Dublin Castle and Book of Kells Princess Excursion

TW6cruiser

Hello.  I will also post this question on the Britain ports section, but has anyone taken the Princess Excursion in Dublin for "Dublin Castle and Book of Kells"?  I am aware that you can buy tickets to both online.  We are in Dublin for two days.  I am considering doing Dublin on our own on day one and this excursion on the second date.  The price is higher than buying tickets on your own but the transport into town is also included (I have read that the Princess shuttle is $8 per person).  Just wondering if anyone thought this tour was good. Thanks. 

We did not do this excursion. When we took our British Isles cruise in 2017, the shuttle to Merrion Square was free. Both attractions are within a mile or just a bit over a mile. We walked to Dublin Castle. We did the HoHo bus the second day to see things farther away.

13 hours ago, TW6cruiser said:

Hello.  I will also post this question on the Britain ports section, but has anyone taken the Princess Excursion in Dublin for "Dublin Castle and Book of Kells"?  I am aware that you can buy tickets to both online.  We are in Dublin for two days.  I am considering doing Dublin on our own on day one and this excursion on the second date.  The price is higher than buying tickets on your own but the transport into town is also included (I have read that the Princess shuttle is $8 per person).  Just wondering if anyone thought this tour was good. Thanks. 

We went and saw the Book of Kells on our own. Whether you do the same or take a Princess excursion, it is well worth seeing.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We went and saw the Book of Kells on our own. Whether you do the same or take a Princess excursion, it is well worth seeing.

It's very easy to do on your own and absolutely worth the trip.

2 hours ago, 2theship said:

It's very easy to do on your own and absolutely worth the trip.

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yes, we took this tour and really enjoyed it. At the end instead of going back to the port on our tour bus, we opted to walk around Dublin and take the Princess shuttle back. Dublin is a lovely city! 

I agree. We were on the line before they opened. It was not too long, and did not take all that long to enter. And it is well worth it.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, TW6cruiser said:

We did exactly what you have planned during our last cruise.  First day on our own with a hop on hop off bus.  Second day did the Dublin Castle and Book of Kells Princess tour.  As everyone says the Book of Kells is a must.  Dublin Castle, meh.  I don't need to go back but I don't regret going.  (If you want to have some "fun" with the guide at the castle, ask them why there are larger than life portraits of King George and Queen Charlotte hanging prominently.  We don't a portrait of King George hanging in the White House or Capitol...)  (Extra points if you hum "A Nation Once Again under your breathe.)

I'm not trying to discourage you from taking the the Princess tour.  Not at all.  We do a combo of on our on and pre-arrange tours when we travel.  Sometimes it's just easier to let someone else worry about the logistics.  

Miagirl that sounds like a "fun" suggestion.  😀

DId you think you had enough time at the Book of Kells on the tour? I've read that even if you go through on your own you can't really stay a long time anyway. I agree with your comment on having someone else do the details.  I am just not sure of what time in the morning Princes starts their bus shuttle, etc., so I was thinking going with them may be easier.    Some ports we are doing their tours and some others I have private things scheduled.  For some reason in Dublin I could not make up my mind.

I can't comment on the Princess Tour because we did things on our own.  We went to the Book of Kells before it opened and then were in quickly.  When you go through the old Trinity College library (think Hogwarts) watch for the harp, the only original old harp left and the one shown on the flag.  During Queen Elizabeth's day they burned all the harps and hung all the harpists, but the signage doesn't explain that or why it is precious to the Irish.  Google Irish harp history.  After that we did the one hour tour of Trinity College and then went a couple of blocks away to the Archaeology Museum (check which days it is open).  If you are interested in Irish history, make reservations ahead for the Gael (jail).  We had to choose between the Guiness tour and the Jameson's whiskey tour and took the latter.  It was wonderful.  Be sure to leave time to go to some Irish pubs for "Trad" music in the evenings.  Our daughter liked the early evening Literary Pub Crawl.  Dublin isn't very big and pretty easy to walk around so I don't know if I would do the Hop On Hop Off bus.  We only used the tram once and otherwise walked everywhere.  

Posted this over on the ports board:

We were in Dublin in 2012 and visited the National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology.  It was raining and we thought it was a good place to "wait it out".  However....it was a wonderful museum.  And it's free!!  It has two "illuminated manuscripts" (correct name for books like the Book of Kells).  Maybe not as fancy but there was no line, no ticket to buy and you could look at it as long as you wanted.  If I remember correctly I was the only person in the room!!  Just a thought for people interested in something different.

<<<Karen>>>

17 hours ago, TW6cruiser said:

Miagirl that sounds like a "fun" suggestion.  😀

DId you think you had enough time at the Book of Kells on the tour? I've read that even if you go through on your own you can't really stay a long time anyway. I agree with your comment on having someone else do the details.  I am just not sure of what time in the morning Princes starts their bus shuttle, etc., so I was thinking going with them may be easier.    Some ports we are doing their tours and some others I have private things scheduled.  For some reason in Dublin I could not make up my mind.

TW6,

Yes, I do think we had adequate time.  It's like any other major exhibition, it's designed to keep the flow of people moving.  We were able to walk and read our way through all the displays leading up to the big reveal.  

A suggestion for your day on your own in Dublin, depending on your interests,  we were very engaged by GPO Witness History exhibit at the General Post Office.  It covers the events leading up to the Easter Uprising.  https://www.gpowitnesshistory.ie/the-gpo-building/

Also we very much enjoyed the evening Princess excursion "An Evening of Irish Song and Dance".  My husband, prior to meeting me, had no exposure to Irish culture, music or humor thought it was a very fine cultural experience.

Are you going to Waterford on this trip?  We did a GREAT Princess excursion there.