Live! DragonOfTheSeas' B2B on the Grandeur of the Seas 3.28 to 4.18.19

4 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

On vision class explorers and voyagers are always combined as they only have one room for them, and one for the aquanauts. 

So its 50 explorers and voyagers combined. Not 50 explorers and 50 voyagers.

Yes, I understand that and the printed information is clear on that.  . . . my explanation, not so much.  😁

Just to be clear that means the total Adventure Ocean capacity is 65 children from 3-11 at any given time. 

1 minute ago, theknittinglibrarian said:

I'm loving the review & all of the information you're sharing! 

Youve already covered teens & younger kids, but what about the nursery? We'll be onboard in a few months & are interested in anything you can find out - hours??

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Sure I will check it out. 

13 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I am not sure if I mentioned the itinerary for the current cruise. . . or if you can even remember from the first posting. LOL  Here it is!

itinerary.png

Look forward to hearing how this is, this is one route we've been considering!

20 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

this is the itinerary I want in 2020-2021 when my kid is out of school. I have only been to St Maarten. Cant wait for updates.

This is the last cruise with this itinerary of the season.  Grandeur will now switch to Bermuda, Bahama and Canada Sailings. the next 12 night with this itinerary is the end of November. 

23 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

this is the itinerary I want in 2020-2021 when my kid is out of school. I have only been to St Maarten. Cant wait for updates.

This is the last cruise with this itinerary of the season.  Grandeur will now switch to Bermuda, Bahama and Canada Sailings. The next 12 night with this itinerary is the end of November.  These are mostly available in the winter season.

Hi Dragon!

Judging by your sailing what spa specials might we expect on massages for the next sailing? I am wondering if I should book something pre-cruise or if there will be a better deal once on board for a port day? [Would sailing/leaving from Bermuda at 2:30 pm be considered a port day with specials?]

And ... are they serving smoked salmon at the Windjammer breakfast buffet? Just something to get excited about...I really like smoked salmon, but going to the MDR for breakfast by myself is boring. 

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

This is the last cruise with this itinerary of the season.  Grandeur will now switch to Bermuda, Bahama and Canada Sailings. the next 12 night with this itinerary is the end of November. 

I hope one day to do the 12 night with that itinerary but will be happy to try her with Bermuda too hopefully soon!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi Dragon!

Judging by your sailing what spa specials might we expect on massages for the next sailing? I am wondering if I should book something pre-cruise or if there will be a better deal once on board for a port day? [Would sailing/leaving from Bermuda at 2:30 pm be considered a port day with specials?]

And ... are they serving smoked salmon at the Windjammer breakfast buffet? Just something to get excited about...I really like smoked salmon, but going to the MDR for breakfast by myself is boring. 

Our first port day is not until Wednesday.  I will make sure to check out spa offers.  I think I remember some listed on the last cruise.

I feel there would be port specials on the day you leave Bermuda.  When we have overnighted in Bermuda the ship always felt very empty.  People spent most of their time ashore.  YMMV

I have not noticed any smoked salmon at breakfast in the windjammer--this cruise or on the last.

I know you are getting excited.  It won't be long.

12 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Try Park Cafe for breakfast salmon.  In the past it has been in the area that holds the salad bar at lunch.  It’s worth a try.  Katherine 

I will check it out.  I remember that, too now that you mention it. 

20 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

This is the last cruise with this itinerary of the season.  Grandeur will now switch to Bermuda, Bahama and Canada Sailings. The next 12 night with this itinerary is the end of November.  These are mostly available in the winter season.

Do you find that the longer cruise is much more older people or is it still a good mix?

20 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi Dragon!

Lady Hudson you are correct.  They serve the smoked salmon in the Park Café.  As you said, it is in the section used for salads during lunch.  There are bagels, various spreads, onions, etc. 

1 hour ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Do you find that the longer cruise is much more older people or is it still a good mix?

For sure you will find an older demographic on a longer cruise--really anything over a week.  However, I do not think this week is older than last cruise and it was 3 days shorter. 

We have been cruising for 19 years.  [very sporadically at first] We often found ourselves the youngest ones at the dinner table.  . . .Now we are retirees.  I would say we are in the middle as far as age on this cruise goes.

edit--I wanted to add: There is a sign on a cabin door we passed last night after dinner.  It says happy 90 birthday Dad.  . . . You have to love that!

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 2

OK--here is the information on the Royal Babies and Tots.  This program is not included in the cruise price.  The fee is $6/hr in the daytime and $8/hr in the evening. I have always heard that you want to visit and sign up for the allotted hours on the first day.  Often not all of the hours are used and you can get additional.  But, at least this means you will be able to space out some times to have some adult time.  

They use pagers to call you if there is an issue.  You are expected to bring anything the baby/tot might need. [diapers, wipes, formula etc]

The nursery does take children while you are on an excursion off the ship. [if space is available]  You must make arrangements 24 hrs in advance for these slots.

One thing I think is important to note is that there is no children's pool on the Grandeur.  Swim diapers are not allowed in the pool.  So, only potty trained children have use of a pool.

tots.jpg

tots 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tutzig said:

Loving the review! Living in Baltimore, I saw the ship twice on Saturday!

I actually laughed and waved and said, Hey Dragon is on there!

Enjoy, will continue to follow!

Ha Ha Ha.  😁 Sorry I missed you.  Thanks for following along.  We will start our port days tomorrow.  I hope our excellent weather holds out.  

There was the nicest rainbow this morning. Here are a few of the pictures.

It started with an arc from the front of the ship.

rainbow arc.jpg

Then it grew to be the full length of the deck/

rainbow best.jpg

It finally evaporated when the sun came out. 

rainbow last half.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1

HLR--there was a spa special today for $149 for a head to toe treatment.  massage, facial, foot and ankle massage.  If you add hot stones or bamboo it is $20 more.  

Since I have not checked out the original price I can not tell you how much off you are getting.. . . and today was not a port day.  I suspect they were not getting enough business so they ran a special.  It was an extra flyer included in the Cruise Compass. 

• Like 1

The BeatleManiacs played in the Palladium Theatre last night.  They got rave reviews.  I am not a huge Beatles fan and they were on the last cruise so I missed it. [Also, we watched Virginia win the NCAA]

They are going to play again tonight in the Centrum for a Beatles Dance Party starting at 10:15

• Like 1

We will be glad to have a port day tomorrow in St Croix.  We plan to have a DIY excursion.  

We are going to Sand Castle on the Beach--$10 pp. It gets good reviews here on cruise critic.  I will let you know how it is.  We just want a simple day. So, I think this will be good.  It has a convenient beach access via the hotel; Beachfront and Courtyard pools; Pool decks for lounging and sunning, Tables, chairs, lounges and umbrellas, Outdoor showers; Restrooms and changing facilities; Wi-Fi access and a Beachside Café.

This location is supposed to be the quieter beach.  Rainbow Beach has the jet skids and water toys. 

Sounds good?  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

HLR--there was a spa special today for $149 for a head to toe treatment.  massage, facial, foot and ankle massage.  If you add hot stones or bamboo it is $20 more.  

Since I have not checked out the original price I can not tell you how much off you are getting.. . . and today was not a port day.  I suspect they were not getting enough business so they ran a special.  It was an extra flyer included in the Cruise Compass. 

Thanks! I'm waiting to see how much my heating bill has dropped since last month....bill comes in 2 days... and we'll see if I can splurge! I'm going to take a look on their site and see what I can compare to that. Thanks so much for looking...and finding about about the smoked salmon too!

I am enjoying following along as you have the time to relax and reply in real time to people since you are on a back to back.

Will be wondering who you are as I watch people debark on the 18th when I am getting on!

Howard

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We will be glad to have a port day tomorrow in St Croix.  We plan to have a DIY excursion.  

We are going to Sand Castle on the Beach--$10 pp. It gets good reviews here on cruise critic.  I will let you know how it is.  We just want a simple day. So, I think this will be good.  It has a convenient beach access via the hotel; Beachfront and Courtyard pools; Pool decks for lounging and sunning, Tables, chairs, lounges and umbrellas, Outdoor showers; Restrooms and changing facilities; Wi-Fi access and a Beachside Café.

This location is supposed to be the quieter beach.  Rainbow Beach has the jet skids and water toys. 

Sounds good?  Fingers crossed. 

Well when you travel you have to be flexible. We got to the shuttle stand to buy our ticket to go to Sandcastle this morning at 9:50. the ship was not cleared to go ashore until about 9:15. They had already sold out all their umbrellas and chairs. So here we are at Rainbow Beach. It has a restaurant they sell chairs and umbrellas our two loungers and umbrella for $30. That's a pretty good price.