp.  It's a little more complicated than that.

Norwegian offers their drink package as one of their "perks" on booking, along with specialty dining, shore excursion credit, etc.  If you select that perk, you don't pay the base $99/day, but you do pay 20% gratuity, so call it $20/day.  That gets you any alcoholic beverage within a $15 limit.  For me personally, that's all I need.  

This new package being offered by NCL will allow you to add specialty coffees and bottled waters, and removes the $15 cap on alcohol.  For that, you add another $34.80/day ($29+20% gratuity), bringing your total per day to $54.80.

Carnival's drink package I'll assume is still $56/day, though in my research it seems to vary a bit.  They're going to add 20% gratuity as well, so the true cost is $67.20/day.  That gets you the same beverages as NCL, but with $20 and 15/day limits.

Now, what most people will argue is that NCL's fares are higher to make up for the cost of the perks they offer.  I find this to generally be true.  However, there's more that you're getting with those NCL perks than just a drink package.  In my situation for my next NCL cruise in January 2020, I'm not only getting the drink package, but I'm also getting 3 meals of specialty dining, $50 shorex credit per port, and wifi.  

Again, I don't need the premium drink package for NCL, so my cost for the drink package on a 7 day cruise is $140 ($20/day).  My cost for the only drink package available on Carnival would be $470 ($67.20/day).  Add in the value of $100 shorex credits (visiting 3 ports on my cruise and I will likely book excursions on 2 of the 3) and about $100 in specialty dining (rough estimate, that could vary depending on your restaurant), and the Carnival booking would need to be about $500/pp less than the NCL booking to be a better value.  

FOR ME.  Again, super-duper emphasis on FOR ME.  Not everyone has the same preferences I do.  The $15 limit on the NCL package matters to some.  Specialty coffees and bottled waters matter to some.  Shorex credits and specialty dining don't matter to some.  Everyone wants something different out of their vacation, and ultimately NCL seems to get closest to what I want at the most reasonable price.  

Oh, and as for why I avoid Carnival... again, that's a personal choice thing.  In my own personal experience, Carnival has been a lesser overall experience than NCL.  I'm not going to claim to be the absolute authority on these things, my own experience is limited so far.  But they say that Carnival is like the Wal-Mart of cruise lines, and I've found that to be a fair comparison.  NCL is more like the Target of cruise lines... yes, it's still mass market and everything, but it's a bit of a step up in my opinion.  And honestly, I WANT mass market.  I want the big, flashy ships, which is why Celebrity and MSC don't do anything for me.  

good post and you pretty much share my view. We are happy with the selection of liquor brands: big deal bottled water, what is wrong with regular water or bring your own empty bottle on board and just refill it with water from the cabin. It is good and very safe to drink. As for specialty coffee, not something most of us need or even care that much about. I know there are some who do. Now add the 3 specialty dinners, the booze, the wifi and the shore excursion which is what we are getting as well in Oct and I have no complaints. It is win win in our book.

Great summary...if one chooses to go with the "Premium" upgrade and is paying $54.80 per day, that would be a total of $383.60 for a 7 day cruise...

So really, the only benefit of this "premium" upgrade is specialty coffees, bottled water, and some alcohol brands that are above $15 (e.g. Hendricks gin). If you stay with the $20 per day package, and order a drink for $18, will you still only be charged $3? or is that changing too?

Edited by kenns
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kenns said:

Great summary...if one chooses to go with the "Premium" upgrade and is paying $54.80 per day, that would be a total of $383.60 for a 7 day cruise...

So really, the only benefit of this "premium" upgrade is specialty coffees, bottled water, and some alcohol brands that are above $15 (e.g. Hendricks gin). If you stay with the $20 per day package, and order a drink for $18, will you still only be charged $3? or is that changing too?

Assuming we're still treating this as fact...

21 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-rolls-out-new-drink-package-pricing/

Those with the lower-level package can, of course, order top-shelf liquors and simply pay the price difference. In other words, if they order an $18 drink, the package would cover $15 and their account would be charged the difference. To find out which beverages are covered by the Ultimate Beverage package, the list can be found here. And guests who have the Ultimate Beverage Package can upgrade to the Premium-Plus plan at a cost of $34.80 per person, per day, including the 20 percent gratuity. Guests are able to upgrade once they are on board.

Then yes, you'd be charged only the difference.  $3.60 actually, the $3 difference plus 20% gratuity.

The “new” drink package has no benefit to me, either.  I’m fine with the UBP perk the way it is.

And, regardless of which line I’m cruising (and I’ve cruised most that sail out of the U.S.), it always cost more to pick your own cabin, regardless.  So, if I already have to pay more to pick my cabin, then I’ll take the perks NCL offers as a bonus (specialty dining, drink package, internet minutes, excursion credits).

Really!,, free not free, worth it ? Come on, why do people think that a cruise line is a charity? You are FREE to make your own choice. Personally I book early, choose my room and perks and pay, not looking to nickel and dime the cruise line. Just get real the value of anything is what a person is willing to pay

4 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

So I think your post is pretty much true / right / valid. My concern is if the new tier of drink package will erode the value of the current UBP buy moving more and more basic beverages out of the $15 range. As I said in an earlier post I've already witnessed first hand how a simple glass of wine from a bottle you'd buy for $12 on shore was now over the $15 threshold. So - yes - that wine at $18 or $19 / glass will cost the UBPer $3-4 + 20% ($3.60 - $4.80) so its not a show stopper but if that happens ~5 times a day on a 7 day cruise that "perq" just cost you an additional $126 - $168 for the week. Clearly the ~$29 / day plus 20% pricing has been carefully calculated.

I'll be honest I'm not all that fussed about mixed drinks because I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to differentiate the well brand of vodka from a top-shelf brand when it's the kick in a spicy Caesar or some ultra-sweet martini. The proof will come when a proper pint eclipses the $15 threshold... my experience shows wines by the glass to be moving in this direction already.

From NCLs perspective, however, if sailing capacities are trending level or upward, they are "listening" to the consumer as the consumer continues to vote in favour with cold, hard cash.

5 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

So I think your post is pretty much true / right / valid. My concern is if the new tier of drink package will erode the value of the current UBP buy moving more and more basic beverages out of the $15 range.

Yeah I hear you, and I think that’s a legitimate concern depending on your alcohol of choice. I’m easy. I’ll happily knock back well mixed drinks all the live long day. But if you’re a wine drinker, or something like bourbon is more your thing, I can understand. I personally enjoy tequilas, and I was already somewhat disappointed with the limited options there.

So we booked our first NCL cruise since drink packages have been introduced and was surprised it didn't include specialty coffees and bottle water since we've booked several RCI which includes those.  I was excited to see this thread until I saw the price.  When I read the article from the link I thought it meant that upgrade included the original 20% per day we paid but I see it doesn't.  There is no way I'm paying an extra $35 a day for coffee and water.  I'll order the water package for $20 and just pay for my one to two coffees per day.  The price of drink package is getting way out of hand. 

• Like 1

As it's been discussed before NCL knows their beverage package isn't worth anywhere near $99. To be honest, I don't think a single person buys a package at that price.

There's only 1 reason why NCL prices the UBP at $99 per person: SERVICE CHARGE

NCL has the highest price on the UBP and the highest service charge percentage in the industry. So they charge you a higher percentage of a higher number and you are basically paying 1/4 what other cruise lines charge for their beverage package. Then you couple that with the extra $300-400-500 it costs per person to choose a fare that includes the perks and NCL is robbing you blind! Why do you think NCL has the highest margins in the industry? Because too many people are too dumb to realize they're getting hosed!

I know I know...i'm ducking because the NCL cheerleaders are all over the place. I get it. There's a reason the NCL board on Cruise Critic has the most complaints out of any of the cruise boards. NCL will nickel and dime you to death and so many of you are happy to pay.

NCL is nowhere close to being the most economical. As a matter of fact, I can sail on MSC Seaside in the Yacht Club for the cost of a mini-suite on NCL. I can sail on Celebrity with a beverage package and other perks for $1,000 less per cabin. RCL even by buying the beverage package usually comes out a little cheaper than NCL. But hey...you love those FREE perks right?

Also, as others have said...this new program will just lead to NCL pricing more and more drinks above the $15 threshold so that more people ultimately pay for the upgrade or if they don't...they end up paying a few bucks a drink. Either way...more money in their coffers!

• Like 3

s long as there is at one decent scotch on the $15 of under list and a Malbec hubby and I are not going to complain. it is still fun when vacationing to be able to have a drink and not worry about an additional cost at the end of the cruise. I hate to see that final bill when we buy our drinks one at a time I will add, we are not huge drinkers, but certainly do our share. And as for coffee if this is your thing either pay the extra price or find a cruise line that fits your needs. 

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

s long as there is at one decent scotch on the $15 of under list and a Malbec hubby and I are not going to complain. it is still fun when vacationing to be able to have a drink and not worry about an additional cost at the end of the cruise. I hate to see that final bill when we buy our drinks one at a time I will add, we are not huge drinkers, but certainly do our share. And as for coffee if this is your thing either pay the extra price or find a cruise line that fits your needs. 

You realize you can buy a beverage package on any cruise line right? You’re buying it on NCL so...

41 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

You realize you can buy a beverage package on any cruise line right? You’re buying it on NCL so...

of course I realize that: If I don't I must be dingier that I thought. with 40 plus cruises under my belt I pretty much keep up with what is going on. 

13 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

As it's been discussed before NCL knows their beverage package isn't worth anywhere near $99. To be honest, I don't think a single person buys a package at that price.

There's only 1 reason why NCL prices the UBP at $99 per person: SERVICE CHARGE

NCL has the highest price on the UBP and the highest service charge percentage in the industry. So they charge you a higher percentage of a higher number and you are basically paying 1/4 what other cruise lines charge for their beverage package. Then you couple that with the extra $300-400-500 it costs per person to choose a fare that includes the perks and NCL is robbing you blind! Why do you think NCL has the highest margins in the industry? Because too many people are too dumb to realize they're getting hosed!

I know I know...i'm ducking because the NCL cheerleaders are all over the place. I get it. There's a reason the NCL board on Cruise Critic has the most complaints out of any of the cruise boards. NCL will nickel and dime you to death and so many of you are happy to pay.

NCL is nowhere close to being the most economical. As a matter of fact, I can sail on MSC Seaside in the Yacht Club for the cost of a mini-suite on NCL. I can sail on Celebrity with a beverage package and other perks for $1,000 less per cabin. RCL even by buying the beverage package usually comes out a little cheaper than NCL. But hey...you love those FREE perks right?

Also, as others have said...this new program will just lead to NCL pricing more and more drinks above the $15 threshold so that more people ultimately pay for the upgrade or if they don't...they end up paying a few bucks a drink. Either way...more money in their coffers!

I looked at every cruise line, every option and NCL was the cheapest by a decent margin if I included the drink package on all the trips. My wife and I like to drink on vacation and it is a must for us to have the package. Celebrity was the closest but they just didn't have enough on the Equinox for me to enjoy. Now time of year may change this of course. People know they aren't FREE perks so being condescending like that really isnt necessary. 

2 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I really enjoy the assumption that people couldn’t possibly book NCL without actually knowing what they’re doing. 

LOL exactly. I looked for weeks and priced options out on every website I could find. 

28 minutes ago, Pwrmaster7 said:

I looked at every cruise line, every option and NCL was the cheapest by a decent margin if I included the drink package on all the trips. My wife and I like to drink on vacation and it is a must for us to have the package. Celebrity was the closest but they just didn't have enough on the Equinox for me to enjoy. Now time of year may change this of course. People know they aren't FREE perks so being condescending like that really isnt necessary. 

Its not condescending...just look at the dozens of posts about people saying they get the perks for free or just for service charge. It’s quite sad, I’m just pointing out the obvious.

Also, what do you mean by the Equinox doesn’t have enough to do? It’s jist slightly smaller then the Breakaway and unless you have kids or are a water slide lover I don’t think the Celebrity ships have less to do. The service on Celebrity on its own blows NCL out of the water.

Not sure when you were looking at your cruise but everyone I priced out ended up being more expensive on NCL. Couldn’t find a balcony with perks under $3k for 2 people. Whereas we booked out Aqua balcony for $2,600 with a ton of OBC.

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Its not condescending...just look at the dozens of posts about people saying they get the perks for free or just for service charge. It’s quite sad, I’m just pointing out the obvious.

Also, what do you mean by the Equinox doesn’t have enough to do? It’s jist slightly smaller then the Breakaway and unless you have kids or are a water slide lover I don’t think the Celebrity ships have less to do. The service on Celebrity on its own blows NCL out of the water.

Not sure when you were looking at your cruise but everyone I priced out ended up being more expensive on NCL. Couldn’t find a balcony with perks under $3k for 2 people. Whereas we booked out Aqua balcony for $2,600 with a ton of OBC.

The Equinox is 25% smaller and 4 years older than the Breakaway... and that’s if you’re cherry-picking the Breakaway as NCL ship to compare with. You’re not comparing apples to apples. 

If if you don’t grasp how your tone is coming off as condescending when you’re pointing out the “obvious” to the “sad”, I’m not sure what to tell you. 

3 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

The Equinox is 25% smaller and 4 years older than the Breakaway... and that’s if you’re cherry-picking the Breakaway as NCL ship to compare with. You’re not comparing apples to apples. 

If if you don’t grasp how your tone is coming off as condescending when you’re pointing out the “obvious” to the “sad”, I’m not sure what to tell you. 

First off 4 years when comparing 2 ships that are 6 and 10 years old respectively means absolutely nothing. Especially since the Equinox is entering an extensive dry dock in a couple of months.

Also, the Equinox isn't 25% smaller. NCL just fits a lot more people in the same amount of space. Let's compare the 2 ships:

Gross tonnage -

Equinox = 121,878

Breakaway = 145,655

The Breakaway is 19% heavier.

Length -

Equinox = 1,041 ft

Breakaway = 1,068 ft

The Breakaway is 2.5% longer.

Number of decks -

Equinox = 19

Breakaway = 18

Equinox has 1 additional deck.

Cabin size Interior -

Breakaway = 130-150 sq ft

Equinox = 185-200 sq ft

Equinox inside cabins are 23-54% larger.

Cabin size Oceanview -

Breakaway = 160 sq ft

Equinox = 175 sq ft

Equinox oceanview cabins are 9% larger.

Cabin size Balcony -

Breakaway = 170 sq ft

Equinox =  195 sq ft

Equinox oceanview cabins are 15% larger.

Cruisemapper passenger to space ratio -

Breakaway = 30

Equinox = 36

Equinox has a better passenger to space ratio.

Basically, unless you like to have less space or you have kids coming with you...the Equinox beats the Breakaway in nearly every category. The Equinox is the winner of the CruiseCritic cruisers choice award in 2018 for best overall cruise ship, best cruise ship for dining, best for public areas, best for service, and 2nd best for value (behind the Silhouette). The Breakaway (or any other NCL ship) isn't in the top 5 in any of those categories. So which ship is better? 

9 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

First off 4 years when comparing 2 ships that are 6 and 10 years old respectively means absolutely nothing. Especially since the Equinox is entering an extensive dry dock in a couple of months.

Also, the Equinox isn't 25% smaller. NCL just fits a lot more people in the same amount of space. Let's compare the 2 ships:

Gross tonnage -

Equinox = 121,878

Breakaway = 145,655

Length -

Equinox = 1,041 ft

Breakaway = 1,068 ft

Number of decks -

Equinox = 19

Breakaway = 18

Cabin size Interior -

Equinox = 185-200 sq ft

Cabin size Oceanview -

Breakaway = 160 sq ft

Equinox = 175 sq ft

Cabin size Balcony -

Breakaway = 170 sq ft

Equinox =  195 sq ft

Breakaway = 30

Equinox = 36

Basically, unless you like to have less space or you have kids coming with you...the Equinox beats the Breakaway in nearly every category. The Equinox is the winner of the CruiseCritic cruisers choice award in 2018 for best overall cruise ship, best cruise ship for dining, best for public areas, best for service, and 2nd best for value (behind the Silhouette). The Breakaway (or any other NCL ship) isn't in the top 5 in any of those categories. So which ship is better? 

I guess it boils down to how you do the math, but thee is a huge difference in a ship that is 4 years older than another ship. This also boils down to what you want out of your cruise and why one person chooses one line and another chooses an other.. I do not think there is a right or wrong, and it hard for me to understand why someone who obviously doesn't like a particular cruise line would bother posting. It serves no purpose what so ever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I guess it boils down to how you do the math, but thee is a huge difference in a ship that is 4 years older than another ship. This also boils down to what you want out of your cruise and why one person chooses one line and another chooses an other.. I do not think there is a right or wrong, and it hard for me to understand why someone who obviously doesn't like a particular cruise line would bother posting. It serves no purpose what so ever. 

Its not about disliking Norwegian, they have a good product. It’s about disliking the corporate culture of squeezing every nickel out of you possible and the fact that NCL cruises are no longer a good value for the money you pay. The competition simply offers more bang for your buck and based on what NCL executives are saying...it’s just gonna get worse.

Also, for ships nearly a decade old...4 years makes absolutely no difference. None whatsoever. If you’re talking a 1 year old and 5 year old ship...then yes. But 9 years old or 13 years old makes 0 difference to anyone. At that point it’s all about which ship has been maintained better and which one had the last extensive dry dock...which the Equinox will have in a couple of months.

Edited by DaCruiseBug

13 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Gross tonnage -

Equinox = 121,878

Breakaway = 145,655

Length -

Equinox = 1,041 ft

Breakaway = 1,068 ft

Number of decks -

Equinox = 19

Breakaway = 18

Cabin size Interior -

Equinox = 185-200 sq ft

Cabin size Oceanview -

Breakaway = 160 sq ft

Equinox = 175 sq ft

Cabin size Balcony -

Breakaway = 170 sq ft

Equinox =  195 sq ft

Breakaway = 30

Equinox = 36

Gosh, you’re right. I’m going to cancel my booking on the brand-new Encore right away so I can sail on a more sedate cruise line’s 10 year old ship. From what I can see, my fellow cruisers on that Celebrity sailing will be fun, accepting folks and not at all bitter. Plus I guess my room will be bigger. 

Its almost like the relevancy of the age of the ship is subjective. It’s almost like the popularity vote on a website might be subjective. It’s almost like different people might want different things out of their vacation, which was my entire point. 

Selling your opinion as absolute truth is condescending, and it’s definitely taken us a long way from the original point of this thread. So I hope you enjoy whatever vacation is best for you. And I hope it continues to be a different vacation than mine. 

8 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Gosh, you’re right. I’m going to cancel my booking on the brand-new Encore right away so I can sail on a more sedate cruise line’s 10 year old ship. From what I can see, my fellow cruisers on that Celebrity sailing will be fun, accepting folks and not at all bitter. Plus I guess my room will be bigger. 

Its almost like the relevancy of the age of the ship is subjective. It’s almost like the popularity vote on a website might be subjective. It’s almost like different people might want different things out of their vacation, which was my entire point. 

Selling your opinion as absolute truth is condescending, and it’s definitely taken us a long way from the original point of this thread. So I hope you enjoy whatever vacation is best for you. And I hope it continues to be a different vacation than mine. 

I certainly will enjoy my vacation and all the extra cash I saved from cruising on another cruise line. 

Btw: Cruise critic awards aren’t my opinion but perhaps a collection of the most widely accepted opinions. There’s a reason Equinox won and the Bliss (brand new) didn’t.

Edited by DaCruiseBug