Friends for lunch?

wabamun

10 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Do to security reasons Viking doesn't allow visitors on board.

I have to say that is not entirely accurate.  On the Inaugural WC, at each port, mobs of locals and their families (including children) came onboard.  Free meals abounded at the World Cafe.  So getting a visitor onboard depends......

14 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I have to say that is not entirely accurate.  On the Inaugural WC, at each port, mobs of locals and their families (including children) came onboard.  Free meals abounded at the World Cafe.  So getting a visitor onboard depends......

Maybe this was because it was the inaugural WC, but the paperwork for the sailing I am on in a few weeks states emphatically that no visitors are allowed on the ship due to security reasons.

Just now, OneSixtyToOne said:

Maybe this was because it was the inaugural WC, but the paperwork for the sailing I am on in a few weeks states emphatically that no visitors are allowed on the ship due to security reasons.

Just stating it as I saw it, not trying to start a fight.  Some, of course, were "dignitaries" but lots were just friends and family of such dignitaries.  Guess we didn't need security in Indonesia, China, etc....

Just now, Jim Avery said:

Just stating it as I saw it, not trying to start a fight.  Some, of course, were "dignitaries" but lots were just friends and family of such dignitaries.  Guess we didn't need security in Indonesia, China, etc....

Sounds like this was a WC publicity/goodwill gesture, Viking entering new markets, etc. Probably a one time occurrence.

It's a shame you can't bring friends onboard.  As a young person I got to go aboard United States, France, Michelangelo, Raffaello, and many other liners in NYC for only a token donation to their crew funds.  I know it was a much different world but still it gave thousands of people a glimpse of ship travel.  How many went on to book their own passages?  

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Only Viking can answer this question. Contact the folks at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Or maybe they will respond here.

I did just that a received a quick reply.

" Regrettably, we are unable to allow guests onboard to tour the ship or share a meal. We apologize for any inconvenience, and encourage you to check with Guest Services onboard for nearby restaurant recommendations, should you need them. "

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I seem to remember reading that on the World Cruise, Viking invited the families of the crew members to visit them on board during the cruise. I wonder if these were the locals you saw?

24 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

I seem to remember reading that on the World Cruise, Viking invited the families of the crew members to visit them on board during the cruise. I wonder if these were the locals you saw?

Crew did have family visit.  Crew and their families ate in the crew dining area.  These I was referring to were more like local officials an vip s.  And their friends and family.  Some had uniforms some did not.  My point in this is that at each port some visitors come onboard.  Just not our family and friends.  

Jim - sounds like the classic shore authorities. If they don't get all their extended family for a visit to the trough, the ship's clearance experiences some unexpected glitches. :classic_sad:

When our son worked with Princess, we could get aboard in Vancouver, but he had to submit personal details a week before arrival and we had to leave D/L or passport at the gangway.

In those days no pax could bring on guests, but I have fond memories of the open houses back in the 70's. Almost every passenger had family members board with them and embarkation day was a carnival atmosphere onboard. Fun part was getting the drunks off before we sailed, then we had the sailaway party with streamers to the family members standing on the dock. Great memories. 

I've wondered about this.  I did see at one port NZ/Australia what I assumed was a crew members child in the World Café.  I think having extra people come on board in ports would be irritating.  We enjoy the quiet on port days sometimes coming back for a quiet dinner.  I understand why other people would want to bring guest onboard, but for those who have paid for the quiet...I have mixed feelings. 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, wabamun said:

Does Viking allow us to have friends board for a lunch visit. I know it is possible with some cruise lines to purchase a visitors pass.

Thanks.

Not sure about having friends on board for lunch. However, on the Viking Sea (am still on board the ship)  in Dominica a couple of days ago, and saw about a dozen tour guides in uniforms helping themselves to the buffet at lunch-time in the World Cafe.

Edited by Gnoelj

On 3/18/2019 at 8:33 AM, Gnoelj said:

Not sure about having friends on board for lunch. However, on the Viking Sea (am still on board the ship)  in Dominica a couple of days ago, and saw about a dozen tour guides in uniforms helping themselves to the buffet at lunch-time in the World Cafe.

That's interesting!  We were on the Viking Sea in February and the same thing happened in Dominica for us.  All the various tour guides were there, including their managers.  We'd had such a fantastic trip Tubing down the River and then a wonderful guide for the afternoon included tour in Dominica, that we went over and thanked the tour managers and let them know.  They were quite appreciative!