Currently on Reflection - Great First 3 Days

GoodScout

Here's the latest update after we clicked off the three ABC (in our case, the order was ACB) islands. 

DAY 6 & 7  - ARUBA

We arrived at 4pm in Aruba. During the day, we spent a good bit of time on the pool deck and just relaxing. Bar service at the Pool Bar was excellent, and I discovered that the Mast Bar has St. Germain, so I could get my cocktail there. 

We just did lunch at the Oceanview,  which was uneventful but is never my favorite place to eat. 

We disembarked in Aruba and walked through some of the shops off the dock. I've never understood the propensity for folks to buy high-end items in the Caribbean, but I've been assured by my wife I don't know what I'm talking about, and given the number coming off ship to shop, I clearly was right. Part of the frenzy this afternoon was that tomorrow is a Sunday, and most stores in Aruba are closed. There was a huge stackup on Decks 2, 3 and even 4 as the masses lined up to disembark. Clearing the port took and extra 15 minutes, so some got a little impatient. 

After shopping for a little while, we took a cab 15 minutes north to Passions on the Beach, a great restaurant where the white-linen topped tables sit in the sand along the beach with tiki torches. You can sit and enjoy dinner and watch the sunset over the ocean. It's a great spot. The food is good but not Michelin star level, but you accept this knowing you're paying for the location, the view and the experience. The couple at the table next to us walked up to the shoreline with a photographer with then, and I started thinking "Great. One of those photographers that shoots you at dinners and tries to sell pictures! I have that on the ship! Our waitress then clued us in that the young man was about to propose to the young lady, and felt like an old coot. After we watched him talk to her, then get down on one knee in the sand, we all applauded as they slowly made their way back to their table, and we wished them congratulations. I thought the least the guy could have done was take his ball cap off during the proposal, but that's just the old coot in me talking. 

The next day we got out early (almost all of our starts were around 7am, which is getting tiring -- looking forward a little to those last 2 sea days). We decided that we would try and find a rental car rather than take a tour after our Cartagena experience. Fortunately there were two car rental companies just outside the gate fighting for our business. When one of them got down to $60 for the day and his competitor balked, we walked off, signed the paperwork and got on our way. We drove south first to Baby Beach at the island's southern end. We had heard the water was very smooth here (hence the name) and more locals than tourists. When we got there, it was OK but the seas weren't that calm, the bar seemed a tad too seedy, and after watching two locals dip their bare-naked toddlers butts into the water, we decided to reverse course and head north. We drove back through Oranjestad and then north past the miles of condos and resorts being built along Eagle and Palm beaches to the California lighthouse at the island's northern tip. For a mandatory $5 donation (lol) to the historic buildings fund, you climb the remarkably narrow, winding staircase to the top for the nice views and photos. 

We ended up at Arashi beach, which was a little crowded and noisy, but not too bad. Rental for two chairs and an umbrella was a rather high $40, but we did it with no regrets. The restaurant there is rather mediocre, and even the chair-rental guy said we'd be better off driving the four minutes back to the lighthouse, where the restaurant there was better. 

Made the ship and guess what? We actually ate at the MDR

We walked in at 8:30p and asked for a table for 2, and had no trouble getting one. Our waiter was very nice, and was sort of flying blind because he hadn't met us yet this trip. I had duck consumme and duck for dinner (yeah, I'm odd). My wife had a eggplant parm appetizer and a steak for dinner and said both were excellent. We were seated right next to the service station, and studied how the staff brought dishes out from the kitchen and prepared them for table delivery. I was a little surprised they used the same area for setting up fresh food and bussing dishes, but since they did both atop trays I guess it's OK. At my B&B, we have designated sides of the kitchen for food prep and another for bussed dishes and dishwashing, and never the twain shall met. We did notice one faux pax where an  assistant dropped pulled out a fresh fork from a drawer, dropped it on the floor, and then returned it to the drawer. Needless to say, my wife's eyes widened and we were glad that fork didn't end up with our desserts. 

DAY 8 - CURACAO

We were back on a organized tour we'd booked outside of the ship. This was a winner. Irie Tours is definitely a great organizer, and their people are completely super. We booked the West Side Sights and Beach tour, 6 hours of adventure for just $65 each. We drove around with our hysterically funny guide Eddie pointing out historic signs and telling us about life on the island. He introduced us to the concept of "Dushi,"  a local word with tons of meanings including "cool," "sweet," "sexy," "nice." He told us all toward the end of the day that we weren't just "dushi," but "super-dushi," fully self-aware that this Caracao compliment had a different meaning off the island. We visited the national park and saw some amazing cliffs and car formations three beaches, each better than the last. At one stop, we had the option of jumping off a 40-foot cliff into the water -- needless to say none of us tried it out. After our tour ended, we walked around Wilemstad, checked out the shops, walked across the historic floating pontoon bridge and had a beer along the canal. Can recommend all the activity. 

One of the more interesting sidelights to our visit, and one you might encounter if you visit the ABCs, was the arrival of the MV Freewinds, a Scientology cruise ship used for retreats for their highest-level members. We never saw anyone get on or off the ship after it docked, and only saw two very obvious Scientology plainclothes security people at the end of the dock watching everyone go by. Very creepy. The ABC islands all have good relationship with the Church of Scientology, as the ship apparently hosts fundraisers when it visits the ports at times during the years. 

Since we had a ton of shows to go see after returning to the ship (magician, singer, silent disco) we only had a 30-minute window for dinner and went to the Oceanview again. It was at this meal that I decided Reflection's real problem when it comes to their restaurants and dining services is the Restaurant Manager of Equinox. I can't remember his name, but he did such a good job delivering top-notch food and over-the-top service, that there's apparently no way Reflections' team can meet the expectations Equinox set for us. The only conclusion is that Equinox will have to take it down several notches. Aside from the food at Oceanview being mediocre, my wife and I sat at our table for 20 minutes with no one coming to ask if we wanted anything to drink. I finally had to walk all the way around to the bar, wait behind two people just to get a pair of sodas. And asking for a straw was a major production. I left wishing I could wake up the next morning back on Equinox and enjoying their hot room service breakfast again. 

DAY 9 - BONAIRE

Another beautiful island and another 7am arrival. We had booked golf carts from Bonaire Cruisers, and I'm convinced this is the best way to see the island. We could have circled the entire island during our stay (we left at the surprisingly early 2:30pm). Instead, we beat the crowds to the south end of the island, got to see (and pet) wild donkeys, saw hundreds of flamingoes, toured the slave huts, and watch kite- and wind-surfers along the shore. We doubled back and ended up just north of downtown at Coco Beach, which was small but plenty enough for us, with some nice snorkeling. For $40, we got our own private cabana for two and some cold waters and fresh-cut fruit. We also had lunch at the restaurant there, which was not bad but not outstanding.

Returning by 2:30 allowed us to get some pool deck time, and our evening plans includes another stab at the MDR and some shows. Our last two days will be sea days, which will allow us to sleep late and do a little relaxing before returning to FLL on Friday morning. 

As usual, a few observations and tips: 

• Always, always get cash at the ATM on the ship. The day were were in Aruba the international connections were down, and no ATMs on the island were able to verify US accounts and issue cash. 
  • We did the baggage transfer to the airport at FLL. We'll see how that works. 
  • Silent Disco is always a scream. If you miss this during your trip, you've missed the most enjoyable part of the journey.
  • Much, much fewer production shows on this Reflection sailing than our November trip on Equinox. I don't know if it's because they've changed casts and they haven't had time to bring them on line, or that this ship's cruise director prefers singers and comedians to stage shows. Maybe Celebrity is stepping back it's larger productions with American Ballet Theatre coming online later this year? 
  • Going to switch our 20th anniversary 2020 cruise from Australia-Tahiti-Hawaii to Europe while on board. Will see what kind of deals we can work out, if any. 
  • More feedback on the Dora tour in Cartagena: If you can book here first group, do it. It's run by Dora herself, and I'm sure she makes sure everything's perfect. Group 2 is run by her No. 2 person. By the time we got shuffled into Group 5, we had her 5th weakest guide. If you can't get the real thing, pass. 
  • Hot tubs are very crowded this sailing. I know they always are, but I've seen a couple with 7 (!) people jammed into them. Yikes!
  • Manager at Cafe al Bacio is the hardest working person on this ship. She's here at 7 in the morning to open it up, and I still see her here at 10 at night!
  • If you're a morning person, get up at 4:45 in the morning like I did the other day. Sit in the Library in a seat overlooking the atrium. It's perfectly silent, and you can slowly watch the ship come to life. It's fascinating. 
  • If you've ever been curious, the elevators after several hours of nonuse park themselves on Deck 14. Don't know why. Came out that early morning to see every one of them sitting there.
  • Eddie the cruise director is definitely a music lover. In addition to a 30-minute show on the closed circuit each day about music, he's done a really good job making sure the artists on this ship are great. This is one of the few areas where I think Reflection outshone Equinox. If you're a music person, this is your ship. 

Well, off to the MDR. More later. Including those promised pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you're having a great time on the Reflection.  We did the 14 day in January and agree with you on several points.  We loved the music variety that Eddie (CD) arranged, and thus didn't really miss having only a couple production shows.  We eat all breakfasts in the MDR and enjoyed many hot omelets and other egg dishes without having to line up or look for seats.  Much more civilized than Oceanview.  We had major problems with Select Dining on this ship, due to the way they handle reservations and the lineups...the hostess at the front podium was terrible at her job..enough said.

We've done Cartagena on a previous cruise and actually had Dora as our leader and she was great.  Very hot day but no issues with transportation or timing of attractions.  Good advice to try and get her.

We did a ships tour in Aruba which wasn't good but did find that of the three ABC's it was the most expensive island for purchases.  Our second day we went to Eagle beach and paid $40 for two chairs and an umbrella also, thought we'd gotten ripped off but after taking a walk along the beach any of the other vendors were charging that much or more...we felt better lol.

We had great weather this cruise and enjoyed the ship although I think we'll stick to the other S class in the future, Reflection just seemed much more busy and crowded in all the venues and the crew was stretched. 

Enjoy your two sea days, a very nice way to end a pretty port intensive itinerary!

On 4/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, GoodScout said:

Time changes are maddening for people with Apple Watches and iPhones. They pick up time settings from the local cell network, so if you're onboard on a sea day or in a town where you don't have AT&T Cruise service, you have to go through the difficulty of manually changing it. On the morning of time changes I wake up in my room never knowing the real time. 

On your iPhone: Settings / General / Date & Time.  Turn off Set Automatically.  Then set the local time as necessary.

The Apple Watch, I suspect, will pick these changes up from the iPhone.

Thank you for the excellent review of the ABC islands!  We're hoping to go there soon!  And I totally agree with Cartagena - we had Dora and she was excellent, but the vendors were atrocious!  My husband literally had to walk in front of me to keep them away and they would still run up and stop in front of him, running into him on purpose!  Hold on to your wallets!  Dora said that many of them were from Venezuela, escaping the horrible conditions there.

• Thanks 1

Really enjoying your review, Good Scout!  Love your quick and simple observations and tips.....I'm sure I will implement a couple of them on my next cruise!   Also appreciate your opinion on the golf cart tour in Bonaire.  Recently booked a golf cart for our stop in Bonaire but still flip-flopping between keeping that rental or cancelling and booking Woodwind Snorkelling which also gets great reviews.  So it was good to hear your comments on how much you enjoyed it!  Thank you  ☺️

11 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Really enjoying your review, Good Scout!  Love your quick and simple observations and tips.....I'm sure I will implement a couple of them on my next cruise!   Also appreciate your opinion on the golf cart tour in Bonaire.  Recently booked a golf cart for our stop in Bonaire but still flip-flopping between keeping that rental or cancelling and booking Woodwind Snorkelling which also gets great reviews.  So it was good to hear your comments on how much you enjoyed it!  Thank you  ☺️

I would do either the snorkeling tour or the golf carts. Now that we've done the latter, next time we would do the former. 

The offshore snorkeling is a little better on the southern (unpopulated) beaches, but to see the really good reefs you really need someone on a boat to take you offshore. 

DAY 10 - AT SEA

Wasted day? You be the judge. 

Woke up late (no 7am arrivals!) but woke up tired. Couldn't decide if it was just because I didn't sleep well or the change in wake cycle. In either case, I wanted to do breakfast at the MDR but wife didn't want to get too dressed up, and wanted to get quickly to pool deck, so we did my dreaded Oceanview buffet. 

We lounged at the pool all morning, with me avoiding the sun since I've wisely recognized any additional sun will turn me from "you-got-some-sun-on-vacation" to "man-you-look-like a-lobster." After a relaxing morning watching the sea go by and listening to books on tape, we grabbed a quick lunch. My wife wanted some sun, so I stayed in the room and grabbed a quick nap. Actually, it ended up being a three-hour nap!

When she returned, we sat on our balcony for a while, and had a good chat about our 20th Anniversary trip next April. We wanted to rack up some more Celebrity points with a European tour, but with Apex and Edge doing the heavy lifting over there, Celebrity has raised the prices so high that we might as well organize a trip ourselves. That devolved into a discussion about Eurorails and shlepping luggage everywhere, so after a while we decided to stop thinking about future vacations and just enjoy the one we were on. 

Unfortunately for me, my wife wanted to avoid the last formal night and stay in the room. I had been in the room all afternoon, but was the good husband, and went down to order and pick up sushi on five and return to the room. I felt like I missed a lot of opportunities today, and with tomorrow our last day on the ship, I'm going to be up early to try and soak in the last days' activities. 

With a lazy day, I have few observations:

• Learned that one of the nicknames staff give cruisers who just stand in the middle of the aisle ways, elevator doors or slowly waddle by holding up those behind them is "traffic cone." Don't be a traffic cone. 
  • I'm now convinced checking Celebrity's site for how many rooms are available is a waste. They clearly have not sold as many rooms for next summer on Edge and Apex as they're saying. This ship showed completely full online just weeks before the sailing, but it's not full. 
  • Interesting to me how closely we sail to the Cuban coast. I remember the days when ships would avoid it for fear of running into lots of people sailing out hoping to climb on.
  • Amazingly calm seas this trip. Even in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, we've had no more than 2-3 foot waves.
  • Still trying to figure out something to do in Fort Lauderdale from 9am to 3pm while we wait for our flight. Too short a window for a long excursion or a trip to the beach. Any ideas?

We had a six hour wait for our flight in Miami and checked into a hotel day room near the airport. We enjoyed some time at the pool. Had a relaxed lunch. Showered and got ready for our overnight flight home. Hotel offered a free shuttle to the airport which we missed lol but they very kindly called a taxi and paid for it. 

On 4/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, Pastordonna said:

How is the library.  We always bring a couple of extra books to exchange ... on the last few RC cruises books were pratically non-existant.

Very limited selection. Kinda used as a take-on, leave-on library. Darren brought a copy of his novel published five years ago to leave behind for guests. 

On 4/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, GoodScout said:

Internet service on Reflection is much slower/weaker than Equinox. We're going to have to go to Guest Relations and make them reverse our charges down to the lower-speed package, because the higher-speed streaming service just isn't what's promised. 

Did you change to the lower cost internet package (Surf Internet Package) ?  We will be on the Reflection in August and only need internet to check our business website, email and make wifi calls on the IPhone.  We don't need to stream sites like Netflex, etc...  Can you shed any light on the internet .  Enjoy the rest of you cruise.  I am enjoying your review.

Thanks

Edited by Boscodog

We just disembarked from the Edge on April 7.  We were at terminal 25.   Don't bother with the Mobile Pass.   We walked right thru as they used face recognition and didn’t have to go thru any other custom line.  The only road block was the idiot that was telling  everyone to go to the right directing them to the elevators.  Don’t listen to him and proceed forward or left onto the escalators (unless you really need the elevator)q.  The only real complaint is the long walk going from one end to the other many times.   It is like walking in circles for no reason except for the exercise and possibly crowd control that isn’t needed.   It is ridiculous to have to walk as far to the left as possible just to have to walk back to the right when there could have been a doorway to let you out or thru to the area you need.  

It was was still  the quickest disembarkation ever.   I think declaring stuff is on your honor.   We didn’t have anything to declare so we didn’t worry about getting caught.  

Thanks for taking the time to give your experience on the Reflection as we will be on it next year for 21 days doing. B2B.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 4/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, Texed said:

Too bad I wasn't there.  That maple syrup goes great with Celebrity waffles.  😋

Go to Costco and get their Kirkland Maple Syrup (organic)  It is the same stuff. We were in Quebec and bought some there.   Got home and seen it wasn’t any different only cheaper in price.    Read the label.   It is pure maple syrup.  

I use it sometimes as a sweetener for making drinks like Old Fashions,  Sazaracs, Mojitos and etc.   In Canada they use it instead of sugar and sell it in gallon containers.  They also have different grades like amber, dark and etc.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Go to Costco and get their Kirkland Maple Syrup (organic)  It is the same stuff. We were in Quebec and bought some there.   Got home and seen it wasn’t any different only cheaper in price.    Read the label.   It is pure maple syrup.  

I use it sometimes as a sweetener for making drinks like Old Fashions,  Sazaracs, Mojitos and etc.   In Canada they use it instead of sugar and sell it in gallon containers.  They also have different grades like amber, dark and etc.  

I know you want it for using while on board for all the waffles you could consume.  😀.  My son’s friend is a maple syrup snob and carries his own bottle into restaurants so I can understand your passion and obsession. 

I am a bourbon snob and take my own bottle into bars and also sneak it on board.   It has become a challenge to me and so far I have been successful.   I always have the premium pack but I just love the challenge.  Eventually it may cost me many dollars but I if  am going destroy my brain cells I want to do it with premium spirits and not the stuff they  now claim as premium.   They use to have  Bookers, Bakers, Blanton's, and Knob Creek.   They still offer  Makers,  Bulleit,  Woodford Reserve and Woodford Double Oak not rot gut and still decent.   I like Elijah Craig 23 year old and there is nothing better than enjoying it neat on the balcony late at night or early in the morning relaxing on the balcony. So I will keep smuggling it on until they catch me.   Don’t ask as I will never reveal my method for obvious reasons and I doubt that they ever will catch me.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I know you want it for using while on board for all the waffles you could consume.  😀.  My son’s friend is a maple syrup snob and carries his own bottle into restaurants so I can understand your passion and obsession. 

I am a bourbon snob and take my own bottle into bars and also sneak it on board.   It has become a challenge to me and so far I have been successful.   I always have the premium pack but I just love the challenge.  Eventually it may cost me many dollars but I if  am going destroy my brain cells I want to do it with premium spirits and not the stuff they  now claim as premium.   They use to have  Bookers, Bakers, Blanton's, and Knob Creek.   They still offer  Makers,  Bulleit,  Woodford Reserve and Woodford Double Oak not rot gut and still decent.   I like Elijah Craig 23 year old and there is nothing better than enjoying it neat on the balcony late at night or early in the morning relaxing on the balcony. So I will keep smuggling it on until they catch me.   Don’t ask as I will never reveal my method for obvious reasons and I doubt that they ever will catch me.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7 hours ago, GoodScout said:

Very limited selection. Kinda used as a take-on, leave-on library. Darren brought a copy of his novel published five years ago to leave behind for guests. 

Thanks ... I will take a few that I can pack in suitcase.