Do NOT use a Taxi at the port in St. Kitts?????

beshears

I had planned on getting a Taxi at the port, to take us to see Timothy Hill and to the beach.  I just read, that it was advisable NOT to take a Taxi in St. Kitts, as they cannot be trusted, and that we need to have a tour guide?  Is this true????

30 minutes ago, beshears said:

I had planned on getting a Taxi at the port, to take us to see Timothy Hill and to the beach.  I just read, that it was advisable NOT to take a Taxi in St. Kitts, as they cannot be trusted, and that we need to have a tour guide?  Is this true????

I answered one of your other questions on another thread, but we have never had issues getting a taxi or had any problems with a driver in St. Kitts.  There should be someone at the end of the pier and before you get into the cruise center shopping area that can arrange taxis and tours.  Usually if you take a taxi to go to the beach, they will wait till the van is full before they leave to go to the beach.  The only issue with that maybe be others may not want to stop at Timothy Hill.  But I would definitely ask the driver if it's possible to stop at Timothy Hill.  If you aren't able to stop on the way, you can always ask the driver who takes you from the beach back to the ship if he will.  They're usually pretty good about stopping there.  I know the most popular view from Timothy Hill is that section where you can see both the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, but check out the other side too.  Just beautiful (attaching pics - first pic is the popular view, 2nd pic is the other side). 

20150925_105228-1-1.jpg

20150925_105753.jpg

• Like 1

We have very little issue with our Taxi Drivers.
All are licensed and wear ID. All also have a "Tour Guide test" (Although some are better than others at this).

Taxi prices are fixed, just ask the price before your journey.

Unless there are 4 or more of you then a shared taxi is going to be cheaper than taking your own.

If you don't want to get involved at the end of the pier then the taxi station is located 200 yds ahead on your right.

If you want to sort it all before arrival then contact this lady:

Liz Pereira Tours

• 1 month later...

We had no problem with our taxi driver and he refused any payment after we got dropped off at our beach and said this way we would be sure he came back to pick us up when we wanted - and he did.  Price was set before we headed out, and he stopped for photo ops at a couple locations as well.  All was good.

Don

On 3/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, beshears said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. The taxi's at Port Zante are all regulated. Never a problem.

After posting what I did about St. Kitts, I'm so glad we wound up taking a Taxi.  It had been over 20 some years since I had been there, and the Taxi driver was very informative, and we seen so much MORE of St. Kitts than years ago.  I would highly recommend getting a Taxi driver, and taking a tour of St. Kitts.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, beshears said:

After posting what I did about St. Kitts, I'm so glad we wound up taking a Taxi.  It had been over 20 some years since I had been there, and the Taxi driver was very informative, and we seen so much MORE of St. Kitts than years ago.  I would highly recommend getting a Taxi driver, and taking a tour of St. Kitts.

How long was your Taxi tour and what sights did you see and what stops?  Did you get the Taxi at the Taxi stand and just say you wanted a tour of St Kitts?

I'll be honest in regard to the Taxi.  A couple ladies that are at our dining table ask us to join them on a tour of St. Kitts, as their cousin lived there.  We were going to go, but with the vehicle he had, my friend could not step up high to get into it, so we bowed out.  I really didn't want to go back to the ship, and had no clue what to to after this episode.  There was a man in the main square shopping area that was trying to drum up business.  I didn't know what the cost would be, etc., but told him we would like to have a tour  for a couple hours, and what we would pay.  I told him we needed a vehicle that my friend could get into easily.  He said he would see what he could do.  He got this man (he told us to call him Jimmy as that is what everyone else calls him) who had a vehicle that Carol could get into easy.  I cannot name all the places/sights that we seen in the 2 - 3 hour tour, but it was worth the $20 we paid for each of us!  I believe he actually took us completely around the island.