Curious about Passover on Royal...

HLR

Hi All!

I'm curious about Passover on RCL. I have never been on a ship for this Jewish holiday. I am not religious, but this will be a first that I am not either with family or more recently cooking for another family. I will be on Grandeur in a few weeks.

I heard rumor that they cordon off a part of the Buffet? That would be really weird! As it should be one long table....unless they arrange all the tables into one big table?

What can people tell me? 

HLR

Edited by HLR

5 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi All!

I'm curious about Passover on RCL. I have never been on a ship for this Jewish holiday. I am not religious, but this will be a first that I am not either with family or more recently cooking for another family. I will be on Grandeur in a few weeks.

I heard rumor that they cordon off a part of the Buffet? That would be really weird! As it should be one long table....unless they arrange all the tables into one big table?

What can people tell me? 

HLR

It depends on how many people they expect.  They try to accommodate all at one table, but if there are too many people, they do it differently.

You board on Thursday and seder is Friday night, so they won't have much time to ascertain how many will want to attend.  But you can inquire at Guest Services when you board.

Interesting question.  I too will be on Grandeur, but for the end of Passover.  This is the first time I'll have ever sailed during this holiday.  I 'try' to do what I can following basic dietary law, (only during Passover) but suspect that will go out of the window this year. Do let me know what you find out.

Erika

10 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi All!

I'm curious about Passover on RCL...I heard rumor that they cordon off a part of the Buffet?

We were on Anthem for Rosh Hashana in 2017.  A large family with their friends had their seder in the back part of Windjammer - a small part of it it was closed off, but only so they wouldn't have distractions during prayers and singing.  The Windjammer chef told them that my aunts had asked about holiday food and services... they came out and invited us to join in!

The Windjammer chef (I wish I could remember his name) also took care of things.  In addition to providing a good seder, he also made sure that there was a brisket at the carving station... and apple sauce!  :classic_smile: 

--bruce T.

I was on Anthem during Passover last year (it started March 30, we boarded March 31), I don't recall seeing any special considerations for those observing, but I also didn't look for it too hard so there may have been something.

I definitely don't recall seeing one large table set up in the WindJammer.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It depends on how many people they expect.  They try to accommodate all at one table, but if there are too many people, they do it differently.

You board on Thursday and Seder is Friday night, so they won't have much time to ascertain how many will want to attend.  But you can inquire at Guest Services when you board.

Will do! If nothing else...it should be an interesting evening. I guess I should dig out my "Maxwell House"  [okay...anyone get that?] Haggadah. [Haggadah = Passover Seder prayer book]

Howard

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Btank said:

We were on Anthem for Rosh Hashana in 2017.  A large family with their friends had their seder in the back part of Windjammer - a small part of it it was closed off, but only so they wouldn't have distractions during prayers and singing.  

The Windjammer chef (I wish I could remember his name) also took care of things.  In addition to providing a good seder, he also made sure that there was a brisket at the carving station... and apple sauce!  :classic_smile: 

--bruce T.

Bruce, are u talking about Rosh Ha-Shana, or Passover "seder"??😀

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Bruce, are u talking about Rosh Ha-Shana, or Passover "seder"??😀

My apologies!  Rosh Hashana - I thought that "seder" was the generic term for a holiday dinner.  Disclaimer: the're Jewish, I'm not.

--bruce T.

• Haha 1