Laundry

Babyfin

I meant no offense, Organized Chaos. My comment was not directed at you personally. It was more of just a generalization that there are 2 sides to every situation. Please forgive me if it came across as a personal attack.

16 hours ago, emoorehead said:

I meant no offense, Organized Chaos. My comment was not directed at you personally. It was more of just a generalization that there are 2 sides to every situation. Please forgive me if it came across as a personal attack.

Not at all, think nothing of it. Since I admitted that I wasn't there when my load finished, I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't out goofing around or anything like that. It's all good, no harm no foul. :classic_smile:

Those times I mentioned I was waiting for machines that were done and no one came to tend to them, I'd never dream of taking their clothes out myself. Just not the type of person I am, no matter how badly I wanted to wash my clothes. Actually, when that happened, we just said to heck with it and packed our dirty clothes. But yes, especially if you're like me and don't want strangers handling my clothes to begin with, you should do your best to be there when the load finishes.

17 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

The laundry rooms are very small and don't have seating (unless the newer ships do, I don't know). It gets awfully crowded in there. I understand what you're saying about being courteous, but there's no way I'd stand and wait in there. We'll sit in our room and check periodically. When I said I timed it wrong and someone had moved my load, it's not like I was out having fun and gone a long time. The person who moved it into a dryer was actually still in there and said they had just moved it. And the time someone had taken my load out of a dryer (when some of my things were still damp), the rest of my clothes were still warm, so I know it wasn't done long. But I do my best to catch it before it's done. I've checked back looking for empty machines and have seen loads done for 15-20 minutes or more with no one showing up. I definitely don't appreciate that, but I don't expect anyone to wait in the laundry room. Just don't go goof around for long periods of time.

They did improve the laundry room size on vista. But there’s no longer one on lido forward. It’s one deck down. 

On clothes moving thing I will do it if the time has been excessive. Last cruise when I was starting a wash someone in the laundry room told me clothes had been in a dryer for over 2 hours. When it was time for me to dry another 45 mins later, you bet I moved them out.

Here’s the vista laundry room

F2D13EBA-8854-4EAE-8BB6-B17C07531B4D.thumb.jpeg.416a349efe178f6336643383e19f17e0.jpeg6D36CF15-9F13-4A49-84E0-B5098C92B964.thumb.jpeg.21e957d57c8f66599e1b017cc4cda2ab.jpeg10FCF17B-A130-485B-BC0A-5AEFB6ACEF98.thumb.jpeg.ddba5be164a78a25eedba92af253b5f8.jpeg60CC149D-5B5A-4B59-9836-66E912D0E80D.thumb.jpeg.3e1601f3537a9563de51e9eec955bbfa.jpeg

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

They did improve the laundry room size on vista. But there’s no longer one on lido forward. It’s one deck down. 

On clothes moving thing I will do it if the time has been excessive. Last cruise when I was starting a wash someone in the laundry room told me clothes had been in a dryer for over 2 hours. When it was time for me to dry another 45 mins later, you bet I moved them out.

F2D13EBA-8854-4EAE-8BB6-B17C07531B4D.thumb.jpeg.416a349efe178f6336643383e19f17e0.jpeg6D36CF15-9F13-4A49-84E0-B5098C92B964.thumb.jpeg.21e957d57c8f66599e1b017cc4cda2ab.jpeg10FCF17B-A130-485B-BC0A-5AEFB6ACEF98.thumb.jpeg.ddba5be164a78a25eedba92af253b5f8.jpeg60CC149D-5B5A-4B59-9836-66E912D0E80D.thumb.jpeg.3e1601f3537a9563de51e9eec955bbfa.jpeg

Definitely bigger than all the other laundry rooms on ships I've been on.

We have a cloth laundry bag that we hand in the closet and throw our dirty clothes in when we are done with them.  This makes it real handy to carry the clothes to the laundry room.  I find some of the laundry rooms on some of the ship real small and there's no place to really fold your clothes before taking them back to your room. I don't like to fold them on top of the wash machine. 

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

6D36CF15-9F13-4A49-84E0-B5098C92B964.thumb.jpeg.21e957d57c8f66599e1b017cc4cda2ab.jpeg60CC149D-5B5A-4B59-9836-66E912D0E80D.thumb.jpeg.3e1601f3537a9563de51e9eec955bbfa.jpeg

To me, that's a very inefficient use of that space. A lot of open room serving no purpose. We were on the Glory last year. The laundry rooms on our deck were much narrower, but had three washing machines and 4 or 6 (stacked) dryers. Two washers & two dryers seems like such a waste in a space like that. Especially on their biggest ships. I'll have to remember this when the time comes.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:49 AM, naxer said:

There is also the $15/bag special, (or is it $20?).  Ask your steward.  If its basic stuff that doesn't need special attention, i.e. it can take a hot water wash and a hot dryer, you fill a bag for the morning and get it back that evening, washed and folded.  I do this every cruise.  A surprisingly large amount can be placed in the bag.  

Having used the both washer/dryers and the $15 laundry bags on several occasions, I have determined that the $15 laundry bag is the better deal. For less than the price of two cocktails, you don't have to worry about hovering around the laundry room, and your clothes will magically come back in less than 24 hours perfectly folded, usually warm, smelling good, and with a handwritten note from the individual who packaged your clothes thanking you for the amazing opportunity to wash your underwear ;-). The bag option cost twice as much but is absolutely worth it. (This is coming from the cheapest person on the planet.)

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

To me, that's a very inefficient use of that space. A lot of open room serving no purpose. We were on the Glory last year. The laundry rooms on our deck were much narrower, but had three washing machines and 4 or 6 (stacked) dryers. Two washers & two dryers seems like such a waste in a space like that. Especially on their biggest ships. I'll have to remember this when the time comes.

They could've added another ironing board....or washer/dryer...or had the stacked dryers like they do on other ships to get more in there. I like the extra space though. It was nice being able to stand in front of the washer without getting hit in the back by the door.

Edited by Saint Greg

12 minutes ago, newpherchris said:

Having used the both washer/dryers and the $15 laundry bags on several occasions, I have determined that the $15 laundry bag is the better deal. For less than the price of two cocktails, you don't have to worry about hovering around the laundry room, and your clothes will magically come back in less than 24 hours perfectly folded, usually warm, smelling good, and with a handwritten note from the individual who packaged your clothes thanking you for the amazing opportunity to wash your underwear ;-). The bag option cost twice as much but is absolutely worth it. (This is coming from the cheapest person on the planet.)

Even when I have free platinum laundry I'll still do a load myself. I'm not letting them wash everything in hot water. Since my room is on lido and I use the laundry room that's right there no hovering is needed. I go to the rum bar and grab a drink. Check on the laundry in a half hour. Move it to the dryer, then back to the rum bar. half hour later take it to the room and get going on the packing.

I always have my mobile phone with me-no longer wear a watch so use phone as timer. I can set an alarm to warn me to get to the laundry room to change from washer to dryer-I might need 2 dryer cycles, something medical and bulky that takes time to dry.

Great suggestion about bringing laundry pods, must look out for a box while shopping.