What Have I Missed

Planning my first cruise in 4 years. Short 4 nighter on Sensation to Cozumel. I have been on 23 cruises total, most on Carnival and am Platinum. I used to cruise quite often but grew tired of it and did land vacations for the last few years. I am now sticking my foot back into Cruise World.

Tell me Good Folk, what is different? Any significant changes in the Carnival scene over the last few years. What used to be free that you now pay for? Do they still do the dress up night? Gala Buffet at night? Sail Away Party? Evacuation Drill? 

Thanks. 

Dress-up night = yes, called "Elegant Night" (no longer called "Formal Night", and perhaps the dress code is slightly relaxed to reflect that.)

Gala Buffet (midnight buffet) = no.  But there are some food options until about 11pm, and pizza all night long, plus room service (at a charge now, unfortunately).

Sail Away Party = yes.

Evacuation Drill = yes, called "Muster Drill".  No need to get your life jackets, just assemble at designated area.

Good luck, hope you have a good cruise!

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3

You can't take on anything in bottles except the allotted wine.  You can't do online checkin until 90 days out.  You have to choose a time to check in: no more mob outside the terminal at 1030 (this won't apply to you as you are platinum).  EM

Though not a big deal to me, there are a few things that are not done anymore such as

- Table cloths only on Elegant Night

- No longer get mints on your pillow

- As someone said already, Formal night is now Elegant Night.  Still nice, but not quite as dressy. See very few tuxes.

- no midnight gala.

- Room Service.  Still some free items until 10:00 PM, but charge now for after 10:00 PM.  Added some "Pay" items to room service during the day.

- Delivery Fee now for items ordered from the Fun Shops

- Steward will ask you if you want morning or night room cleaning. However, you can still request "both".

However, lots of great additions also.

- Guys Burgers (Free)

- Blue Aguana Burrito Bar

- Great selection of movies on the Lido (only on ships so equipped).

- Additions of many "Pay" eating venues like the steakhouse, itallion etc.

- Carnival App that shows activities, menus, account balance, maps etc. Additionally for $5 you can add a chat feature to use to communicate with friends and family on the ship.

- Improved WiFi (though still challenged on some ships

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crusinpsychRN said:

That delivery fee for Fun Shops is hefty too!

What are you getting at the fun shops that have to be delivered? 

You cant carry out a t-shirt and a pack of gum

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

That delivery fee for Fun Shops is hefty too!

8 hours ago, Bases5 said:

What are you getting at the fun shops that have to be delivered? 

You cant carry out a t-shirt and a pack of gum

Anything you order ahead of time to be delivered to your stateroom is from the Fun Shops.  Not the shops on board.

2 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Water doesn’t have the delivery charge. Liquor, decorations, party trays, snacks, etc do have a charge. 

I requested an anniversary decoration as a surprise. Is there an extra charge after?? 

We will be on Liberty in June. The Anniverary decoration was ordered online from the fun shop. 

Edited by CrazyIrving

2 hours ago, CrazyIrving said:

I requested an anniversary decoration as a surprise. Is there an extra charge after?? 

We will be on Liberty in June. The Anniverary decoration was ordered online from the fun shop. 

I’m pretty sure you were charged it when’s you purchased it. 

I had to go back and look at my email from our cruise this last week on Freedom.  I had ordered a bottle of Kahlua and a 12 pack of water.  I thought the extra charge on the invoice was sales tax.  It was delivery fee!  Yikes.

$80.00 - 1 liter of Kahlua

$4.50 - 12 pack of water

$15.21 - Delivery fees

$99.71 - Total charges!!!  

The water was in our room upon embarkation, but I didn't get my Kahlua until more than 28 hours later!  Figured I would have it the next morning at the latest, but wasn't delivered until we were at dinner on day 2.

Smoking is no longer allowed in cabins or on balconies.  

You can bring soda on board on embarkation day.  It must be in your carry ons or hand held.  Can't be in your checked in baggage.

As was mentioned above, you now have to choose a time slot to check in at the terminal.  That is the time that they expect you to check in, not before.  At some departure ports, there are three lines.  (Platinum/Diamond, Suites. FTTF.) (On Time) and (Early/Late).  The first two have very few people in them.  The Early/Late will be full because people show up either too early or have missed their time slot and  came late.  By the way, FTTF  has been around for a few years now.  It's Faster to the Fun.  Depending on how many days your cruise is, the price goes up.  It's close to $100 for an 8 day cruise.  It gives you a lot of the benefits of what the Platinum guests get.  (Early boarding, priority water shuttle, dedicated line at guest services, etc.)

Sail and Sign cards are no longer given out when checking in.  They are in your mailbox outside of your cabin.  

They no longer take your photo for their system unless you don't have a passport.  If you have a passport, they scan the photo on them.  Checking in is now a breeze.  

There is no longer the "Ding" when you leave or re-enter the ship.  They just scan your S&S card with a hand held IPad.

They no longer print all of the pictures they take of you.  You can look at them on screens and choose the ones you want, then they print them.  They are printed on 8x10 sheets.  For $19.95 you can get one 8x10 or two 5x7s or one 5x7 and four wallets or 8 wallets.

Luggage Express is no longer available with Carnival.  That's where they sent your luggage directly to the airlines and you didn't have to see it until you landed at the home airport.