Anyone been to Noumea by cruise ship in last couple of months

11 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

You are right...great logic! People should obviously just buy insurance and not use it for the purpose in which it was purchased to keep the premiums low. 

Of course it makes sense to make claims for events that are covered when they occur. For me, your proposition that for you insurance is some sort of speculative gamble to make money is the issue. Pay the premium & 'hope' that you miss a port(s) & make a profit on the insurance. Insurance is designed to reimburse for out of pocket - what are you out of pocket when you miss a port? You should be refunded any pre-paid tours, you get refunded port charges, and in some cases the ship will give OBC as compensation.

So, for you, the equation becomes:

Value of Cruise = Cruise Fare + Expenses + Insurance Premium - Insurance Refund

with the lower the final number the better??

Of course you view it as:

Profit = Insurance - Insurance Refund

with the higher the number the better!

You do know that by not going on the cruise at all, you will have more money.

I will seek to avoid TI that includes such coverage, as I am surely paying for 'missed port' insurance in the premium. I cruise to visit the ports, and have missed some thru weather, but have never been out of pocket on these, so no financial loss, just the disappointment of not 'doing' the port. Never even thought that getting a few dollars would be 'better' than actually going there!

On 3/18/2019 at 2:13 AM, Bpos said:

Has anyone travelled to Noumea recently by way of a cruise?

If so, were you asked for documentation or ask to prove that you had comprehensive travel insurance..

A lot of cruisers on this forum have received recent notification from their respective cruise line that French authorities have specified visitors need

comprehensive travel insurance and that without it, you may be denied entry of the ship in Noumea.

Surely someone has been there recently?

Yes both wife and I have and we were not asked about Travel Insurance or validity of Passport. I have understood that your Passport has to be at least 6 month life on it AFTER you return . . . not whilst you are away. Also anyone travelling anywhere without valid Travel Insurance these days needs their head read. But to answer  your questions . . . never questioned at all by anyone.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I will seek to avoid TI that includes such coverage, as I am surely paying for 'missed port' insurance in the premium. I cruise to visit the ports, and have missed some thru weather, but have never been out of pocket on these, so no financial loss, just the disappointment of not 'doing' the port. Never even thought that getting a few dollars would be 'better' than actually going there!

Well you may just cost yourself money, because we deal with a very reputable company that does cover many of the things that you object to paying for and it does so at a far cheaper rate than some others that don't include such cover. However, as a recent TV advertisement says, it is not against the law to waste your money.

Just want to chime in that if people choose not to get insurance for whatever reason it doesn’t give you a reason to be cruel about them or condescending. People are entitled to make a calculated decision about whether it would benefit them just like anything else in life- if you are young, never had a health issue and have enough money to cover yourself than it is fair to assume that it is extremely unlikely that you will incur costs for laying on beaches in the South Pacific and can save the money for other things. On the flip side if you’re older or have pre existing conditions then insurance is basically essential unless you are very well off.

I’m not saying either is correct, just that different things work for different people and because people have different ideas on insurance doesn’t mean you can take a moral high ground.

I’ve insured myself on each cruise and never once claimed, luckily I get it through my credit card now so it isn’t an actual added expense. Just an example that I’ve probably spent $8000+ on all my travels+cruises across my life and never once claimed. I got peace of mind for it but I’ve basically thrown $8000 away unnecessarily that I could have used if something were to actually happen. (insurance companies operate to make a profit).

It would be nice if you could all meet in the middle here and understand if people are choosing not to get insurance, it doesn’t make them the devil, just that it doesn’t work for them as individuals. It works for you and that’s great, you keep insuring and knowing you’re covered.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Of course it makes sense to make claims for events that are covered when they occur. For me, your proposition that for you insurance is some sort of speculative gamble to make money is the issue. Pay the premium & 'hope' that you miss a port(s) & make a profit on the insurance. Insurance is designed to reimburse for out of pocket - what are you out of pocket when you miss a port? You should be refunded any pre-paid tours, you get refunded port charges, and in some cases the ship will give OBC as compensation.

Not to disagree with your point, but just to clarify that not all operators give a refund of port charges when a port is missed. I appreciate it when they do, but it's not a given.

30 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Well you may just cost yourself money, because we deal with a very reputable company that does cover many of the things that you object to paying for and it does so at a far cheaper rate than some others that don't include such cover. However, as a recent TV advertisement says, it is not against the law to waste your money.

Thanks for your concern about me costing myself money. You may be right of course, but I'm fine with the annual policy we have in place, covering all our travels, not just cruises. Our main concerns are to have coverage for the 'big' things ie OS medical & evacuation, so look for affordable coverage to achieve that.

Hope to catch up with you on a cruise one day, we can have a drink - I'll shout, even though your are the one saving the cash 🙂

25 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Not to disagree with your point, but just to clarify that not all operators give a refund of port charges when a port is missed. I appreciate it when they do, but it's not a given.

Your advice is noted - I thought it was automatic, & I think we have always got it on our cruises (maybe 3-4 ports missed), perhaps not? But I'm always happy to learn.

We have had port fees and such refunded with a missed port and they would refund any shorex costs of course. But we have the insurance to also cover any out of pocket expenses for private excursions, some will refund some or all of the cost but others will have a 100% fee for no shows or cancellations.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

To Mr Walker sincere apologies, having re read your post I realise it was tongue in cheek.

15 hours ago, mr walker said:

Thank you for your thoughtful response. You do, however, make some very big assumptions about my motivations. I bought this "cruise" insurance because we traveled with our three children and had very big concerns about missing the ship for whatever reason, especially since we tended to take third-party excursions. People, including us, take pricier cruise line excursions because of this concern. This travel insurance designed for cruises covers the expenses of getting back to the ship should something unfortunate happen. And I take cruises because I like to cruise. I didn't have this type of insurance or even know about it on my first eight or so cruises. So your presumption that I take cruises for possible insurance profit is wrong. If I did intend to do so, I would know enough to take cruises exclusively during hurricane season only in the hurricane belt visiting those ports with fairly predictable weather disruptions. My cruise list in my signature shows I don't do that.

You also state that "Insurance is designed to reimburse for out of pocket" based on your understanding of policies with which you have experienced. I agree that is true for the majority of insurance. In this case, your assertion is wrong. My insurance company says in their advertisement for this policy:

Port of Call Change

If the cruise line changes your itinerary prior to departure and you elect to embark on the voyage, this plan will provide a one time payment of $1,250 to compensate you for this inconvenience (see coverage details below)

ITINERARY CHANGE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

It doesn't say anything about paying my documented lost out-of-pocket expenses. All of the OTHER coverage under this policy is based on out-of-pocket expenses. It actually pays documented pre-paid non-refundable tours in addition to the flat itinerary change amount. I will also note that I found this insurance through a travel insurance locator/comparison website. It was less expensive than the insurance I had previously purchased through Carnival, and was not the least or most expensive of the other general travel policies. It had the coverage I wanted at an acceptable price. I know this coverage is a highlighted feature of this policy specifically promoted by the insurance company to appeal to cruisers, it is included in my premium, and I will claim it when I am eligible.

The whole point was, like others have said in this thread, that I think it is important to have travel insurance especially on cruise vacations, and this is just another point of information that I use to persuade people to think about the benefits of travel insurance when they hesitate because of the cost.

• Like 1

Just to reiterate:  I was in Noumea last Thursday (by cruise ship), no-one asked to sight insurance docs.  Yes I always travel with insurance, personal choice though.

BTW I love Noumea (now that usually starts a ruckus too!)

😄

• 3 weeks later...

In Noumea now, can answer my own question.  Never asked by anyone, any where before getting on the ship, while on the ship or when getting off in Noumea.  Hope the situation does not change for others in future cruises to this destination

12 minutes ago, Bpos said:

In Noumea now, can answer my own question.  Never asked by anyone, any where before getting on the ship, while on the ship or when getting off in Noumea.  Hope the situation does not change for others in future cruises to this destination

Thanks Bpos for taking the time to answer your question😂

Have a great time on your cruise!!

3 hours ago, Bpos said:

Thanks for the update, perhaps it is only applied if and when the situation arises.

My personal view on the New Cal TI stipulation (their country, their rules): 99% of the time travelers will not be asked for evidence of TI. However the 1% will eventually arrive, and those denied entry will be up in arms about it - like they were never told or "I been here 50 times before and my MIL 80 times and never been asked..."

I am imagining that perhaps eventually the cruise lines will add evidence of your TI to your check-in details, along with your passport and visa details (if required) and all of those details will be passed to the New Cal authorities as part of customs clearing the ship on arrival. 

I am gathering that perhaps NCal is tired of having tourists turn up requiring treatment, and then not paying for it. 

As to being young, healthy and not needing it: anyone can fall over and break their leg, arm, shoulder, need their appendix out, etc.  My son at 16 had a spontaneous pneumothorax which meant he could not fly for 6 months after. All 6 of us on our upcoming planned air trip were able to cancel and claim costs back from the TI. The same son smashed his ankle 6.5 weeks prior to another planned trip. We almost had to cancel and claim that one too, but he was cleared to fly 2 weeks prior to the trip.

Went there on a B2B on the 21st & 28th of march. 

Was told via e-mail from my cruise company that i could be refused entry into new cali (noumea); if I didn't have Insurance (covering air-lifts etc).

No one on these 2 cruises where checked or asked to show documentation..

I did as what the cruise line had asked. 

I have only twice in 16 previous cruises bought insurance. they where Singapore to Sydney & Sydney to Seattle as these where long cruises & especially going to USA. I have normally risked it with-out any problems.. 

But with any cruises going to the islands until the requirement is lifted I will buy insurance. local cruises no, until I get older.... Happy cruising..