PIER AT COCO CAY

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've never seen any indication of cell service on Coco Cay.

Sprint had service for me on the island.   One of the folks in my group rented a MiFi hotspot device in Nassau and bought a service plan with a Bahamian carrier which also worked in Coco Cay.

4 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Not surprised...but just making the point that there are a number of ways that communications could be established - even via an "extension" of a ship's phone or WIFI systems. It is technologically possible, but appears to not yet be in play.

I can see them installing a satellite internet connection on the island with hotspots all over.  If they include this WiFi as part of the ship VOOM service, I think their biggest problem will be transferring the subscriber info to the island servers. 

If they use the ship's satellite service, then they can easily connect a fiber optic cable from the ship to a receptacle on the pier.  That would be a fairly easy process, except when there are two ships docked and they have to merge subscriber info. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I can see them installing a satellite internet connection on the island with hotspots all over.  If they include this WiFi as part of the ship VOOM service, I think their biggest problem will be transferring the subscriber info to the island servers. 

If they use the ship's satellite service, then they can easily connect a fiber optic cable from the ship to a receptacle on the pier.  That would be a fairly easy process, except when there are two ships docked and they have to merge subscriber info. 

Indeed those are good options.

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I also can't find anywhere in their ads for Perfect Day where it says anything about Wifi!  I know I had cell service there though previously but that was 2012, but I can't imagine it got worse!

We've never had cell service at Coco Cay.  Who is your carrier?

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We've never had cell service at Coco Cay.  Who is your carrier?

Verizon 🙂  I know I posted pics of my day to FB that day and texted, and wasn't using ship service.  That was my only time there - June 2012

Edited by ShillyShally

Just an FYI, the Anthem docked at Coco Cay last week, on the 3/23 cruise out of Bayonne.  I was on that cruise and it was was really nice to use the Pier!  So at least a Quantum class can dock there now.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, Biker19 said:

That’s probably one of the choices though with people potentially staying there overnight they probably need some other option too. 

Do you mean crew or will some ships be tendered overnight?

3 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Do you mean crew or will some ships be tendered overnight?

Royal has announced that at some point in the future guests will have the option of staying overnight on the island.  How they return to Florida could either be by a different ship or a separate shuttle ship.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal has announced that at some point in the future guests will have the option of staying overnight on the island.  

Oh wow, I had not seen that . Interesting.

8 hours ago, kakabel said:

Just an FYI, the Anthem docked at Coco Cay last week, on the 3/23 cruise out of Bayonne.  I was on that cruise and it was was really nice to use the Pier!  So at least a Quantum class can dock there now.  

We'll be on the Symphony in July.  Hoping to dock there as well.

Do you also know if they charge to use the pool

Liz💐

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal has announced that at some point in the future guests will have the option of staying overnight on the island.  How they return to Florida could either be by a different ship or a separate shuttle ship.  

In the hot air balloon.😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, knots4crewzing said:

We'll be on the Symphony in July.  Hoping to dock there as well.

Do you also know if they charge to use the pool

Liz💐

Currently they do NOT charge to use the Oasis pool.  It is open early, and there were many people using it last week.  It was really nice.  No cabanas yet though, not sure exactly where they are going to go...  but they could be nice.  

• Like 1