Safe parking during cruise in Fll

Borman51

DH and I are cruising out of Fll in October.  We are driving down from Georgia and will arrive the day before the cruise.  I have found several hotels with “ Stay, park and cruise” specials.  I know the cost, price of parking ( some are complimentary), shuttle to port and other amenities.  We just need a place to crash.  No need to worry about being close to restaurants, etc. since we will have a car.  The only thing I don’t know is which areas are safe.  We won’t be going anywhere except dinner that evening, but we need to be sure that the area is safe to leave our car for 10 days.

The areas I am looking at are Dania beach ( Fairfield Inn, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn), 17th Street ( Hyatt Place), Hollywood ( La Quinta) and Commercial Blvd ( Holiday Inn Express).  

Are any of these areas preferable or are there any we should avoid?

Thanks

We drive to FLL from South Carolina and have done this VERY MANY times. 

Like to spend the night at a nice full service hotel a couple or so hours away from FLL the night before to break up the trip. Then drive down in the morning.  

The port terminal parking works best for us.  We drive to the area to drop of luggage.  The porter takes our luggage and we park at the terminal.  

When we return, a porter takes our luggage to the car.

Never waiting for suttles is a big PLUS to us.  :classic_cool:

9 hours ago, OCruisers said:

We drive to FLL from South Carolina and have done this VERY MANY times. 

Like to spend the night at a nice full service hotel a couple or so hours away from FLL the night before to break up the trip. Then drive down in the morning.  

The port terminal parking works best for us.  We drive to the area to drop of luggage.  The porter takes our luggage and we park at the terminal.  

When we return, a porter takes our luggage to the car.

Never waiting for suttles is a big PLUS to us.  :classic_cool:

OCruisers is there any problem of the port parking being full, or can you prebook a spot. Thanks 

30 minutes ago, 3carfan said:

OCruisers is there any problem of the port parking being full, or can you prebook a spot. Thanks 

I've never read of or seen Port Everglades (our home port) parking being full.  There is no pre-booking.  All you need to know about Port Everglades parking is at http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

I've never read of or seen Port Everglades (our home port) parking being full.  There is no pre-booking.  All you need to know about Port Everglades parking is at http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/

Thank you,  know I had no problem at Cape Canaveral port so hopefully port Everglades is the same

Depends what time you get there.  You are arriving the day before.  So just go to your cruise around 10AM.  Plenty of parking.  If you arrive in the afternoon, I've still never heard of full lots, but more likely to have parking issues then.  At 10AM, people are still leaving, spots opening up, and it's before all the crowds arriving.

58 minutes ago, 3carfan said:

Thank you,  know I had no problem at Cape Canaveral port so hopefully port Everglades is the same

You'll be absolutely fine -- even more parking at port Everglades than at port Canaveral.

Once, we arrived at about 2 PM ... still plenty of parking spaces.  :classic_wink:

29 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Depends what time you get there.  You are arriving the day before.  So just go to your cruise around 10AM.  Plenty of parking.  If you arrive in the afternoon, I've still never heard of full lots, but more likely to have parking issues then.  At 10AM, people are still leaving, spots opening up, and it's before all the crowds arriving.

Thanks for info silhouette won’t be unloading but will be loading so I thought that might make a difference, if that sailing is still on

20 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

www.sunny.org has a list of Hotels offering cruise parking deals.

I would also check www.stay123.com and www.parksleepfly.com

Thank you.  That’s how I found the hotels I mentioned above.  I just need to know which neighborhoods are safe.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, Borman51 said:

Thanks everyone.  I was hoping to save some money and stay in a hotel with free parking.

I don't know about the other hotels you have mentioned, but the Hyatt Place 17th St charges for parking every night.  We have stayed there a few of our last cruises and even as a guest we had to pay $10 per night for parking.

I don't believe you will be able to get free parking for the week, unless they have a cruise/park package that is a lot higher than just the room rate.

Edited by katiel53

3 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

There are areas of Dania Beach, just south of the Port, which are safer than 8% of US neighborhoods

Safer than 8% means less safe than 92%!   Is that correct? :classic_ohmy:

30 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I don't know about the other hotels you have mentioned, but the Hyatt Place 17th St charges for parking every night.  We have stayed there a few of our last cruises and even as a guest we had to pay $10 per night for parking.

I don't believe you will be able to get free parking for the week, unless they have a cruise/park package that is a lot higher than just the room rate.

I found a cruise/park package with 7 days free parking and $7/ day for extra days for not much more than regular rate through stay123.com

1 minute ago, Borman51 said:

I found a cruise/park package with 7 days free parking and $7/ day for extra days for not much more than regular rate through stay123.com

Good for you.  I might have been wrong on the nightly rate as it may have been $7 per night.

Have you looked at ValueTrips to see what rate you can get for that hotel?  I ask that because they discount the hotel rate quite a bit, but in the overall, you might get the best rate booking another way.

When I  sail with my son and family we park at the port, but that's partly because it is a looooooong ride back to Upstate NY.  I fly back, but they drive and want to be off the ship asap and get on the road as they do the trip in 2 days.

Have fun and enjoy Allure.  It's my favorite ship.

47 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Good for you.  I might have been wrong on the nightly rate as it may have been $7 per night.

Have you looked at ValueTrips to see what rate you can get for that hotel?  I ask that because they discount the hotel rate quite a bit, but in the overall, you might get the best rate booking another way.

When I  sail with my son and family we park at the port, but that's partly because it is a looooooong ride back to Upstate NY.  I fly back, but they drive and want to be off the ship asap and get on the road as they do the trip in 2 days.

Have fun and enjoy Allure.  It's my favorite ship.

We live in Georgia and plan to spend 2 days to get down and home.

2 days to upstate NY?  Wow!  DH is from Baldwinsville.

we’re sailing on the Island Princess.

thanks for the suggestion of ValueTrips, but I don’t think that includes stay/park/cruise packages.