Brisbane International Cruise Terminal Not Finished On Time?

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The location for the new terminal was chosen as an ideal place for larger cruise ships to dock. It is at the mouth of the river in a location that is wide enough for them to turn. Not far past this area, the river becomes too narrow for large ships to turn. Then there is the Gateway Bridge that restricts the size of ships that can pass up the river.

This rather remote location is great for the ships, but it makes regular public transport unfeasible. It is one hour by cruise ship from Portside, near where the last CityCat stop (Bretts Wharf) is. Even if the ferry could travel the distance in (say) 40 minutes that is a lot of extra time out of a visitor's day. Add that 40 minutes to the scheduled time from Bretts Wharf to the city. That is probably another 40 minutes or more. I don't think the number of passengers wanting to travel on the CityCat would warrant a special service.

There would be no reason to have public buses running to the new terminal because there is nothing else in the area for them to service. It is most likely that a shuttle bus would operate to the city. This is what happens from the Grain Terminal (across the river from the new terminal).  That would be a faster trip to the city for passengers rather than a public bus that stops continually.

Not a great comparison. Most large terminals overseas have better connections than buses, especially where many need to be moved.

That location is why the cruise terminal was determined there, but again good connections would provision better scalable solutions. As just a couple of examples, there is both a heavy rail network with Doomben not that far off, and similarly the air train was built for the airport which is obviously close by. No need to restrict a vision to have everything road based, which is only suited to low volumes of traffic.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Not a great comparison. Most large terminals overseas have better connections than buses, especially where many need to be moved.

That location is why the cruise terminal was determined there, but again good connections would provision better scalable solutions. As just a couple of examples, there is both a heavy rail network with Doomben not that far off, and similarly the air train was built for the airport which is obviously close by. No need to restrict a vision to have everything road based, which is only suited to low volumes of traffic.

By necessity of geography, the terminal is being built in an area remote from residential and commercial development. I think this would mean that the State government wouldn't commit the money needed to extend the railway to the mouth of the river.

The airtrain is a good example. Even though it has many thousands of potential passengers every day, it has not attracted enough custom. There have been several reports it has been losing money. I don't think a company would build a railway to the new terminal when it would only be used for a maximum of 8 or so hours a day a few days a week when a ship was in port.

As SinbadThe Porter said, I think transport will be by bus and taxi.

53 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

On turnaround days the busiest place will be he airport. Like Fort Lauderdale, where the airport is just over the road  , passengers will fly in from Interstate and International on embarkation day .

Unfortunately, the cruise terminal is on the opposite side of the runways to the airport terminals so you have to go around the entire airport the long way, probably 8 or 9 km.

Technically there is a bus service with a stop about 300m from the new cruise terminal. The 303 bus runs between Doomben station and Myrtletown, but only Monday to Friday.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

12 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Unfortunately, the cruise terminal is on the opposite side of the runways to the airport terminals so you have to go around the entire airport the long way, probably 8 or 9 km.

Technically there is a bus service with a stop about 300m from the new cruise terminal. The 303 bus runs between Doomben station and Myrtletown, but only Monday to Friday. From Doomben to Myrtletown in the morning and Myrtletown to Doomben in the afternoons. It seems to be set up for a school run.

Portside is much closer to the airport terminals than the new terminal will be. Looking at a map, I estimate the new terminal site is more than 20km from the domestic terminal.

37 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Portside is much closer to the airport terminals than the new terminal will be. Looking at a map, I estimate the new terminal site is more than 20km from the domestic terminal.

It's around 15KM whereas Portside is 10KM however they have very similar travel time from google maps only 2 (15 vs 17) minutes longer due to amount of traffic on the road.

They should Probably run buses to and from the Airport and to the Portside precinct due them being public transport "hubs".

Edited by DDG 41

6 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

It's around 15KM whereas Portside is 10KM however they have very similar travel time from google maps only 2 (15 vs 17) minutes longer due to amount of traffic on the road.

Via Lomandra drive it would be shorter (as you say) than via the Gateway Motorway.

I do think that when the time comes for the BICT to run, all these factors will be catered for. It’s all been thought of before now!!

I say let’s leave it to them, it will happen, if not before, then definitely soon after opening. We are Aussies after all 👍

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I do think that when the time comes for the BICT to run, all these factors will be catered for. It’s all been thought of before now!!

I say let’s leave it to them, it will happen, if not before, then definitely soon after opening. We are Aussies after all 👍

We can always complain later if things that were proposed here are not implemented.

31 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We can always complain later if things that were proposed here are not implemented.

Haha - absolutely-  isn’t that what it’s all about - Critics 🧐

Give us a week we’ll fix the world ....... (on this forum of course 😉)

44 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Haha - absolutely-  isn’t that what it’s all about - Critics 🧐

Give us a week we’ll fix the world ....... (on this forum of course 😉)

Yep, we all know better, especially after the fact.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

By necessity of geography, the terminal is being built in an area remote from residential and commercial development. I think this would mean that the State government wouldn't commit the money needed to extend the railway to the mouth of the river.

The airtrain is a good example. Even though it has many thousands of potential passengers every day, it has not attracted enough custom. There have been several reports it has been losing money. I don't think a company would build a railway to the new terminal when it would only be used for a maximum of 8 or so hours a day a few days a week when a ship was in port.

As SinbadThe Porter said, I think transport will be by bus and taxi.

Which goes back to my original point.

9 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Which means our track record isn't good. 

Look at two recent pieces of relevant infrastructure. White Bay. No public transport built. Private operator finally decided to come in for opportunity, but had a hard time of it, with result not great.

Sydney 2nd airport. No public transport planned for opening. After public and expert criticism, government agreed to build something.

And now strike 3...

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Which means our track record isn't good. 

And now strike 3...

Ohhh - you are a glass half empty type of guy aren’t you  😉

White Bay - people do seem to get to and from White Bay without any problem. In fact it doesn’t seem much different there than at Circular Quay OPT.  Just not as iconic of course. 

The second Sydney Airport -  You know it will; and was always going to; have public transport. Politics aside.

Have a great day Big M 🙋‍♀️

Rose 🌹

Before we get our knickers in a knot about public transport to the new terminal, I think we should consider how many people would use it. For embarkation/disembarkation, it wouldn't be very easy to take luggage on a public (suburban) bus and it would be a slow busride (like a 'slow boat') to the terminal. This type of public transport would typically run from the city to the end of the route. I see it more likely that a private company will offer a transfer by bus from the airport.

There might be a bit more interest by pax on a ship's day visit to Brisbane. Once again, to use a public bus service rather than a transfer, the passengers might pay a few dollars less, but they would be sitting in the bus for a long time to get to the city.

I still believe the best options will be bus transfers, taxis and private cars as happens now from the Grain Terminal.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I still believe the best options will be bus transfers, taxis and private cars as happens now from the Grain Terminal.

I agree, but for any budding entrepreneurs out there, how about hiring a Citycat on the weekends to take people direct from the cruise terminal to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary?

That always seems to be one of the most common questions for Brisbane cruise tourists, "How do I get to Lone Pine without a hassle?".

There could be a stop on the way for those who want to visit the CBD and South Bank.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I agree, but for any budding entrepreneurs out there, how about hiring a Citycat on the weekends to take people direct from the cruise terminal to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary?

That always seems to be one of the most common questions for Brisbane cruise tourists, "How do I get to Lone Pine without a hassle?".

There could be a stop on the way for those who want to visit the CBD and South Bank.

That would be a beautiful shore excursion. As you suggest, maybe with a stop at South Bank, then on to Lone Pine where passengers would buy their own lunch and enjoy the wildlife. I could be tempted to take it myself. 🙂

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

great idea, surely Sinbad the Porter could become a weekend sailor.

9 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Ohhh - you are a glass half empty type of guy aren’t you  😉

White Bay - people do seem to get to and from White Bay without any problem. In fact it doesn’t seem much different there than at Circular Quay OPT.  Just not as iconic of course. 

The second Sydney Airport -  You know it will; and was always going to; have public transport. Politics aside.

Have a great day Big M 🙋‍♀️

Rose 🌹

Just realistic. Today's news is how the required public transport upgrade conditional for WestConnex is not being fulfilled in the apparent near future, even though WestConnex is to complete in a few months.

As for White bay, sure it's reachable but there have been a fair number of complaints here about the lack of accessibility, such that a number of members here even call it "White Elephant" (for a number of reasons, not just that).

And the second airport, no, that was the issue, no PT to be part of the implementation.

But hope you have a good day, perhaps PT free. :-)