Edge my $0.02 worth

jeepguy

Just got back from sailing the Edge March 3rd trip. Overall a very nice ship, obviously very clean and shiny. The food was great, the dining service was great, the entertainment was ok.

I read a lot of complaints about Eden, interesting is the first word that comes to me... Lots of wasted space there, but very cool and different. The entertainment was fine, but not to my taste, but what do I know????  All I can say is that if you don't like it, leave... I'm not one for the artsy stuff and the yoga stuff, but some are, as there was a decent crowd there. We felt captive at some point, since we were sitting on the aft balcony area. If you want to leave, the only way out is to walk thru the "stage", there is no back way out.... Hated to disrupt the show..

My few complaints are: Didn't like how the A/C shuts down when the IV window is open. I would have liked it if the folding doors controlled this, if/when the window was open. One quick blast of Caribbean humidity and air, pretty much dumps the coolness of the room, then it takes forever to cool back down. I really prefer the traditional balcony.

Also, I really was "miffed" to find out there was no way to access any of the normal music options thru the TV.... Really????? How hard is this???? Been on the Reflection 4x and even it had music on the TV. I like to listen to something other than the TV.. Don't need to always being sold something or hear the same thing all week long  (on theTV)..  I'd also liked the telephone on the Reflection that shows the time of day. Sure I can turn on the TV see the time, but sometimes it's pretty simple to look at the phone. Maybe a clock integrated into the digital thermostat/light switch???? Say as a screen saver?? 

My only other real complaint is the Martini bar. I think it was poorly thought out..  Less than half of the bar, can someone comfortably stand while "patiently" waiting for service. Pretty much at the stage area the bar is at knee or so level and people sitting the chairs are basically staring at either my butt or my front package..  You choose.......

Bet an engineer designed this, and he never stood at a bar waiting for a frosty one... 

So the standing area is fairly well packed, as much as the waiters can do, during peak times, they can't keep up. 

Speaking of waiters, the pool area and sunset bar was very slow to get a drink. I think the wait staff has been reduced due to everyone having a drink package. Not sure????

All in general, nice trip and hopefully they get all of the bugs worked out..

• Thanks 1

One more item....

I think they need to ask shoe sizes next time they decide to leave the red slippers for the quests.

I had to stretch them out all day, just to wear them to dinner on the Women's Red day..

Yes, I was the ONLY guy on the ship wearing these that night, there may be some pics of me floating around..

You couldn't believe the looks, and laughs I received... My wife couldn't stop laughing all night...

Fun times.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, jeepguy said:

Just got back from sailing the Edge March 3rd trip. Overall a very nice ship, obviously very clean and shiny. The food was great, the dining service was great, the entertainment was ok.

I read a lot of complaints about Eden, interesting is the first word that comes to me... Lots of wasted space there, but very cool and different. The entertainment was fine, but not to my taste, but what do I know????  All I can say is that if you don't like it, leave... I'm not one for the artsy stuff and the yoga stuff, but some are, as there was a decent crowd there. We felt captive at some point, since we were sitting on the aft balcony area. If you want to leave, the only way out is to walk thru the "stage", there is no back way out.... Hated to disrupt the show..

My few complaints are: Didn't like how the A/C shuts down when the IV window is open. I would have liked it if the folding doors controlled this, if/when the window was open. One quick blast of Caribbean humidity and air, pretty much dumps the coolness of the room, then it takes forever to cool back down. I really prefer the traditional balcony.

Also, I really was "miffed" to find out there was no way to access any of the normal music options thru the TV.... Really????? How hard is this???? Been on the Reflection 4x and even it had music on the TV. I like to listen to something other than the TV.. Don't need to always being sold something or hear the same thing all week long  (on theTV)..  I'd also liked the telephone on the Reflection that shows the time of day. Sure I can turn on the TV see the time, but sometimes it's pretty simple to look at the phone. Maybe a clock integrated into the digital thermostat/light switch???? Say as a screen saver?? 

My only other real complaint is the Martini bar. I think it was poorly thought out..  Less than half of the bar, can someone comfortably stand while "patiently" waiting for service. Pretty much at the stage area the bar is at knee or so level and people sitting the chairs are basically staring at either my butt or my front package..  You choose.......

Bet an engineer designed this, and he never stood at a bar waiting for a frosty one... 

So the standing area is fairly well packed, as much as the waiters can do, during peak times, they can't keep up. 

Speaking of waiters, the pool area and sunset bar was very slow to get a drink. I think the wait staff has been reduced due to everyone having a drink package. Not sure????

All in general, nice trip and hopefully they get all of the bugs worked out..

I agree with you about the pool bar staffing. It was very low staffed on our recent Equinox cruise. I had wondered what it would be like now that most have the drink package perk. I usually went to an inside bar. 

Thanks for your review. It sounds as though they still haven’t worked out the kinks, and I’m losing hope that they’ll do so by the time we embark next month. Love your sense of humor! I can’t wait to share the slipper story with my DH😂

• Haha 1

When you think about it, Celebrity, all the huge changes were not needed.  Yes, make some well thought out and unique designs, but use a variety of ways to see if these are the visions that the majority of people would welcome.  Build on that already tested and viable product without throwing everything out and starting over, as there is only so much that can be easily changed; after the fact is a little late, especially when bar layouts do not accomodate enough people.  I do not drink very much, and even I know that!  Also, many people saw that your advertising did not at all equal your product, and that definitely caused so many negative feelings. Furthermore, I am onboard the end of April, so Edge better be ready with those little changes...details do make a difference, but so does asking your clients and treading a little more lightly before creating a product that needs so many fixings!  Just MHO from what I have seen read and thought about in my own mind...I am lucky that all those who cruised before and shared their comments will make my cruise more enjoyable...

Jeepguy...Many thanks for the twist on "Little Red Riding Hood."  Too bad you do not have a video to share...and thanks so much for your honest and thoughtful review that you shared with details and specifics!  So glad you did have a good time!

Edited by Lastdance

Jeepguy,

Thanks for your 2 cents worth review!  The AC shutoff problem is a common complaint on Edge.  I am surprised you found the bar service slow.  On our sailing in January the service all over the ship was outstanding and it seemed that there were plenty of staff everywhere.