Leggings, Tees, Sweats, Main Dining Room Not Allowed?

Lindaru

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

Thank you, Idahospud!  This time of year we limit our 100 mile trip to as few as we can possibly make it.  This winter has been really bad with parts of Highway 55 closing down partially or completely here and there.  I believe it is completely open now, so hoping we can get down there to shop where there is bigger variety of things for our trip than we have up here in McCall.

Please do send me the details.  My officially all over the internet E-Mail is insanitysurfers at gmail dot com.

:classic_biggrin:

I just emailed you. Highway 55 and 95 just were a mess this year, weren't they? Sure glad I was able to stay away.

• Like 1

Thank you, OCruisers and Country-Bumpkin.  My mind is at ease.

:classic_smile:

47 minutes ago, Milldonkey said:

Lindaru, make sure to get the veterans OBC for your husband. Where was he stationed?

Anchorage, Alaska, and he has already sent in his DD-214 copy and form over a month ago.  Waiting to hear back if it was processed yet.

Something he always told me which made me laugh.

He said it was *so* cold that they would speak to each other, then go in the tent to thaw the words out to hear what was said.

😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Hello!  First time cruiser here.  We will be on Ruby Princess May 11th through May 18th doing the inside passage of Alaska and Canada.

We are not planning to do more than one formal night and I will have a maxi skirt and blouse packed for that.  I have been searching and reading what threads I can find on the non-formal MDR night dress code.  "Slacks, skirt, dress" seems to be what the guide lines say for women.

The only place I plan to wear shorts is with an old tee shirt to sleep in at night in my cabin.

For during the day, I plan to wear as shown above in the subject line.  Am I going to have to change before dining at night or restrict our meals to the buffet?  I have read that it is up to the discretion of the Maitre'D to turn you away if not appropriately attired.

Trying to figure this out and it is all so confusing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:classic_unsure:

Alaska trip everyone will mostly be bundled up.  Just wear what you plan and walk right in to the MDR.  You will be fine.  No need to be concerned or ask the Maitre D.

Also, you might want to bring your sweats to hang out in on the ship, or to work out at the fitness center, or to sleep in.

Enjoy

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Alaska trip everyone will mostly be bundled up.  Just wear what you plan and walk right in to the MDR.  You will be fine.  No need to be concerned or ask the Maitre D.

Enjoy

I came up with the idea that I can wear my long tee shirts (look new, no lettering, no pictures) with a light jacket over them and still be presentable.  Just need to ditch the puffy coat and don the jacket.  Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Milldonkey said:

I was at Elmendorf AFB 69-71.

He was in Alaska up until 1973.  He had family that lived in Sitka up until about a decade ago.  I imagine things have really changed and this will be an adventure for him, too!

You’ll be fine. We’ve been on several  Alaskan cruises, and that is the most casual cruise we’ve been on, with many wearing extra casual attire to the dining room EXCEPT on the two formal evenings.  We noticed a lot of cruisers, both men and women, wearing jeans in the dining room. 

However, we also saw many, many people dressed up as well, kind of a 50-50. 

• Like 2

Thank you, Cats!  We plan to only attend one formal night and that will be the closest one to our anniversary.

I guess we will see what happens when we are there and just go by that.

:classic_cool:

2 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Thank you, Cats!  We plan to only attend one formal night and that will be the closest one to our anniversary.

I guess we will see what happens when we are there and just go by that.

:classic_cool:

If you want to try one of the speciality restaurants, do it on formal night.  My husband does that to avoid wearing a suit, plus the speciality restaurant is a treat.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luckee1 said:

If you want to try one of the speciality restaurants, do it on formal night.  My husband does that to avoid wearing a suit, plus the speciality restaurant is a treat.  

I was just going to recommend the same ... specialty restaurants are always 'smart casual' for the dress code.  Plus, the atmosphere is quite nice and the food is a step above what you can get in the MDR.  

• Like 1

Even in the five years we have been cruising, I have seen the standards of dress decline in the MDR. I have seen people eating that were in no way dressed up. It does not bother me at all. We are flying for our next cruise, and packing a bunch of dress clothes is just a pain. I am not bringing a suit this cruise.

I look at it this way, dress like you would if you were going out to a middle level restaurant at home. Formal nights are much more dressed up, but as others have said that is not the case in the specialty restaurants. 

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get a kick out of these folks who come on here and ask these questions, just do it, you really don't care... you want to do your own thing...the truth is none of us really care what you wear.

I rarely go to the MDR any more any way, food is better at the Crown Grill and buffet, We dress for formal nights no matter where we eat,  we dress informally - rarely do simply casual other nights... we are the more traditional cruiser... no one cares what we wear either. 

Just go and enjoy yourself. 

• Like 2