Upgrades after final, not Move Up

yvonneh

4 minutes ago, H2OH! said:

YEAH!!  We also saved another $ 600.00 and kept our perks since they were offering the go Best! See you on board! I do suspect more deals given the inventory but feel the price was perfect!

Lots of deal right now, but the pricing I got by booking early is still better (for the moment). Today I saw X advertising "Cruise-only" rates (no perks included) AND kids sail free on a lot of the 2019 cruises.

I know what I said about being happy with he price I paid. Well, the price dropped $1K today for us. :classic_rolleyes:

That is a lot! UGH!!

I sent an email to my X reservationist hoping she can help. Any other tips, other than suck it up buttercup?? 

I notice the "free" perks are gone, but the cabin only price on the warehouse club website is the same as a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, I got my rooms upgraded when there was the option to get the perks.  Otherwise, I either could not upgrade or I would not get the same deal (pay $240 but get $350 OBC plus 2 classic beverage packages). Now they are offering $200 OBC with booking though.

3 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

I notice the "free" perks are gone, but the cabin only price on the warehouse club website is the same as a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, I got my rooms upgraded when there was the option to get the perks.  Otherwise, I either could not upgrade or I would not get the same deal (pay $240 but get $350 OBC plus 2 classic beverage packages). Now they are offering $200 OBC with booking though.

I Didn't see the extra $200. But, I added the 4 perks, our daughter is "free" and it's still $1000 less. Such a bummer!

Well, we booked a very nice c1 aft balcony. Prices for a suite have dropped to $500 more than what we paid. Called celebrity with credit card in hand to upgrade but were told (twice) no thank you. This is for new bookings only.

what i have always thought to be true is not.

2 hours ago, yvonneh said:

I Didn't see the extra $200. But, I added the 4 perks, our daughter is "free" and it's still $1000 less. Such a bummer!

Did you check your account on Celebrity? They are having the $200 OBC credit right now. I upgraded my room when they had the $50 bonus OBC a few weeks ago. I did not know until I check my booking a couple days later.

After final payment on a sailing--I called the TA to ask about the big price drop--knowing we wouldn't get $ back...Celebrity did offer for us to move into a SS for about $50 pp per day... 

Good luck OP whatever you decide

20 hours ago, justcrusn said:

Well, we booked a very nice c1 aft balcony. Prices for a suite have dropped to $500 more than what we paid. Called celebrity with credit card in hand to upgrade but were told (twice) no thank you. This is for new bookings only.

That's sad to hear. Like you, I've heard many times that you can always upgrade if prices drop, as long as you are moving up.

Are they beginning to do more of the "for new bookings only" promotions? That would be unfortunate.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, justcrusn said:

I would keep calling. I always keep calling until I get an answer that works. I think that you just need the right person to help you. That doesn't make any sense to me, you should be allowed to upgrade.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, justcrusn said:

Were you willing to only get the BBB perks associated with the current pricing.

What is the ship and date of your cruise?

I had a similar experience to yvonenneh with respect to our upcoming May cruise.  On Monday night, which was a few weeks past final payment (US), a Sky Suite showed up on the X site (hadn't been any for about a week or so), at a price that was decent but not great (probably about $1500-$2000+ less per person than it had been at various times prior to final payment).  I called to do a paid upgrade (I have never had any problem with doing that, Celebrity always has been wiling to let me upgrade for more $$) and asked if there were any non-US final payment dates that had not yet passed and if this was truly the only Sky Suite available - told No as to first question and Yes as to latter.  So I upgraded.  Later that night, two more Sky Suites magically appeared on the X site.  Hmm, I thought, but at least they were at the priced I paid.  When I checked again the next morning, within 12 or so hours of my Monday night booking, the price had dropped by $1200 per person - AARRGH.  And today, there still is one left at that reduced price.  Had I waited till the morning or later in the week, I could have saved $2400.  Painful, but nothing can be done (I called and tried, knowing it was an exercise in futility).  Live and learn (tho not quite sure what I actually learned).

2 hours ago, EagleRocker said:

I had a similar experience to yvonenneh with respect to our upcoming May cruise.  On Monday night, which was a few weeks past final payment (US), a Sky Suite showed up on the X site (hadn't been any for about a week or so), at a price that was decent but not great (probably about $1500-$2000+ less per person than it had been at various times prior to final payment).  I called to do a paid upgrade (I have never had any problem with doing that, Celebrity always has been wiling to let me upgrade for more $$) and asked if there were any non-US final payment dates that had not yet passed and if this was truly the only Sky Suite available - told No as to first question and Yes as to latter.  So I upgraded.  Later that night, two more Sky Suites magically appeared on the X site.  Hmm, I thought, but at least they were at the priced I paid.  When I checked again the next morning, within 12 or so hours of my Monday night booking, the price had dropped by $1200 per person - AARRGH.  And today, there still is one left at that reduced price.  Had I waited till the morning or later in the week, I could have saved $2400.  Painful, but nothing can be done (I called and tried, knowing it was an exercise in futility).  Live and learn (tho not quite sure what I actually learned).

Unfortunately, this does upset quite a few people who paid a lot more, but Celebrity needs to make money on these cabins.  However, if they would have been priced " normal +" to begin with, along with not advertising like this ship would take us all to a better and more desirable place while cruising, I believe it would have worked out much better for Celebrity and their clients in the long run, and especially after making some much needed changes. The way they charge for cabins now is all over the place for sure.  It is what it is, but it did not have to be this way...I feel your frustration.  Someone once told me to pay the price, and after final payment, do not look again; however, that is difficult if you want to move up to a higher category...their advertizing department was just not equal to the price and experience for many!

Edited by Lastdance

A couple that I know that have been on Celebrity to Alaska twice within the last 3 years did not really follow the price after booking except once that they saw the price went up. They were shocked when I told them I got price adjusted 3 times and then upgraded with little cost. The original cabin I booked before the upgrade is still available with the price dropped 25%. I may be upset if I stuck with the original book without upgrading to the higher level cabins. Now my upgraded cabin also dropped $100 in the last 2 weeks but I am fine with that as I got $50 more OBC and $25 more in gift card than upgrading today. Even the price may drop further, I may not be able to get the cabins that I want.