Freedom Cruise and thankful for travel insurance

We planned over a year for this cruise.  It included my husband, sister and her husband. We had booked JS next to each other on the hump. Flew into San Juan on Friday, enjoyed a beautiful day touring San Juan. Boarded the ship on Sunday, had a nice first day on the ship, unpacked and got organized. Loved our rooms and had the balcony divider opened. We were so excited!

Our mom has had many hospital stays the past few years, but in November she had an aorta valve replacement and she was doing great.  So we felt good about her health when final payment was due.  When we left for our trip, she had gone to doctor and had a sinus infection.  However, we received word on Saturday that she had been hospitalized. Family felt she was in good place, so we continued on with our trip.  On Monday morning around 7AM we received a call that she had taken a bad turn and would not survive.  By the grace of God, we were able to FaceTime with our dad and other siblings my moms final moments.  

At at this time we were way out at sea on our way to Curacao to arrive the following Tuesday morning.  Our husbands worked most of the day trying to get us home.  RC personnel were very kind and helpful. They provided all that we needed to make arrangements.  But we had to find our own flights.  There was only one flight that we could even book, it was AA, going to Miami then connecting to Atlanta. Being spring break, it was totally booked except for 5 seats, we took 4 of them and they were business class. Which at that time, I appreciated very much. 

In Curacao we had to go to imagration, then straight to airport which does not open till 1:30 pm.   It was a long sad travel day, arriving home at 3AM Wednesday morning.  Everything considered, it all went smoothly.   Once home, we began funeral arrangements 

I apologize  for pouring all this out, once I started typing, it just kept coming.  

All this to say, I am so thankful we bought the insurance.  We don’t know how this will all play out, my husband is submitting all our paperwork today, they said it would be several weeks for them to review and process. We booked the insurance thru RC. 

Can anyone provide me information on your experience?

Thank you. 

CruiseBell (Vickie) in Georgia 

• Like 3

So very sorry to hear.  I am confident that Royal Caribbean Insurance will pay appropriately.  My Mother passed away in 2011 only 2 weeks before our cruise.  We were insured by a third party, and they were very sympathetic and easy to work with at such a difficult time.  Hopefully you will receive the same from Royal Caribbean.  

1 hour ago, CruiseBell said:

Can anyone provide me information on your experience?

Thank you. 

CruiseBell (Vickie) in Georgia 

My mother had an issue on a cruise.  Insurance through Royal.

First thing is, even though you purchased it through the cruise line, it is actually a policy with a travel insurance company.

They will check that the issue is covered under the policy, and if it is, they will pay.  Simple.

In our case, we contacted the insurance while she was still in the hospital in Canada.  They got some info, the interfaced directly with the hospital, ambulance, and med evac and paid all the bills directly.

Issue can be whether the situation is covered or not.  But typically, what happened to you is covered.

• Like 1

Many condolences to you and your family during this sad time. Your insurance payment will probably be pro-rated according to how much time you were on the ship.But I'm glad you were able to get home. Depends on the insurance broker how fast your claim will be settled. You may have to provide a death certificate.Best of luck.