Venice Post Cruise Hotel

Djwright0918

We are going on the Star Greek Isle cruise in August 2019.  We are staying 2 nights prior to the cruise in Venice.  Upon our return, instead of stressing about getting off the boat and rushing for the airport, we are staying one extra day in Venice and leaving on Monday.  Any suggestions for a hotel that we can stay at, see some sights close to the hotel and have an easy transfer to the airport in the morning for an 11am flight?  Or would it be better to leave our luggage at the port and wander around and get a hotel near the airport Sunday night?

3 hours ago, Djwright0918 said:

We are going on the Star Greek Isle cruise in August 2019.  We are staying 2 nights prior to the cruise in Venice.  Upon our return, instead of stressing about getting off the boat and rushing for the airport, we are staying one extra day in Venice and leaving on Monday.  Any suggestions for a hotel that we can stay at, see some sights close to the hotel and have an easy transfer to the airport in the morning for an 11am flight?  Or would it be better to leave our luggage at the port and wander around and get a hotel near the airport Sunday night?

Great info on hotels here:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

Staying near Piazzale Roma is quite convenient for catching the airport bus.

• Like 1

Piazzale Roma area would definitely be the easiest area for you.  

It's only a 20 minute ride to the airport.  Taxi will be about 40E or the ATVO express bus boards at PRoma and costs about 8E pp. For an 11am flight I'd plan on leaving the hotel  7:30 - 8am. The airport is chaos.

And PRoma is about 2 blocks from the Grand Canal so you can take a water bus to do more sightseeing. 

The first group of hotels in the following list are right on the square so you don't have any bridges to cross. The next grouping of hotels require one small bridge to cross and a 5 minute walk.  (If you need an elevator be sure to inquire )

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-piazzale-roma.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

We did this in October (although we stayed two nights). But we chose to stay at the Plaza Hotel in Mestre. It is right across the street from the trains which made it easy to get back into Venice. And it was a quick taxi ride to the airport. Plus the room was huge!

Prior to the cruise, we stayed 3 nights in Venice in the Santa Croce district at an amazing Hotel (Hotel Al Duca). Wonderful hotel close to everything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DisneyCrazy123 said:

I am thinking about staying at Hotel Al Duca. How did you transfer from the airport to the hotel and hotel to port?  Was it pretty easy? Did you have to carry your luggage very far?  

You won’t regret it! So we used a shared transfer service from the airport to the hotel. They dropped us off near the San Stae vaparetto stop and then we walked maybe 5 minutes to the hotel. Over two small bridges I believe. My parents were with me and they found it quite easy with the bags.

Then for the trip to the port, we booked a private transfer from the hotel straight to the port. The guide came into the hotel to get us and help with the bags. It was awesome. A little expensive but worth it. Both transfers were booked with Viator. 

This was a fabulous hotel. A great breakfast and the best location. Not too busy, lots of little restaurants nearby and a maybe 15 minute walk to the Rialto bridge.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

We were in Venice beginning of September 1 year ago for 4 nights.  We took the train from Florence and I found a hotel that had no bridges to cross.  Stayed at Palazzo Cendon.  An old villa with Elevator and nice location.  The Alilaguna was across the canal with only a small bridge to cross to get to the airport.  We caught the 7 am boat and was at airport in about 40 min.  Would stay again.

Viatour is a booking agency .  Just as easy is to go to the water taxi desk in the arrivals hall and take a taxi to your hotel.  Sharing is normal practice.  Expensive but worth the cost ,especially after a long flight.   From your hotel to the port, simply ask the concierge in your hotel.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:38 PM, DisneyCrazy123 said:

I am thinking about staying at Hotel Al Duca. How did you transfer from the airport to the hotel and hotel to port?  Was it pretty easy? Did you have to carry your luggage very far?  

We stayed at Hotel Al Duca Oct. 2017. It was fabulous. We took a private water from airport to hotel. We only walked about 3 min.

The hotel arranged for us taxi to to pier. The hotel staff took our luggage and loaded it. The taxi took us straight to the pier and unloaded our luggage. 

• Like 1