Taking a Newbie on a cruise - some questions

nicoleinwi

DH & I have cruised many times on NCL but we are going with his parents (68 & 70) who have never been on a cruise.  We'll be cruising on the Bliss in Alaska.  There are some questions they have, where DH & I never had to be concerned with it before: 

We always carry our luggage off the ship ourselves.  We do the stairs as elevators seem too much of a pain on disembarkation day.  His parents will not be able to handle their suitcases going down the stairs to disembark.  Yet, if they put luggage out the night before, the stuff they'd pack in their carry on bag would have to be rearranged into their checked bags once they picked up their luggage inside the terminal, so it seems like a pain to do that.  Are elevators open to guests with luggage to disembark?

MIL drinks hot tea.  They will not have a drink package.  Is tea available in the MDR and buffet?

We have balcony rooms next to each other.  Do I put in a request beforehand to have the divider removed?  Or is that something I ask our stateroom attendant to do?

Both MIL & FIL can't have alcohol, so I'm assuming I would have to put in a request for meals so theirs is not cooked in any alcohol.  I assume call up before?  Or go to MDR on embarkation day?  Once they have the note in the system, how do they actually know your dietary restrictions because you don't show your waiter your card to scan?  Are you telling them each time?  If it helps we'd likely prebook dining times once that opens up.  

Embarkation day we always do buffet.  However, it only seems relaxing when we board really early before the masses of people. Are there any other complimentary restaurants open on embarkation day for lunch? I think a restaurant might be more relaxing.  But we enjoy the complimentary food and don't go to paid restaurants.  

Thank you in advance, and any other tips for a first timer would be appreciated.  We can't remember our first time cruising and the things we learned.  And, when we are planning the trip to include others we want to make sure their experience is great.  

8 minutes ago, nicoleinwi said:

We have balcony rooms next to each other.  Do I put in a request beforehand to have the divider removed?  Or is that something I ask our stateroom attendant to do?

NCL policy is that balcony partitions are to only be opened for maintenance or emergency. The steward might do it with the expectation of a tip but it against NCL policy and the partition might be shut again the next day. 

• Like 2

I hope you have a wonderful time in Alaska!

Now....

elevators are available to bring your own luggage down

tea is available in all dining venues, as well as in your room

balcony dividers may not be removed 

Call NCL to note dietary restrictions and ask how it is tracked at restaurants 

ome of the MDRs will be open for lunch after embarking 

also...

bring magnets to post dailies on your cabin walls

highlighter to use on dailies

maybe have a lanyard to carry keycard

I hope this helps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jembeccatoo said:

maybe have a lanyard to carry keycard

Thanks for the tip for a seasoned cruiser!  Usually we cruise in warm weather climate and the shorts I usually am in during the day on the ship (under armour style athletic shorts) don't have pockets that I feel secure carrying around card.  So I always leave mine in the room or make DH carry it.  Don't know why I never thought of that! I mean in thinking about it, I saw other people with it.  I probably at the time thought a great idea but I didn't want the standard logo one they sold in the gift shop. Now I will put in on my list to find one before our next cruise. 

Edited by nicoleinwi

As far as alcohol used in the food - probably the worst thing you would find would be sauces made with wine reductions  - usually all the alcohol is cooked off in the process of making the sauce.

All of the other info you have been given is very spot on.

Enjoy your cruise 

If they like tea which actually tastes of something then I’d suggest they bring some teabags on with them.

my wife has been doing that for some time now. Apparently the standard teabags they offer just turn the water a different colour whilst barely affecting the taste.

12 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

DH & I have cruised many times on NCL but we are going with his parents (68 & 70) who have never been on a cruise.  We'll be cruising on the Bliss in Alaska.  There are some questions they have, where DH & I never had to be concerned with it before: 

We always carry our luggage off the ship ourselves.  We do the stairs as elevators seem too much of a pain on disembarkation day.  His parents will not be able to handle their suitcases going down the stairs to disembark.  Yet, if they put luggage out the night before, the stuff they'd pack in their carry on bag would have to be rearranged into their checked bags once they picked up their luggage inside the terminal, so it seems like a pain to do that.  Are elevators open to guests with luggage to disembark?

MIL drinks hot tea.  They will not have a drink package.  Is tea available in the MDR and buffet?

Both MIL & FIL can't have alcohol, so I'm assuming I would have to put in a request for meals so theirs is not cooked in any alcohol.  I assume call up before?  Or go to MDR on embarkation day?  Once they have the note in the system, how do they actually know your dietary restrictions because you don't show your waiter your card to scan?  Are you telling them each time?  If it helps we'd likely prebook dining times once that opens up.  

Embarkation day we always do buffet.  However, it only seems relaxing when we board really early before the masses of people. Are there any other complimentary restaurants open on embarkation day for lunch? I think a restaurant might be more relaxing.  But we enjoy the complimentary food and don't go to paid restaurants.  

Thank you in advance, and any other tips for a first timer would be appreciated.  We can't remember our first time cruising and the things we learned.  And, when we are planning the trip to include others we want to make sure their experience is great.  

I hope they have a good cruise experience. I am sure with caring kids they will

luggage: can't answer but would suggest they do the checked baggage. I don't understand why they would have to re-organize when they get through debarkation. We always do the traditional luggage handling. I think walk off would be way to complicated for older people cruising for the first time.

Balcony: not all ships have dividers but if the Bliss does, yes, request the divider be removed before you even board.

Alcohol and food: like any other limitations, it is a good idea to call ahead and request no food be served with alcohol in the cooking procedure even though with cooking the alcohol is cooked out of foods. 

Yes tea is available

We always eat at O'SHeehan's the first lunch, but usually one MDR is available. 

• Like 1

For anyone who doesn't know what number to call, all NCL departments are listed at the bottom of the NCL website, but you do have to search!   

For the OP, if you haven't found what others have referred to, here is more info!

Guests with Special Needs

A dedicated accessibility coordinator is available to assist guest with special needs, such as Mobility, Dietary, Deaf or Low Hearing, Blind or Low Vision, Service Animal.

• Phone1.866.584.9756
  • Hours of Operation
    • Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:30pm ET
  • Like 1

Our last time on the Jade there were quite a few desserts in the buffet that

had liquor in them. It was clearly stated on the sign above the dessert but

I would mention this to them.Most things that are cooked with a wine sauce

for example the alcohol will have been cooked off. Not so with most desserts.

• Like 1