Restaurant Reservations for 3

Nyctor118

On an upcoming cruise , I have the three night Specialty dining package.

When I try to book meal times in advance, the system only gives table sizes for most restaurants

in even number sizes, but we have three people in our cabin.  

When I phoned Norwegian's reservation system, they said that if I want to book a table for three

in advance then I would have to book and pay for four, and that if I only want to pay for three I shouldn't 

book any restaurants in advance and wait until I'm on board on embarkation day.  However, they said

that they couldn't guarantee what days, times, or restaurants would still be available then.  

If a table for four is available, why wouldn't it be available for three?  

5 minutes ago, Nyctor118 said:

On an upcoming cruise , I have the three night Specialty dining package.

When I try to book meal times in advance, the system only gives table sizes for most restaurants

in even number sizes, but we have three people in our cabin.  

When I phoned Norwegian's reservation system, they said that if I want to book a table for three

in advance then I would have to book and pay for four, and that if I only want to pay for three I shouldn't 

book any restaurants in advance and wait until I'm on board on embarkation day.  However, they said

that they couldn't guarantee what days, times, or restaurants would still be available then.  

If a table for four is available, why wouldn't it be available for three?  

Just book a table for 4. You are never charged in advance for a la carte restaurants. 

Book any fixed priced restaurants first to avoid charges. This include Moderno and Teppanyaki. 

Thanks.  I'll try that.  The reservation agent was very rude and insisted that the

only way to get a reservation for three, before sailing,  was to book for four.  AND, 

she was insistant that if I booked for four I would be charged for four.  I don't

understand why the system only offers seats in even numbers.

Anyway, I just went on and booked tables for four, and I will confirm on the 

ship that we are only three.

8 minutes ago, Nyctor118 said:

Thanks.  I'll try that.  The reservation agent was very rude and insisted that the

only way to get a reservation for three, before sailing,  was to book for four.  AND, 

she was insistant that if I booked for four I would be charged for four.  I don't

understand why the system only offers seats in even numbers.

Anyway, I just went on and booked tables for four, and I will confirm on the 

ship that we are only three.

Having sailed with 3 people on NCL multiple times, we always book for 4. A few times we haven't changed it prior to our reservation times, and we've never been charged for 4. I think it happens quite frequently. And somehow I'm not surprised that the agent gave you incorrect information. That also happens quite frequently, it seems. Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

We have the same problem with 5 people.  The representative on the phone was helpful and also told us to book for 6, but she did tell us to go to customer service right away when we get on the ship to change them to 5 so that we don't get charged for an extra person.

I always book for next highest option (party of 3, book a table of 4). When I am on board (sometime when I have free time), I stop at the dinner reservation desk and have them change my reservations to the correct number.  You don't have to do this immediately when you board as there usually will be a line then. Enjoy.

By the way, this works with a larger party too. The max I can usually reserve online is a table for 8. Last cruise, we had 12 people (too large for a single reservation made online but not a group status yet). So I have one other couple reserve a table for 4 (plus my table for 8 at the same "bat time and "bat"place. On board, I talked to the maitre d  at the restaurant early in the cruise to let them know to seat these two reservations together or at least close by.  They were always accommodating. 

Edited by newbe dave
typo