Tipping for room service

karolm

Do you tip cash for room service?

Thanks,

Carol M:confused:

We do - I keep a bunch of $1's on hand for that purpose. Our kids order Room Service frequently and they usually tip $2 - $3 per entree ordered.

Tip $1 to $2 at the time of delivery. Noticed the first day the room service steward was heading out the door and had to catch him. Next time he took a little longer to leave so he could allow us to gracefully hand him the tip.

Carol thanks for posting this. We'll be taking our first cruise in July and I was wondering the same thing.

Are there any other services that people feel fall outside of those covered by the daily $10 per person tip charge that should be rewarded with a small cash tip?

Another question. If I'm correct there's a 15% service charged added to your bar order. If you have a drink or two do you also leave a few dollars cash for the bartender or wait person?

Before I leave on a trip I always like to get a bunch of $2 bills from the bank to use for small tips rather than using $1 bills. It saves space.

Another question. If I'm correct there's a 15% service charged added to your bar order. If you have a drink or two do you also leave a few dollars cash for the bartender or wait person?

Before I leave on a trip I always like to get a bunch of $2 bills from the bank to use for small tips rather than using $1 bills. It saves space.

Yes, there is a 15% service charge added to all bar bills. I give any extra tips to the bar stewards at the end of the cruise---usually inside a thank-you note.

They are especially grateful if you mention them by name (in a positive fashion) on the comment card.

You don't need to bring a lot of small bills. Large bills can easily be changed at the Front Desk.

I think the members of Club HAL miss out on the tipping experience as I don't know if anyone every really considers tipping them or not. For those of you who don't cruise with children, it's probably never even crossed your mind, right???

Well, I did cruise on the Veendam in February 2002 with my husband and 2 children (and about 15 others ranging in age from 5 to 70 at that time!) and it was my husband who mentioned something about tipping the Club HAL Staff at the end of the week. I felt awful that I hadn't thought of that myself. We did tip them but I really don't remember what I gave them...although they did seem very pleased when we handed them the envelope so that's why I kind of got the impression that they don't get many envelopes...

My 2 daughters and I (no husband this time -- I'll be celebrating my divorce while sailing!!!) will be boarding the Volendam in just 16 days and I'm going to make sure I do tip them again and I guess I'll base it on how much my kids use them and how much fun they have (and I guess that may determine how much fun I can have too!!! ha-ha)

Even though I'm not a frequent cruiser, I do get a lot of advice and feedback from my sister, Doone (you may know her from these threads???) - she cruises at least once a year and she never even suggested tipping Club HAL (of course, she's the sister who chose to have a dog and NO kids!) so those of you not traveling with children wouldn't even think twice about it BUT those of you who are using the Club HAL services for your children (which, by the way, my 2 daughters had a great time in 2002 and are looking forward to it again!), please remember to acknowledge them for their services...

We usually always have breakfast in our cabin and I tip according to how much they have to carry. Some mornings we are really hungry:D Don't know why maybe the sea air. On our last cruise I asked the staff about giving calling cards to the bar servers and some of the others that make our cruise great and they were going to look into it but when we go in May I am going to get several International calling cards so I can give them out and I like the idea of a card and I always mention them by name on the comment card. I have even written letters after I have returned home and told them how great the crew was and the cruise!

Kathy

We have also tipped the Club HAL staff over the years, though some of them have been a tad bit hesitant to accept a gratuity... imo, they do an EXCELLENT job and the rewards seem few and far between... we also will buy drinks for various staff (spa, shops,etc.) that have been particularily helpful and attentive - we tend to stay up late, and on some of the ships, we've encountered staff and officers up late as well. ;)

Archived