Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

2 hours ago, Osnab said:

NCL:

Is anyone from your customer service dept going to reply to these posts?  You need to deal with this in a proper manner.

Osnab
August 13, 2000

you've been on here for 2 decades.

you cant be serious, unless trolling?

8 hours ago, gogators! said:

We're on this as well and are devastated.  25% is a joke, which is low for taking half the ports (and the good ones) away.  Does not come close to the cost of stranding us.

If 25% of the cruisefare doesn't cover the costs for two days you must have got a very good deal on the cruise.

8 hours ago, gogators! said:

NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE WOULD BOOK THIS CRAPPY ITENERARY, and they know it.

Lots of people don't care about the ports and stay on the ship the whole cruise so they might book the "new" cruise. Some people may also be very happy with the compensaion they get.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Lots of people don't care about the ports and stay on the ship the whole cruise so they might book the "new" cruise. Some people may also be very happy with the compensaion they get.

Give it a rest, you sound like you work directly for NCL with these responses. People like you that accept so little so willingly is why NCL offers as little compensation as they do. Not many people are willing to be satisfied with a trip ruined as you appear to be. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Give it a rest, you sound like you work directly for NCL with these responses. People like you that accept so little so willingly is why NCL offers as little compensation as they do. Not many people are willing to be satisfied with a trip ruined as you appear to be. 

I only say that some people don't care about the ports and that is fact, not my opinion.

I have never said that I should be happy with the situation but it's defenitely incorrect to say that "NO ONE" should book the new itinerary.

I don't defend NCL, why should I?

• Like 2

I have a cruise next which expires in November, 2019 and another which expires in November, 2020.  They are for sale at $100 each, each one can be used as a $250 deposit on a future cruise or can be used towards a current cruise if is before final payment and a cruise next has not been used for said cruise.  I am very serious about being a platinum plus who sees no reason to sail with NCL in 2019 or 2020.

I phoned yesterday to ask if a passenger could ask to cancel, and receive their money back, since this itinerary change was announced little more than a week before embarkation.  I also asked whether any of the money to be refunded (25%), plus any prepaid gratuities, shore trips etc. would be done asap so that those having to finance their change in travel plans now will have that money available so they will not have to spend more, or incur more credit charges. In both cases, the answer was no:  no 100% refunds for cancellation; no promised refunds until well after the ship sails (I was told '8-10 days').

Remember when passengers had to pay in full by a certain date before embarkation - or suffer penalties or loss of deposit?  I guess the shoe is on one foot, when it involves a contract between a passenger and NCL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I only say that some people don't care about the ports and that is fact, not my opinion.

I have never said that I should be happy with the situation but it's defenitely incorrect to say that "NO ONE" should book the new itinerary.

I don't defend NCL, why should I?

Your statement could not be less of a "fact". The facts are that the vast MAJORITY of people on this cruise and in general that purchase one thing, i.e a 12 day cruise (regardless of ports) and then receive another without the option of a full refund - are going to be upset. Mistakes happen, they are inevitable, we live in an imperfect world. Forget the situation I outline above of being given a different product than you paid for; what is unacceptable is that this happened a week out. NCL knew when Getaway was christened when and where she would be dry docking... To give guests such little notice, cut 50% of the ports out (of which they will not be refunding port fees or taxes) in addition to changing the duration of the initial cruise - that is unacceptable. And we are fortunate enough to be aware of the change. Many, and I mean MANY, folks have not even been notified by NCL or their travel agents yet. I have the NCL iOS app, I log into the NCL web portal every day and I log into our TA portal frequently... all of which still show the normal dates, all of which still allow you to book shore excursions for locations we are not visiting. We found out through twitter that the cruise was modified. 

I hope that you and no other NCL customers are treated with the disrespect and indecency that we have experienced throughout this process. I understand your inability to be empathetic, but perhaps this thread is not the right place for you to be trolling your opinion. 

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OscarMcSloth said:

Your statement could not be less of a "fact". The facts are that the vast MAJORITY of people on this cruise and in general that purchase one thing, i.e a 12 day cruise (regardless of ports) and then receive another without the option of a full refund - are going to be upset. Mistakes happen, they are inevitable, we live in an imperfect world. Forget the situation I outline above of being given a different product than you paid for; what is unacceptable is that this happened a week out. NCL knew when Getaway was christened when and where she would be dry docking... To give guests such little notice, cut 50% of the ports out (of which they will not be refunding port fees or taxes) in addition to changing the duration of the initial cruise - that is unacceptable. And we are fortunate enough to be aware of the change. Many, and I mean MANY, folks have not even been notified by NCL or their travel agents yet. I have the NCL iOS app, I log into the NCL web portal every day and I log into our TA portal frequently... all of which still show the normal dates, all of which still allow you to book shore excursions for locations we are not visiting. We found out through twitter that the cruise was modified. 

I hope that you and no other NCL customers are treated with the disrespect and indecency that we have experienced throughout this process. I understand your inability to be empathetic, but perhaps this thread is not the right place for you to be trolling your opinion. 

On point.  We got screwed. Intentionally.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

Here is the schedule for the drydock, in Brest. The Getaway had a refurbishment there in 2018 as well.  Azipod/thruster issues again?

http://crew-center.com/brest-france-cruise-ship-schedule-2019

It was the Breakaway that dry-docked at Brest in 2018, not Getaway. 

The Getaway never went to Europe in 2018.

I just sent a little note to some folks at NCL sharing my thoughts and I suggest if you're unhappy with this situation that you do so as well. I added the CFO since many of these CC transactions for the cruise are being disputed, the head of their board as well as Franky D. 

vewart@ncl.com,
astuart@ncl.com,
MKempa@ncl.com,
RGalbut@crescentheights.com,
FrankDelRio@nclcorp.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OscarMcSloth said:

I just sent a little note to some folks at NCL sharing my thoughts and I suggest if you're unhappy with this situation that you do so as well. I added the CFO since many of these CC transactions for the cruise are being disputed, the head of their board as well as Franky D. 

vewart@ncl.com,
astuart@ncl.com,
MKempa@ncl.com,
RGalbut@crescentheights.com,
FrankDelRio@nclcorp.com

Good luck with that. This is why people should get insurance. My wife and I went thru the same crap last September on the Escape when our cruise to Bermuda turned into a cruise to Port Canaveral Florida, GSC and Nassau, we never did make it to Nassau. Our entire itinerary was screwed up. NCL offered us Zero. Consider yourself very lucky your getting back 25%

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Good luck with that. This is why people should get insurance. My wife and I went thru the same crap last September on the Escape when our cruise to Bermuda turned into a cruise to Port Canaveral Florida, GSC and Nassau, we never did make it to Nassau. Our entire itinerary was screwed up. NCL offered us Zero. Consider yourself very lucky your getting back 25%

Thanks for the advice. The majority of insurance packages 3rd party and direct with NCL don't cover since this is not an act of God.

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

yes, us too.  You never know what may happen, plans change, accidents happen, insurance always a MUST.

5 minutes ago, OscarMcSloth said:

Thanks for the advice. The majority of insurance packages 3rd party and direct with NCL don't cover since this is not an act of God.

Thats not really true, you can purchase from a few places cancel for any reason insurance. Its more expensive but you can get it. We just bought it for our up coming cruise on the Escape in June. My wife and I have elderly parents with health conditions. If something happens before the cruise we can cancel, if something happens during the cruise......well, they can be kept on ice Lol

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Osnab
August 13, 2000

you've been on here for 2 decades.

you cant be serious, unless trolling?

What???  An internet troll is a person who starts arguments or deliberately upsets people on the internet to cause ill feelings, mostly on off-topic messages. 

You're right, I've been here for 2 decades.  How is that being a troll? 

I have not got a direct dog in this fight, but I have 2 friends who have been affected by this. 

Additionally, I cruise a lot and want to see how NCL addresses this (legitimate) concern from its passengers.  Based on what I've seen thus far, I will definitely NOT cruise with NCL again unless they step up their customer service. 

Instead, it seems that they think they can just ignore everyone's complaints and it'll all pass.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Hmm, yeah consider yourself lucky you're getting back 25% - you should send them a fruit basket with lots of love and thank you kisses.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Thats not really true, you can purchase from a few places cancel for any reason insurance. Its more expensive but you can get it. We just bought it for our up coming cruise on the Escape in June. My wife and I have elderly parents with health conditions. If something happens before the cruise we can cancel, if something happens during the cruise......well, they can be kept on ice Lol

We always buy insurance and always have cancel for any reason.  NCL has compensated $300 per person and 25% refund on whatever you paid for this cruise....if you had this insurance you then have a choice of what to do.  We had to use our insurance 2 weeks before a 14 day European cruise 8 years ago and learned the lesson well that it is not an option for us.  I am so sorry that the people posting here are so angry and can't seem to deal with it other than posting hate on a public message board...see a lawyer, see your doctor, call your credit card company, send a million emails to NCL management, but please stop doing what doesn't do any good and that is spewing hate on this board.  That really will not make a difference unless it is a negative one to your health.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lanceholt said:

We always buy insurance and always have cancel for any reason.  NCL has compensated $300 per person and 25% refund on whatever you paid for this cruise....if you had this insurance you then have a choice of what to do.  We had to use our insurance 2 weeks before a 14 day European cruise 8 years ago and learned the lesson well that it is not an option for us.  I am so sorry that the people posting here are so angry and can't seem to deal with it other than posting hate on a public message board...see a lawyer, see your doctor, call your credit card company, send a million emails to NCL management, but please stop doing what doesn't do any good and that is spewing hate on this board.  That really will not make a difference unless it is a negative one to your health.  

👍

42 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Was your cruise reduced in the number of days or did you just miss ports? Was yours detoured due to a weather situation "act of god" or was it a manufactured reason?  This was an intentional reduction of the cruise by two days(17%) to get it into dry dock early.  The hilarious part is that the dry dock in Brest does not have this ship scheduled to come in two days early.  Where is it actually going on May 8th and 9th?

4 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

Was your cruise reduced in the number of days or did you just miss ports? Was yours detoured due to a weather situation "act of god" or was it a manufactured reason?  This was an intentional reduction of the cruise by two days(17%) to get it into dry dock early.  The hilarious part is that the dry dock in Brest does not have this ship scheduled to come in two days early.  Where is it actually going on May 8th and 9th?

I will only say go back and read the cruise contract. In a nutshell all cruise line can shorten, cancel....basically do whatever they want. And once again be glad they offered 25%.....in reality they don't have to offer a penny. That is why its always import to purchase insurance.

Believe me, its sucks but it is what it is......

Edited by Laszlo

11 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I will only say go back and read the cruise contract. In a nutshell all cruise line can shorten, cancel....basically do whatever they want. And once again be glad they offered 25%.....in reality they don't have to offer a penny. That is why its always import to purchase insurance.

I have insurance. It covers nearly everything but a cruise line making an irrational and unethical decision to shorten a cruise for it's own benefit.  Also, we have gathered evidence that they potentially knew about the change for more than three weeks before announcing the change and continued to market and sell the cruise as a 12-day transatlantic. That would be fraud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

I have a cruise next which expires in November, 2019 and another which expires in November, 2020.  They are for sale at $100 each, each one can be used as a $250 deposit on a future cruise or can be used towards a current cruise if is before final payment and a cruise next has not been used for said cruise.  I am very serious about being a platinum plus who sees no reason to sail with NCL in 2019 or 2020.

Tried emailing you but couldn't. We are looking at the $349 Bermuda cruise out of NYC this weekend. We would be interested in the one expiring Nov 2020. At the $349 price point, we would sail on NCL, mainly to get three days in Bermuda.

20 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Hell, my reservation page still lists it as a 12-day right now. No email notification of change. I can still book shore excursions and restaurants for the two days that no longer exist. You call this ok?

NCL Capture 1-22-19 10AM.PNG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Interesting - so someone can be charged $xxxx (let's say $2k/pp) for a 14 day cruise, and then NCL can decide to make it a 4-day cruise and the customer is contractually obligated to accept that for the same $2k?