Can I bring liquid protein shakes onboard?

I'm cruising next week and am on a roll with a very strict diet.  I know, I know, cruising on a diet?!?!?!  But, I'm determined to do it, eat healthy and change my lifestyle.   Anyway, I'm following the Ideal Protein protocol which includes a lot of their food (bars, shakes, etc) plus veggies and protein.  My question is - can I bring my shakes on board or are these part of the "no beverages" policy?  These are premade in small one serving bottles.  They're clearly marked protein shakes.  It would make my life so much easier than trying to make the powdered ones and wash my shaker.  And they taste better too.

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, travelingirl70 said:

I'm cruising next week and am on a roll with a very strict diet.  I know, I know, cruising on a diet?!?!?!  But, I'm determined to do it, eat healthy and change my lifestyle.   Anyway, I'm following the Ideal Protein protocol which includes a lot of their food (bars, shakes, etc) plus veggies and protein.  My question is - can I bring my shakes on board or are these part of the "no beverages" policy?  These are premade in small one serving bottles.  They're clearly marked protein shakes.  It would make my life so much easier than trying to make the powdered ones and wash my shaker.  And they taste better too.

Thanks in advance!

I would say bring them in checked luggage. Worst case scenario they are confiscated by NCL. If that were to happen they would give them back to you  before you disembark. Wouldn't hurt if you were to bring a letter from your physician explaining you are on special diet requiring the shakes. 

Email accessdesk@ncl.com to get the definitive answer...... if the diet is medically necessary then you'll have to engage your doctor and have it reviewed by NCL. If it's a diet for a lifestyle change then most likely not approved. Just showing up with a note will not be sufficient. 

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 1

No drinks may be brought onboard. If you put them in your checked luggage, your bag will be confiscated and you will spend time in [long] line on your first night with everyone else with contraband trying to get their bags out of security. 

Thanks!  Definitely not worth the hassle.  It's not medically necessary, so I will just adapt.  I think I've read here that powdered protein drink mix is okay, right?  And I assume other food (not fruits and vegetables) like protein bars are okay too?  I can make that work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelingirl70 said:

Thanks!  Definitely not worth the hassle.  It's not medically necessary, so I will just adapt.  I think I've read here that powdered protein drink mix is okay, right?  And I assume other food (not fruits and vegetables) like protein bars are okay too?  I can make that work.

I had bariatric surgery and take protein shakes with me onboard. I contact the access desk (with one week out, call them) and tell them you need them due to a dietary issue and know how many you are bringing on exactly and their sizes. If approved, the access desk with add a little water bottle symbol to your edocs so that you can carry on your liquid drinks. I was told that mine had to be carried on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No drinks may be brought onboard. If you put them in your checked luggage, your bag will be confiscated and you will spend time in [long] line on your first night with everyone else with contraband trying to get their bags out of security. 

Not true. I've brought my protein shakes after getting approval from NCL's Access Department.  I brought them on in my checked luggage.

2 hours ago, kblac708 said:

I had bariatric surgery and take protein shakes with me onboard. I contact the access desk (with one week out, call them) and tell them you need them due to a dietary issue and know how many you are bringing on exactly and their sizes. If approved, the access desk with add a little water bottle symbol to your edocs so that you can carry on your liquid drinks. I was told that mine had to be carried on.

As I mentioned earlier, reaching out to the Access Desk is required...... did you have to provide documentation or did they take your word for it during the call?  The OP stated it's a life style change and not medically necessary.. 

6 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

As I mentioned earlier, reaching out to the Access Desk is required...... did you have to provide documentation or did they take your word for it during the call?  The OP stated it's a life style change and not medically necessary.. 

I have never been asked for documentation in the years since they’ve banned carryon liquids. I spoke with them a few months ago about my cruise at the end of the month and was told “not a problem, be sure to carry the liquids on.”  They did want to know what I was bringing on. So I believe ensure is noted on my account. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kblac708 said:

I have never been asked for documentation in the years since they’ve banned carryon liquids. I spoke with them a few months ago about my cruise at the end of the month and was told “not a problem, be sure to carry the liquids on.”  They did want to know what I was bringing on. So I believe ensure is noted on my account. 

Good to know that it's at least worth a phone call and if they ask for documentation then just forget about it.  Thx. 

I suspect the liquid ban is so you buy NCL’s sodas and water at their inflated prices.  I’m of the school that thinks (but I don’t know) that a call to the access desk about individual serving size, sealed protein shakes should take care of things.  It’s not like your shakes will cost NCL any sales.

BTW re lifestyle change and carrying on your special food - when I’m on track, I have lots of interchangeable things, and Quest bars are about 200 calories, high protein, high fiber and low sugar.  Depending on the stats of your shakes, if they are an issue perhaps a Quest bar and a glass of water will be a reasonable substitute?

I have bariatric surgery and prefer to travel with liquid protein shakes in case my blood sugar does weird things 🙂

I called the access desk to get permission to bring aboard protein shakes.

I was told I'd have a symbol on my boarding pass.

I was told to make sure it was in my carry on luggage.

When I called I was not asked to give the proof that I had a medical condition (even though I was ready to do so).

I will say that it was a bit of a hassle to get a hold of the access desk. I emailed twice within 2 weeks with no response then decided to call and wait on hold almost an hour. My emailed took about 3-4 weeks to get a response.