Sushi at the World Cafe?

zitsky

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sounds like a good idea if fresh.  Do they provide all the usual things, chopsticks, soy sauce, wasabi, ginger?  Or is that expecting too much?

I think I saw nets so I'm sure it's fresh!  Probably expecting too much but I don't partake.  No thumb twiddling for you I see.

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Note that the dead fish is only on one side of the world cafe not on both.  Same with gelato.  WC is asymmetrical.  

Dead fish?  So you don't grab them out of a tank?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Sounds like a good idea if fresh.  Do they provide all the usual things, chopsticks, soy sauce, wasabi, ginger?  Or is that expecting too much?

They also had another sauce, spicy but creamy, like a siracha aoli. I don't know what it was really called, but I liked it very much. We liked the sushi in general, and had some whenever we had dinner in the World Cafe.  Sometimes, even if we were eating elsewhere later in the evening, we would stop there early for an appetizer of sushi. Except when we had gone to the Wintergarden for afternoon tea!

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Is there any vegetarian sushi?

There is almost always tuna sashimi, which is surprisingly good. A few types of nigiri - tuna, shrimp, salmon, and several maki rolls, which I think are all vegetarian, although I've never had one.  Nice seaweed salad also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Is there any vegetarian sushi?

Oooh, now there's a question that begs to be asked on a live thread. Wish there was one going currently so that we could get an answer. I can't remember.  I will have to remember to take a picture of the sushi bar.

I was thinking that maybe we should start a thread for questions that would best be answered by people who are currently on board, but then I couldn't figure out what to title it that would not take five lines of title to make it clear to everybody what the thread was about, you know, avoiding jargon and shorthand.

In the meantime, maybe there is someone who is currently on board and keeping up with CC who will answer.

• Like 1

I was on a TA in 2018 and a second in 2019. 

Both times the sushi/sashimi was excellent and they have all the accoutrements, including chopsticks.

For 2019, they expanded the choices each night. At least 3-4 sashimi choices (always included tuna and salmon if I recall correctly). Typically at least 4 sushi roll choices and there was always a California roll (vegetarian) plus most nights they had spicy tuna rolls.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would make you a special roll if you asked---but I was always pleased with what was on offer.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Oooh, now there's a question that begs to be asked on a live thread. Wish there was one going currently so that we could get an answer. I can't remember.  I will have to remember to take a picture of the sushi bar.

I was thinking that maybe we should start a thread for questions that would best be answered by people who are currently on board, but then I couldn't figure out what to title it that would not take five lines of title to make it clear to everybody what the thread was about, you know, avoiding jargon and shorthand.

In the meantime, maybe there is someone who is currently on board and keeping up with CC who will answer.

There is a current live thread:

On Sea now, any questions?

•  

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

We were on the SEA last February and enjoy sushi a lot.  We had it pretty much every evening, often just for appetizers with wine at 6:00 PM in the World Cafe, and then came back for dinner later in the evening.

I did notice that they have expanded this year to have more variety in the sushi - all fresh and delightful!  The salmon was particularly buttery!    We enjoyed most the sashimi (no rice), but there were quite a few sushi choices as well.  I remember spicy rolls, California rolls, Octopus, Shrimp, maguro, white/butterfish, salmon, and others.  Can't recall any vegetarian sushi though.

All quite delicious.  And the sushi section is only on the port side (also known as the gelato side) - versus the starboard side (known as the pizza side).   Some pics I took.  Will have to take some of the setup soon as we are boarding the Jupiter soon.200193002_IMG_0837WorldCafeSushiAppetizers.jpg.a5d463b442623ec664b6fd230c33ac5c.jpgIMG_1240.jpg.58a3555afdcd48775daa6a3d7a476413.jpg

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Aboard Sea now.  When sushi was available, there was always at least one and usually two vegetarian rolls. Please not that according to John the Scot (The Restaurant Manager) they do not have the cold seafood/sushi bar when it’s a special night in the cafe-Greek night, Indian Night, etc.  

In addition to tuna, butterfish, & swordfish they also had scallop sashimi this trip which wasn’t available on our last. Also, despite our continued notes on the comment card, no sushi is offered at lunch, though we did chow down when it was on the special Winter Garden Brunch last Sunday which also included caviar (pic 1 below). The second picture is of the sushi station in the cafe one night last week. 

F2437834-F17C-4E45-85A0-50B295FF5A72.jpeg

B2DA15FF-4C39-4961-8A27-DB093128C275.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Aboard Sea now.  When sushi was available, there was always at least one and usually two vegetarian rolls. Please not that according to John the Scot (The Restaurant Manager) they do not have the cold seafood/sushi bar when it’s a special night in the cafe-Greek night, Indian Night, etc.  

In addition to tuna, butterfish, & swordfish they also had scallop sashimi this trip which wasn’t available on our last. Also, despite our continued notes on the comment card, no sushi is offered at lunch, though we did chow down when it was on the special Winter Garden Brunch last Sunday which also included caviar (pic 1 below). The second picture is of the sushi station in the cafe one night last week. 

Great pics!  Looks so familiar!  We were on the Sea and they had sushi every single night - even for the special nights (Greek, Indian, Italian, etc) that were held on Aquavit Terrace.

Enjoyed that you could get a bowl of soy sauce and whatever wasabi you wanted.  Thanks for the reminder that we also had quite often some quite delicious Scallop sashimi.   Along with the sushi bar was a bowl/platter of cooked (non-breaded) shrimp (and cocktail sauce/lemons), as well as lobster claws and sometimes other fish (cold).    Could have eaten them all evening long, but there were so many other good choices for dinner, and then of course, the gelato!

• Like 1