ATSB assists with Viking Sky Investigation

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I find it strange that they would be involved as it happened off Norway and Viking is a Norwegian company. Is it as there may have been Aussies on board?

If you read the link you would know it was because they were asked to by the Accident Investigation Board Norway (AIBN) .

They have been asked to find:

"

At the AIBN's request, the ATSB is assisting with the collection of information relevant to the investigation. To protect any information supplied by AIBN to the ATSB, and the ATSB's investigative work to assist AIBN, the ATSB initiated an investigation under the Transport Safety Investigation Act 2003."

They state their involvement is "Short." They also define that as: "

Short investigations provide a summary and analysis of commonly occurring transport safety accidents and incidents. Investigation activity includes sourcing photos and documentation of any transport vehicle damage and/or accident site, interviews of involved parties, collection of documents such as procedures and internal investigations by manufacturers and operators.

Short investigation result in a report of up to eight pages including a description of the sequence of events, limited contextual factual information, a short analysis and findings. Findings include safety factors (the events and conditions that increased the risk of incident or accident happening) but only examines the actions and conditions directly relating to the occurrence and any proactive safety actions taken by industry."

Thus, it's just gathering facts for the main investigation, possibly passenger/crew details, technical content from manufacturers if part of the ship build, that sort of thing. No heavy investigative analysis.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, MicCanberra said:

So that implies there were some Aussies aboard either as crew or passengers.

There were quite a large number of Aussies on board - many were interviewed on ch 7 and 9 and ABC news in the week or two after the rescue. 

On 4/22/2019 at 5:08 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

There were quite a large number of Aussies on board - many were interviewed on ch 7 and 9 and ABC news in the week or two after the rescue. 

I am not surprised that there was quite a large number of Aussies on board.  I have never been on board a cruise that didn't have Aussies on board.  We are a great country of travellers, the more adventurous the better.  And this cruise turned out to be an unexpected adventure.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

Makes some sense then,

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, MMDown Under said:

I am not surprised that there was quite a large number of Aussies on board.  I have never been on board a cruise that didn't have Aussies on board.  We are a great country of travellers, the more adventurous the better.  And this cruise turned out to be an unexpected adventure.

I would like to do a helicopter winch up and such but definitely not in those conditions and not as a rescue but a practice or drill.