How do they make any money??

grandgeezer

26 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

First time cruiseing with Celebrity, we have the classic package, are the wines and spirits OK as I saw there was a price limit on the package?

The drink lists showing what’s avail within  classic and premium is viewable with a quick search.

Basically they have the generic “well brands.”

Classic has lower tier brands  (and $9 glasses of wine). Plus bottled waters and specialty coffees 

Premium has top shelf brands. More expensive vodkas, bourbons, scotch, etc and wines & champagne up to $15 per glass. Also drink smoothies. Some other differences. 

I upgraded from classic perk to premium for $11.80 per day. 

Edited by mfs2k

7 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Premium has top shelf brands. More expensive vodkas, bourbons, scotch, etc and wines & champagne up to $15 per glass

Any Veuve Cliquot onboard ships? Assume if so it falls under premium package.

15 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Any Veuve Cliquot onboard ships? Assume if so it falls under premium package.

Veuve isn’t part of any package. It’s probably available by the bottle and you’d get a discount if you have the package. 

Edited by mfs2k

31 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Veuve isn’t part of any package. It’s probably available by the bottle and you’d get a discount if you have the package. 

Thank you. That's too bad. So the premium package has some flaws. LOL.

The Classic Beverage Package in the "free perks" actually costs around $100 or less per person in a 7-day cruise. For people getting it for a longer cruise, it would be even cheaper. With gratuity included, it worth it if I order more than $12 of drink per day. If it is in a summer cruise, it would be great to get smoothies and slush. If it is not for a room upgrade, I did not even choose the "2 free perks" option to save $500.

18 hours ago, Oville said:

I’ve read, reread and reread this post and just do not get your point.  The basic cruise fare plus Go Better for a couple is $2,038.  Not sure what you mean by “How Do They Make Any Money?” 

As others have said, the $300 OBC on a 7 day cruise makes more sense than pre-paid gratuities.

Sorry, just confused by this thread.

It was said tongue in cheek. It's pretty obvious how they make their money, even at $7.97 per person per day. 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:08 AM, mfs2k said:

On 3/3/2019 at 8:45 AM, Tourist1292 said:

Can one just pay the difference above $15?

I can't specifically recall if Veuve is available by the glass on Celebrity or what it costs.  But I just got off Oasis and it's available by the glass at the Champagne bar there.  I think it was $26/glass??   So $12 or $13 above the cost of the premium package and yes in that scenario you can just pay that difference because I did so several times.  🙂

On 3/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, oneputt18 said:

Why would you take gratuities as a perk on a 7 day cruise, you come out ahead by taking the $150 p/p OBC. 

I got 3 perks...I want to have an excuse to not work while on ship, so I DO NOT want internet.  OBC was my 1st choice, drink package 2nd and tips 3rd.... 

45 minutes ago, CardRock said:

I got 3 perks...I want to have an excuse to not work while on ship, so I DO NOT want internet.  OBC was my 1st choice, drink package 2nd and tips 3rd.... 

OP only had go better, that is two perks. He picked beverage package and gratuities on a 7 day cruise. 

I guess you can look at the price like this, $849 cruise fare minus drink package $462($55x7=$385+$77 tip=$462) = $387  minus $150 (OBC)= Final cruise fare $237 per person for a balcony,  I think thats where the OP was going.  Pretty darn good.

51 minutes ago, whitshel said:

I guess you can look at the price like this, $849 cruise fare minus drink package $462($55x7=$385+$77 tip=$462) = $387  minus $150 (OBC)= Final cruise fare $237 per person for a balcony,  I think thats where the OP was going.  Pretty darn good.

You missed the $170 p.p. add on for the "Better" package.