Diamond+ tries HAL Koningsdam

teacherman

We last cruised on HAL 10 years ago.  Since then we have been loyal to Royal and Celebrity.  We are fortunate to be able to cruise 3 or 4 times per year.  The newest RCCL ship we have been on is Freedom, although we are going on Allure in April.  We had just been on an 11 night in December on Serenade, and thought we would try something different.  The Koningsdam is about 2 years old and I thought I would mention some of the things I really enjoyed about the cruise.  This was also an 11 night cruise.

EMBARKATION- cabins were available when we boarded at 12:30 and we could go to a nice relaxing lunch in the MDR without be "herded" to the buffet.

BEDDING-wonderful deep mattress and soft sheets.  Slept the best in a long time on a ship

FOOD-excellent;  all dishes were enjoyed in the MDR and we tried 2 specialty restaurants which were, in MHO, better than those we have tried on RCCL and less costly

Also, in the buffet, the staff serves you which makes for a much neater presentation and amazingly, the food was still hot when I got to my table.   Hand dipped ice cream each day.

DRINKS-we get "free" drinks on RCCL during the Diamond hour, so this would be the first time we purchased most of our drinks.  Most cocktails (G&T, Manhattan, etc) were in $7-8 range with a 15% tip added.  BUT, there were several happy hours each day where it was buy one and get the second for $2.

ENTERTAINMENT-no singer/dancer production shows;  instead the large showroom was used for guest entertainers;  a BBC Earth presentation on the high tech screens was accompanied by a live orchestra;  favorite area was the "Music Walk" concept of 4 different music venues (classical, rock and roll, blues, dueling pianos) playing each night-these performers were excellent and the venues were packed with all of the old people (like me) singing the songs and dancing

DEBARKATION-I did not feel rushed to exit the ship.  Breakfast was served until 9:00.  We requested a 10:00 departure and received it.

ITINERARY-this was a typical eastern Caribbean cruise with one exception.  When we departed St Lucia, the ship sailed along the coast and spent time slowly cruising near to the Pitons, while there was narration given concerning the island and its people.  Very enjoyable and I do not know why other ships don't do this.

Finally, we did not know what to expect on HAL.  For us, it was great and a WOW cruise.  

• Like 1

We were on the Koningsdam in January and I second your praise of the music venue.  We danced every night and only made it to one show because we enjoyed BB Kings, Dueling Pianos and Rock and Roll so much.  HAL has a winner there.  We probably won't sail HAL in the future as the K pool space was inadequate, we got tired of the chair hogs and we were not impressed with open seating or the décor in the MDR.   Wish we had opted for main dining as it appeared to be much better organized.

Great review, the music venue really sounds tempting!  I need to take full stock in what we truly enjoy when cruising and focus on that for picking our next trip when it's just DH and I.  I can get caught up in the newest and greatest but then often realize that isn't anything I'd want or need either.

I know this might be a ridiculous question... but taking into consideration fare, drinks and all other "on board" expenses, what would you say the $ difference was? Significant? Minimal? TIA.

At 3194 passengers I would imagine the ship was somewhere between Radiance and Freedom class RCL offerings? 

Edited by NateUpNorth

We had a balcony on both the Serenade (early December-low season) and Koningsdam (mid February-high season).  The price was about $1,000 more for HAL, BUT we received free gratuities and a $385 shipboard credit.  So the cost difference was negligble.

In response to the above comments, there are not a lot of chairs around the pool, but then again, there are no pool games or bands.  We always could find loung chairs somewhere. Also, towels are plentiful and you don't have to check them out.  AND very few announcements are made on the PA.  They give you the day's schedule and assume you can read it.

Cruised on Eurodam when it was still somewhat knew.  Only upgrade I ever got on a ship--S3 to S1.  RCL has HAL beat on suite benefits.  Their lounge actually closed back then at 8 p.m.  No alcohol (not that it would be a factor for me).  RCL has HAL beat on entertainment.  And back then smoking was allowed everywhere.  I didn't let it bother me but I don't think I'll be on another HAL cruise.   Staff was excellent, as was food.

Each person needs to decide what is important to them.