Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

I may be paranoid, but I wonder if this dry dock schedule was not known in advance, is there something wrong with the ship?  Do we have to worry about getting on?  I have sent an email to Channel 4 news in New York letting them know about this issue but since Norwegian is a big advertiser on the network, I doubt that there will  be any help.

I would be cautious of filing a credit card dispute. I'd be surprised if you won it given the cruise contract NCL has against you. And I also recall an article I've seen on an advocacy site where a cruiser wasn't happy with the future cruise credit offered for problems on the cruise so they filed a credit card disput and then after it was denied she was sent an letter detailing their lifetime ban from the cruise line. I can't recall which cruiseline it was at the time. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

I am just at a loss they send me this email on Easter weekend.  I have my toddler coming with us on this trip. Now I must scramble around to rearrange train, plane and hotel accommodations. I am legit having an anxiety attack attempting to maneuver these changes. How can they do this on such short notice. 25% is not even close to how much this will cost me.There must be a class action suit we can all file against them. I called the customer service and she was like a robot no compassion to what this abrupt change will be causing my family. This is my first time cruising NCL and honestly has left me with such a distaste for them. I hope they do right by us and decide to give us back 50% and 250 per person board credit it's the least they can do.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anniebobby1018 said:

I am just at a loss they send me this email on Easter weekend.  I have my toddler coming with us on this trip. Now I must scramble around to rearrange train, plane and hotel accommodations. I am legit having an anxiety attack attempting to maneuver these changes. How can they do this on such short notice. 25% is not even close to how much this will cost me.There must be a class action suit we can all file against them. I called the customer service and she was like a robot no compassion to what this abrupt change will be causing my family. This is my first time cruising NCL and honestly has left me with such a distaste for them. I hope they do right by us and decide to give us back 50% and 250 per person board credit it's the least they can do.

That's more or less what they're doing. 25% refunded, 25% as a future cruise credit, and $300 pp for either transportation changes or hotels. 

3 hours ago, Alaskawhovian said:

It sounds like we have some trolls (or NCL staff) floating around in here.   I would love to turn the tables on them and see how well this would float if this was their vacation.  Insurance and whatever aside, it was a lousy thing for Norwegian to do- and implementation of the change was poorly done.  Half the cruisers were made aware of the situation by someone other than NCL, and many seem lost in terms of where to go from here.  With such a large change with no notice, people should have at least been given the option to cancel.

We are platinum plus with NCL,  and we are familiar with the dry docking thing, but I have never seen them pull a stunt like this one.  So, are people suggesting that booking a cruise before or after dry dock (scheduled dry dock not as a result of needed repair- that cannot be helped), it is acceptable and to be expected that NCL can and will lop days and nights off your cruise and eliminate half the ports with a week’s notice?  Seriously?  

Yes, you can buy insurance, yes, port changes happen, weather can happen, yes, there is a contract.  We have been through two hurricanes with NCL with changes in itinerary and a good variety of other unplanned stuff.  One time the kids program shut down for 12 days of our cruise.   Of course it was unpleasant, but we accepted it and moved on.  We in no way expected compensation.  This situation is not the same thing.  This was their voluntary decision, so now they can face the backlash.

To use something I have said to my adult sons many times- just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD.  Horrible business practice and customer service.  Whether or not we continue to sail with NCL depends on how they handle this.  Their actions suggest they don’t care what loyal cruisers think.   They will do what they CAN, not what they SHOULD.

Bravo!!!!!!! Nailed it.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I am booked on this cruise as well and found out about this thread from the roll call. I have been extremely upset about this all weekend long. I've also been scrambling to make alternative plans, but am holding off in case they decide to make another last minute change on us. Don't want to be messed up again. In any event, I have some information for all of you that I shared on the roll call and want to share here as well. One is that I have some names of some media people you might want to contact about our predicament. They do the Help Me segments on the local news and may be willing to cover this to pressure NCL to cough up more money or a 100% refund. 

Monica Morales monica@pix11.com @monicamoralestv on Twitter

Arnold Diaz atdiaz@pix11.com 

I also reached out to a lawyer and although they aren't able to help us, they think we have a case for a class action lawsuit when we get back. I'll attach the letter below. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything else. 

Dear [Redacted]:

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, we are not able to assist you.

It appears based on what you are indicating that the cruise line may be breaching the terms of the cruise in question. However, we handle only serious personal injury cases involving cruise ships. We do not handle commercial disputes of this type and have no experience doing so. Litigating against a cruise line is expensive and time consuming. We handle all cases on a contingency fee (no win/no fees or costs basis).

As a practical matter, I do not think that any lawyer can assist you prior to the date of the cruise this weekend.  NCL’s legal department works very slowly. It will not respond to your complaints prior to your sailing date.

We have been contacted by several other passengers about this issue which many customers are accurately calling a bait and switch tactic.  

Thank you for thinking of our firm. We regret that we will not be able to be of service.

Regards.

James M. ("Jim") Walker

Walker & O'Neill P.A.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

I would be cautious of filing a credit card dispute. I'd be surprised if you won it given the cruise contract NCL has against you. And I also recall an article I've seen on an advocacy site where a cruiser wasn't happy with the future cruise credit offered for problems on the cruise so they filed a credit card disput and then after it was denied she was sent an letter detailing their lifetime ban from the cruise line. I can't recall which cruiseline it was at the time. 

Banning someone from a cruise line that screwed them is not punishment. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

That's more or less what they're doing. 25% refunded, 25% as a future cruise credit, and $300 pp for either transportation changes or hotels. 

That's a negative ghost rider...

In what world is 25% of CRUISE FARE only (mind you they cut 50% of our ports, but no refund on port fees or taxes) and 25% off of a future cruise the same as a 50% refund? As it is that 25% is really more like 18% and the $300 per person fee is not for whatever you want... as the NCL rep explained to me on the phone it's primarily for pre-booked and re-booked travel arrangements and is limited to their approval and to be paid out.... god knows when. Not the same as 50% refund especially considering a good chunk of these folks were from the Oasis and were giving NCL a try, that 25% future cruise credit is as good as toilette paper. 

• Like 1

Just got a call from NCL's "Executive Desk" in response to my email to CEO Andy Stewart.  They pretty much told me what I thought....they're not going to do a damn thing about anything. They guy was very apologetic and he quote "understands our frustration" but there's nothing they can do. So I politely informed him they're basically going to have a ship load of pissed off people this Saturday, and it's a shame that they're letting their employees take the brunt of it while the executives do nothing to remediate the situation. Needless to say, I also told him this would be the last time I ever sail with NCL.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Anniebobby1018 said:

We we are on the cruise with two kids as well.   One is six (daughter)  and one is three. (Son).  Both of them have Down Syndrome.   We were and are looking forward to the cruise, but the chaos and extra planning and money has made this especially difficult.    Maybe our kids can meet at the Splash Academy.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I will never use NCL again so that 25% that they are offering means nothing to me. The amount of money that I will have to spend towards food, hotel 2 extra days, plane and train does not not begin to cover what they are offering. So no it is not morre or less. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vwlmember said:

Banning someone from a cruise line that screwed them is not punishment. 

Maybe in this case you could say they screwed you. In the article I was referring to they were upset that their cabins were merely adjoining not connecting with their teenage daughters. They turned down a future cruise credit of $750pp (x 4 people) offered and instead tried to dispute the credit charge for $3k. 

I am hoping that they go wayyy out of their way for us on the cruise, like no price limits on the drink packages would be a good start.  No corking fees for brought on wine, free internet, and maybe Elton John, Paul McCartney and Peter Frampton as the Showcase entertainment every night (okay, that might be a push).   Right now NCL and the Captain of this ship have the opportunity to go far out of their way to make sure we have the most 10 awesome sail days to brag about for years.  If they don't step up to the plate and bat a homerun, then I will shelf NCL indefinitely. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, km202 said:

Hello everyone,

I am booked on this cruise as well and found out about this thread from the roll call. I have been extremely upset about this all weekend long. I've also been scrambling to make alternative plans, but am holding off in case they decide to make another last minute change on us. Don't want to be messed up again. In any event, I have some information for all of you that I shared on the roll call and want to share here as well. One is that I have some names of some media people you might want to contact about our predicament. They do the Help Me segments on the local news and may be willing to cover this to pressure NCL to cough up more money or a 100% refund. 

Monica Morales monica@pix11.com @monicamoralestv on Twitter

Arnold Diaz atdiaz@pix11.com 

I also reached out to a lawyer and although they aren't able to help us, they think we have a case for a class action lawsuit when we get back. I'll attach the letter below. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything else. 

Dear [Redacted]:

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, we are not able to assist you.

It appears based on what you are indicating that the cruise line may be breaching the terms of the cruise in question. However, we handle only serious personal injury cases involving cruise ships. We do not handle commercial disputes of this type and have no experience doing so. Litigating against a cruise line is expensive and time consuming. We handle all cases on a contingency fee (no win/no fees or costs basis).

As a practical matter, I do not think that any lawyer can assist you prior to the date of the cruise this weekend.  NCL’s legal department works very slowly. It will not respond to your complaints prior to your sailing date.

We have been contacted by several other passengers about this issue which many customers are accurately calling a bait and switch tactic.  

Thank you for thinking of our firm. We regret that we will not be able to be of service.

Regards.

James M. ("Jim") Walker

Walker & O'Neill P.A.

I'll reach out to the media outlets it is worth a try and also keep me infomed on a suit I do think we have something here. The way they are making us rearrange all our hotel,plane, & train accomadations is horrible. 25% does not begin to cover the extra expenses this will be costing us.  #nclhell

• Like 3

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

What was the story about the pre-drydock Canal cruise?  

NCL effectively started the renovations on the cruise prior to drydock. Parts of the ship were like a construction zone while the ship was still in service. After a lot of pressure and negative press, NCL adjusted the comp package. Google NCL Sun Panama Canal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OscarMcSloth said:

That's a negative ghost rider...

In what world is 25% of CRUISE FARE only (mind you they cut 50% of our ports, but no refund on port fees or taxes) and 25% off of a future cruise the same as a 50% refund? As it is that 25% is really more like 18% and the $300 per person fee is not for whatever you want... as the NCL rep explained to me on the phone it's primarily for pre-booked and re-booked travel arrangements and is limited to their approval and to be paid out.... god knows when. Not the same as 50% refund especially considering a good chunk of these folks were from the Oasis and were giving NCL a try, that 25% future cruise credit is as good as toilette paper. 

TOILET...sp correction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

yes, us too.  You never know what may happen, plans change, accidents happen, insurance always a MUST.

NCL screws the pax and it turns into a reason to buy insurance?  The best insurance you can get, and it costs $0, is to not book with NCL.  Case closed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

I'm surprised that some folk on this thread treat a cruise line's contracts as gospel. :classic_huh:

Cos for bookings In the UK at least, they ain't.

Big chunks are totally unenforceable, whether the passenger agrees implicitly or is simply deemed to have agreed, because they drive a coach & horses through consumer laws.

I've seen it in many many industries, and those unenforceable bits are included on contracts only to dissuade folk from pursuing their rights. 

Again, I can only speak for the UK, but a consumer can't be contracted out of their lawful rights.

Is it really so very different in the US? 

JB :classic_huh:

Short answer is yes it is different between the US and the European Union/UK in regards to consumer protection rights.  Just go over to the Royal Caribbean forum and look up Therbon.  He loves to complain about the US consumer protection rights but has no problem booking through a US TA to save some dollars.  He is located in Europe and doesn't want to pay the price difference that would give him additional consumer protection rights yet complains about the US consumer protection rights over and over again.

Edited by gatour

So now, on ncl.com, when I logged in, there is a message post dated Feb 28th, the day we BOOKED the trip.

IF this was the case the day we BOOKED the trip, then why the hell would we have booked excursions in France and Belgium, knowing the stops were cancelled?

***** is going on with this?

With date grab.PNG

InkedWith date grab_LI.jpg

Edited by BDAN8V