Viking censorship?

Hanoj

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think the fact that it hit the media makes this a stand-out; otherwise who would have known, or cared.

I can only think it must have been a really slow news day and they were struggling to fill pages.🙂

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not much talk of it on the Live WC thread. No mention at all if the search results were accurate. This little backwater is the only place it is being discussed and, with one except, none of us are actually on the cruise.

Big discussion on Viking Facebook groups

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not much talk of it on the Live WC thread. No mention at all if the search results were accurate. This little backwater is the only place it is being discussed and, with one except, none of us are actually on the cruise.

It may be worth noting that the poster in this thread claiming to be on the cruise appears to have a total of 3 posts on CC, and they're all in this thread.  Just sayin'. :classic_dry:

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

It may be worth noting that the poster in this thread claiming to be on the cruise appears to have a total of 3 posts on CC, and they're all in this thread.  Just sayin'. :classic_dry:

Noted. But, still entitled to an opinion and an equal opportunity to express it.

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No, this is the World Cruise coming from South American to Wellington and then proceeding to Australia and the southern tip of Africa to London.

thanks for catching my error on that score.  Don't know how I read "Sun" in the article as "Orion".  Renders what I said about contextual and historical significance moot. Perhaps because I'm looking into the particulars of a cruise on the Orion 2 yrs or more from now.. :classic_ohmy:

Edited by CharTrav

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I can only think it must have been a really slow news day and they were struggling to fill pages.🙂

If you read thru her whole series of presentations -- to the very last chart -- suspect Ms Todd is the one who alerted the media. Or her lawyers.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, just_dont said:

And registered on Tuesday, posted, last visited on Wednesday.  That's a smash-and-grab poster if there ever was one.

Sorry to disappoint but no, I am actually not Gwenyth and I am not even female.  I’ve never seen anything like this happen on a cruise and I decided to weigh in.  I never felt the need to comment on a cruise forum before but since I was disturbed by this weird story on a cruise ship on which I happen to be a passenger, I thought I’d comment. Is that a “smash and grab”?  I am not sure I understand what that means but, as I said, I found this entire situation to be really unusual. Oddly enough, I heard from a fellow passenger that Gwenyth took a group of WCs on a private tour of Sydney sometime while we were here (we are leaving Sydney now). I wish I had known so I could have gone too but maybe it is just a rumor.  I have not seen anything in the media about the story so it seems she is not talking to the media.  I know some of my fellow passengers are still talking about how badly Gwenyth was treated and I hope the tension dissipates quickly because we still have a long way to go.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, Panglossian321 said:

I was on this cruise.  I saw Gwenyth in the atrium , at church, in the restaurants, cafes and on excursions.  She was always smiling and helpful and, after the lectures were suddenly canceled,  I overheard guests pressuring her to fight to give her lectures anyway, which invariably had been well attended.  She told them that she wanted them to enjoy their cruise instead of focusing on her lectures, which she said were not worth becoming upset over.  On multiple occasions after that, I saw her accosted by guests in the cafe and passageways asking her to brief them privately.  On one hot tender ride, I even noticed her passing out cool wipes to hot passengers.  In a truly extraordinary gesture, I saw her give local money to a thirsty aged couple on a Viking tour when they could not access the ATM and had no way to buy a drink.  I don’t know if they ever offered to pay her back because she quickly walked away.  This woman was not seeking publicity though there was substantial support for her giving the lectures and palpable anger among a group of passengers at Viking for cancelling them.  I think Viking behaved dreadfully.  I am sorry she fell ill but I can attest that many passengers would enter the cafe without washing their hands, thus gastric viruses were a real threat.  Viking owes not just Ms Todd but also the passengers who were denied the lectures that Viking had advertised.  As for those who did not like the topics, there were plenty of other activities on the ship and ashore to entertain everyone.  Why the sudden censorship?  Ms. Todd behaved in good faith.  Viking did not. Something is rotten in Viking. 

Did you see all of her lectures?  Where you in the Pentagon during the events she lectured about?  No?  I was in the Pentagon during these events and trust me her skewed of reality is off the left side of the rails.  Total wacko.  Glad she was pulled.

Zouave stated: “Did you see all of her lectures?  Where you in the Pentagon during the events she lectured about?  No?  I was in the Pentagon during these events and trust me her skewed of reality is off the left side of the rails.  Total wacko.  Glad she was pulled.”

Yes, I have spent a lot of time in the Pentagon and other US Government buildings over the years but never worked with Gwenyth there.  No, I only saw the three lectures Viking had her present.  I saw the other lecture slides in the article.  I am a retired US Federal Government official who just wanted to enjoy the world as a civilian on this lively world cruise.  I found her briefings shocking but, I am sad to say, they rang true.  I realized that I myself was unwittingly complicit during my own career in allowing this sort of behavior to go on around me.

I am sorry that people are still attacking those few people brave enough to speak out.  I worry what my own daughters may have gone through that they have not dared reveal.  

Now, I am going to go back to enjoying the amenities aboard this beautiful ship because that is why I booked this cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panglossian321 said:

Now, I am going to go back to enjoying the amenities aboard this beautiful ship because that is why I booked this cruise.  

Wait... Viking wrote her on 25-Feb, telling her that her engagement was over.  This was the crossing, from 19-Feb (Chile) to 05-March (Russell, NZ.)  We're nearly two weeks past that.  Are you seriously claiming to still be on the ship now?!!!  Do you even know where you're claiming to be?  (Hint: You're in Australia now, nearly to the third stop at Tasmania.  Not the same kind of "mania" you seem to have.)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TechSurfer said:

Wait... Viking wrote her on 25-Feb, telling her that her engagement was over.  This was the crossing, from 19-Feb (Chile) to 05-March (Russell, NZ.)  We're nearly two weeks past that.  Are you seriously claiming to still be on the ship now?!!!  Do you even know where you're claiming to be?  (Hint: You're in Australia now, nearly to the third stop at Tasmania.  Not the same kind of "mania" you seem to have.)

This "contributor" (Panglossian) has given many indications that he/she is nothing more than a shill.

The account was created right before first post, and all 5 posts have been gushing and fawning over the nearly saint-like speaker.  While he/she hasn't strictly speaking stated anything report-worthy, I'm not buying a word of it.

16 hours ago, Panglossian321 said:

Sorry to disappoint but no, I am actually not Gwenyth and I am not even female.  I’ve never seen anything like this happen on a cruise and I decided to weigh in.

Although still counting down to our first Viking cruise, I have been on more than a few cruises and yes, I have seen changes made to lecture schedules.

Was it an issue - No. Attending lectures are a minuscule reason of why we cruise. 

2 hours ago, Panglossian321 said:

Heidi13, you will love Viking.  The ship and its crew are delightful.m

Just_Don’t, are you on board Viking Sun? Feel free to look for me at Mamsen’s and you can decide for yourself if I am real.  

Thanks, definitely counting down the days. Been almost a year since we booked and still 9.5 months to go.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, Panglossian321 said:

Heidi13, you will love Viking.  The ship and its crew are delightful.m

Just_Don’t, are you on board Viking Sun? Feel free to look for me at Mamsen’s and you can decide for yourself if I am real.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Panglossian321.  Was there a Meet & Greet on your cruise?  Do people know how to find you?  On my last cruise we had a Meet & Greet spreadsheet (shared on Google docs) and I lot of us shared cabin numbers.

Hello Zitsky,

Actually, Viking very kindly provided me and other passengers with printed business cards listing my name and stateroom on them.  I use them sparingly because I tend to spend a lot of time in the Atrium and at Mamsen’s or up with the mind blowing puzzles on Deck 2 and I have met most of the other WCs over the past months since Miami.  

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, just_dont said:

This "contributor" (Panglossian) has given many indications that he/she is nothing more than a shill.

The account was created right before first post, and all 5 posts have been gushing and fawning over the nearly saint-like speaker.  While he/she hasn't strictly speaking stated anything report-worthy, I'm not buying a word of it.

Roger that.

17 hours ago, Panglossian321 said:

Hello Zitsky,

Actually, Viking very kindly provided me and other passengers with printed business cards listing my name and stateroom on them.  I use them sparingly because I tend to spend a lot of time in the Atrium and at Mamsen’s or up with the mind blowing puzzles on Deck 2 and I have met most of the other WCs over the past months since Miami.  

Is this something they do on ocean, business cards?  Or was it because of the World Cruise?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Is this something they do on ocean, business cards?  Or was it because of the World Cruise?

It's just Panglossian321, who works for the DIA. Part of the cover.😎