New Beverage Packages

CruisingNole

Can anyone confirm how the never beverage packages work?

It is my understanding that the "old" beverage package is still a "free perk," plus the 20% fee.Or in other words, $19.80/day. You may then upgrade to the "new" more inclusive beverage package for $29/day plus 20% fee which comes to $34.80/day.

So total for the "new" package will be $54.60/day (assuming you get the "free perk.")

That's essentially what every other cruise line charges (more in some cases).

Am I missing anything? 

This is how I think the new package it.  And yes, you are correct.  Carnival charges $51.95 a day plus 18% gratuity ($61.30 per day).  The Cheers package is equivalent to the new beverage package on NCL, they included specialty coffee and bottle water.  But Carnival also includes spiked milk shakes at the Shake Spot, in additional to regular milk shakes.

So basically, NCL is offering a "FREE" drink package that cost the same as other cruise lines, LOL!  What a deal NCL!  But Carnival's Cheers package is much better! 

"Shaking my head", NCL!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

This is how I think the new package it.  And yes, you are correct.  Carnival charges $51.95 a day plus 18% gratuity ($61.30 per day).  The Cheers package is equivalent to the new beverage package on NCL, they included specialty coffee and bottle water.  But Carnival also includes spiked milk shakes at the Shake Spot, in additional to regular milk shakes.

So basically, NCL is offering a "FREE" drink package that cost the same as other cruise lines, LOL!  What a deal NCL!  But Carnival's Cheers package is much better! 

"Shaking my head", NCL!

Carnival does have a limit, and yes, folks on the Carnival board complain about it, come up with work arounds..like buying your drinks when you get to a certain point daily to keep from getting cut off...so it's a trade off...

I was hoping NCL would let you pay the extra tips on the above and beyond beverage package and let it ride...until it gets rolled fleet wide, and a few sailings have reviews, I guess we'll have to see how this is received.  

25 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

"Shaking my head", NCL!

ANY other cruise line drink package is far better than NCL......

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have a question will I get the same pre-mixed drinks paying as I go in April that I got on the package last Aug.? I didn't bother with the free perk this trip as it's not worth 124. in tax and tips each (248.for both of us) for a free perk just doesn't seem very free to me. Just curious as to what the difference will be on our next trip in quality of mixed drinks. Will I get the better drinks others with the higher package will be getting? Not a big drinker but would like a little something in my cosmo :).

I can't understand all the complaints about the drink package when the alternative is paying for all your drinks.

My last cruise I drank between 5 to 10 drinks per day depending if it was a port day or not.  So roughly 50 (man that seems like a lot :classic_blink:, but it was a vacation so no worries) for the whole week and that cost me $140.  I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cdnsteelman said:

So here's my question... with this premium option now in place how many drinks that were previously $15 or less (this included in the free at sea perq package) have mysteriously now increased in price?

Well if you have some free time, this should answer your questions.   Seriously though, read the first 3 pages and the last few.  They have the start of, the end of, and NCL's response (yup NCL rep responded in the chat) to the new system and how it was implemented.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2626038-not-happy-with-liquor-up-charges/

Edited by Aesop081
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

The link that the NCL rep posted does not show anything about an upgrade package.  It still only shows the UBP at $99+20%.

I linked that thread because it was the start of the UBP upcharging and the discovery of the new SUPER...whatever pkg.  And that in that thread there is a line of discussions of the increase in pricing of quite a lot of the drinks so that most of them no longer fell into the UBP 15 pricing to force a decision to purchase the new add on package.  About 3/4 of the way through the thread, maybe sooner, NCL started backing off the massive price increases to include more into the UBP but still increased the overall cost of almost all drinks.  That was the end question in the post I was responding to.

3 minutes ago, Aesop081 said:

I linked that thread because it was the start of the UBP upcharging and the discovery of the new SUPER...whatever pkg.  And that in that thread there is a line of discussions of the increase in pricing of quite a lot of the drinks so that most of them no longer fell into the UBP 15 pricing to force a decision to purchase the new add on package.  About 3/4 of the way through the thread, maybe sooner, NCL started backing off the massive price increases to include more into the UBP but still increased the overall cost of almost all drinks.  That was the end question in the post I was responding to.

Yes I understand.  I'm just pointing out that NCL has not updated the website to reflect the different levels of the packages yet.

22 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Yes I understand.  I'm just pointing out that NCL has not updated the website to reflect the different levels of the packages yet.

Here's where I found it. I admit, I am unaware as to how trustworthy this site is.

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-rolls-out-new-drink-package-pricing/

For years, Norwegian has offered the Ultimate Beverage Package, both as a “free” perk when booking and as a for-fee addition to your cruise package. Now, that package will be renamed the Premium Beverage Package, and a second program — the Premium-Plus Package — will also be available. The latter will not be available as a free perk, but it will offer a much wider range of covered drinks.

The Ultimate Beverage package currently costs $118.80 per person, per day (including 20 percent gratuity) and allows guests to order any cocktails, wines by the glass, or beer — bottled or draft — that cost $15 or less. The package also includes unlimited sodas and juices at all of the bars, lounges, and restaurants found on the fleet’s ships, as well as on their private island destination, Great Stirrup Cay.

The new Premium-Plus package is described as the line’s “top beverage offering” and is essentially designed for people who prefer top-shelf liquors. It covers all beverages by the glass with no price cap, bottled waters (still or sparkling), energy drinks and specialty coffees (including at onboard Starbucks kiosks), and select bottles of wine when dining.

The Premium-Plus package also offers a 40 percent discount on all other bottles of wine as well as on tastings or flights. It’s available to purchase pre-cruise and will run you $153.60 per person, per day (including the 20 percent gratuity).

Those with the lower-level package can, of course, order top-shelf liquors and simply pay the price difference. In other words, if they order an $18 drink, the package would cover $15 and their account would be charged the difference. To find out which beverages are covered by the Ultimate Beverage package, the list can be found here. And guests who have the Ultimate Beverage Package can upgrade to the Premium-Plus plan at a cost of $34.80 per person, per day, including the 20 percent gratuity. Guests are able to upgrade once they are on board.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

The link that the NCL rep posted does not show anything about an upgrade package.  It still only shows the UBP at $99+20%.

I don't think the new Super Deluxe Everything Included Premium package will be rolled out fleet-wide until sometime in March, so they probably won't update the website until it does.

1 hour ago, CruisingNole said:

Here's where I found it. I admit, I am unaware as to how trustworthy this site is.

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-cruise-line-rolls-out-new-drink-package-pricing/

For years, Norwegian has offered the Ultimate Beverage Package, both as a “free” perk when booking and as a for-fee addition to your cruise package. Now, that package will be renamed the Premium Beverage Package, and a second program — the Premium-Plus Package — will also be available. The latter will not be available as a free perk, but it will offer a much wider range of covered drinks.

The Ultimate Beverage package currently costs $118.80 per person, per day (including 20 percent gratuity) and allows guests to order any cocktails, wines by the glass, or beer — bottled or draft — that cost $15 or less. The package also includes unlimited sodas and juices at all of the bars, lounges, and restaurants found on the fleet’s ships, as well as on their private island destination, Great Stirrup Cay.

The new Premium-Plus package is described as the line’s “top beverage offering” and is essentially designed for people who prefer top-shelf liquors. It covers all beverages by the glass with no price cap, bottled waters (still or sparkling), energy drinks and specialty coffees (including at onboard Starbucks kiosks), and select bottles of wine when dining.

The Premium-Plus package also offers a 40 percent discount on all other bottles of wine as well as on tastings or flights. It’s available to purchase pre-cruise and will run you $153.60 per person, per day (including the 20 percent gratuity).

Those with the lower-level package can, of course, order top-shelf liquors and simply pay the price difference. In other words, if they order an $18 drink, the package would cover $15 and their account would be charged the difference. To find out which beverages are covered by the Ultimate Beverage package, the list can be found here. And guests who have the Ultimate Beverage Package can upgrade to the Premium-Plus plan at a cost of $34.80 per person, per day, including the 20 percent gratuity. Guests are able to upgrade once they are on board.

OH MY GOD!! That's ridiculous!  Carnival's package is way cheaper!  And the limit is $20 per drink not $15!  Wow!!

3 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I can't understand all the complaints about the drink package when the alternative is paying for all your drinks.

My last cruise I drank between 5 to 10 drinks per day depending if it was a port day or not.  So roughly 50 (man that seems like a lot :classic_blink:, but it was a vacation so no worries) for the whole week and that cost me $140.  I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Sounds like you took good advantage of the package!!!

It can be viewed in multiple ways. The cost of the package that is marketed as free can be more than $140 on a seven day sailing. If you don't care where you cabin location is, you can book a guaranteed stateroom which includes no perks. If you want to enjoy the promotions marketed as free, you have to book a higher fare which includes the option to pick your own stateroom. Often times, the difference between the guarantee rate and the rate that allows you to select your cabin location and includes perks marketed as free can be $200-$300 per person. So, an argument can be made that you have to pay $200-$300 per person more just to book a fare that includes a drink package. Then, you have the $140 industry leading service charge on top of. All this for the poorest drink package in the industry when compared to the competition. It just depends how you look at it, but for a party of two, the difference between the guarantee stateroom assignment and the promotions marketed as free can easily be $500-$800 more.

Let me first say that I wish they hadn't changed the package (twice since we sailed in 2016). But I just got off my first Carnival cruise and I really missed the NCL program.  Two things about Carnival.  First, there is a 15 drink limit per day.  I don't want to start a debate on drinking too much but I did hit my limit on our last night.  Second, I am a single malt scotch drinker and I akways tip an extra buck but the pours were in a shot glass and did not cover the ice.  I had to wait 5 minutes to order another to make a decent drink.  On NCL the bartenders were much more generous. 

I'll get a first-hand look at this in a couple of weeks on the Pearl as I was on the Epic in December and there were already a significant number of drinks that had elevated beyond the $15 UBP limit - including so very basic wines by the glass that they had the audacity to want ~$18-19 for (when you could buy that bottle on land for ~$12). Shakers was using well-brands for their "covered" martinis. I was happy that they had Newscastle Brown on tap in several locations and a proper pint was under the $15 threshold - wonder what I'll find in a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Sounds like you took good advantage of the package!!!

It can be viewed in multiple ways. The cost of the package that is marketed as free can be more than $140 on a seven day sailing. If you don't care where you cabin location is, you can book a guaranteed stateroom which includes no perks. If you want to enjoy the promotions marketed as free, you have to book a higher fare which includes the option to pick your own stateroom. Often times, the difference between the guarantee rate and the rate that allows you to select your cabin location and includes perks marketed as free can be $200-$300 per person. So, an argument can be made that you have to pay $200-$300 per person more just to book a fare that includes a drink package. Then, you have the $140 industry leading service charge on top of. All this for the poorest drink package in the industry when compared to the competition. It just depends how you look at it, but for a party of two, the difference between the guarantee stateroom assignment and the promotions marketed as free can easily be $500-$800 more.

Bingo! I can't believe how many people say that the beverage package just costs them $140 per week. You have at least $300 additional built in to the cruise fare. The perks aren't free...they're just included with certain fares. Celebrity does the same thing, they have a base fare and then you can choose how many perks you want and pay extra depending on that but they don't call them free.

On most cruises the difference between a sailaway fare and the cheapest fare with perks is $300 or more (i've seen as much as $600).

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Bingo! I can't believe how many people say that the beverage package just costs them $140 per week. You have at least $300 additional built in to the cruise fare. The perks aren't free...they're just included with certain fares. Celebrity does the same thing, they have a base fare and then you can choose how many perks you want and pay extra depending on that but they don't call them free.

On most cruises the difference between a sailaway fare and the cheapest fare with perks is $300 or more (i've seen as much as $600).

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

You have to wonder how many more folks would opt for "sail away" fare vs. Free at Sea if they were able to choose their cabin ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

You have to wonder how many more folks would opt for "sail away" fare vs. Free at Sea if they were able to choose their cabin ?

If you look at pricing for other cruise lines you usually pay up to $50 per person to choose your cabin. Meaning the difference between a guarantee and a cabin that you actually pick. Lowest category of course.

One of the reasons I like Celebrity is that they’re up front with everything. You can pick a room with no perks or pay about $200 more for a room with 2 or more perks. They also don’t try to scam you by adding 20% gratuity on your perks.

I just booked my first NCL cruise and it is for 21 days.  I was in shock when my agent told me that I had to pay $400 for each one of us just for the "Free Beverage" package.   Since we don't drink that much I declined - I will put the $800 on other things.  

I’m totally fine with this, but then, I’m not the target market for this one. I do not give a single solitary damn about specialty coffees, top shelf liquors, or bottled water (Nalgene bottles people. It’s not that hard). 

I understand that I’m paying more in base fare to get the perks, but when you factor in paying for the drink packages on Carnival and RCI, Norwegian is still beating them on prices for comparable ships in my research. 

Not it that I wouldn’t pay a bit of a premium to avoid Carnival. The final cost isn’t ALL that matters. 

18 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

So here's my question... with this premium option now in place how many drinks that were previously $15 or less (this included in the free at sea perq package) have mysteriously now increased in price?

NCL keeps changing the plan so I wouldn't count on what is here today being the same as what might be available next week, much less 6 months from now. 

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

NCL keeps changing the plan so I wouldn't count on what is here today being the same as what might be available next week, much less 6 months from now. 

Thus it may be best to book the least expensive fare (cabin) without promo perks that fits your cruise pleasure

AND then wait till on board to get a beverage package that works for you.

May even be a good idea to review the dining package also.

The confusing combo free promo perk packages leave a great deal to be desired !

NCL - What part of FREE do you not understand ?

Comparing the cost of beverage plans between cruise lines is not relevant unless the two or more cruise

lines sail the same itinerary - same time of the year - have the same port calls shore excursions - the

Apples - Oranges syndrome.

It would be nice if the person in NCL Corporate would take off the blind fold when throwing darts at the

revolving dart board to actually see what the consumer wants out of his cruise consistently !

12 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I’m totally fine with this, but then, I’m not the target market for this one. I do not give a single solitary damn about specialty coffees, top shelf liquors, or bottled water (Nalgene bottles people. It’s not that hard). 

I understand that I’m paying more in base fare to get the perks, but when you factor in paying for the drink packages on Carnival and RCI, Norwegian is still beating them on prices for comparable ships in my research. 

Not it that I wouldn’t pay a bit of a premium to avoid Carnival. The final cost isn’t ALL that matters. 

This is what I want to find out more about!  Avoid Carnival-why?  How are the drink packages on Norwegian better priced when someone on here said it's $118pp and the per drink limit is $15 while Carnival is $56 pp and the limit is $20.  I'm curious to try Norwegian but really need more info before making that choice.  Please enlighten me with your opinion!