Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

On 4/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, vwlmember said:

Just informed by NCL that the 4/27 Getaway transatlantic has been shortened from 12 days to 10 days and we will not go to Brussels and LeHarve.  This is so disappointing I cannot even begin to explain. Not getting to see Normandy, the only reason I booked this cruise, is devastating.  Although they are refunding 25% of the cruise price and any scheduled shore excursions, I am done with NCL.  Our last cruise on the Escape had issues for us and they were not willing to help us with a huge medical bill incurred by an issue they should have addressed.

As soon as the cruise is over  plan and go to Normandy, Paris and Brussels and see if Norwegian can help you change your flight and pay any add collect fees and change fees.

Book the nicest place you can afford and enjoy the missed ports.  Take the 25 percent refund and apply it to your own land vacation. Hire a Private Guide.

This is why I love being spontaneous. My travel vendor fails then I negotiate my own way to enjoy it after a cruise. See if their land vacation department can cover costs and assist with rail transportation to the places you want to see. You could also do it with a travel agent. A cruise cut from 12 to 10 days should give you $200 back plus port charges in hard cash.  

Look at Rick Steve's Travel Forum for some ideas and call it a day.

Edited by travelplus

24 minutes ago, mainelycruising said:

I do  not know what may be cut out - hopefully a day at sea and Portsmouth which, quite frankly, you can take a National Coach bus from Southampton in two hours, if so inclined

The other two ports (Ponta Delgada and Portland) were cut. (Portsmouth was never one of the ports.)

Edited by Turtles06

20 minutes ago, mainelycruising said:

I just phoned NCL, and this change was confirmed. They are in the process of emailing all TA and passengers. Basically, from what was described, the length will remain reduced by two days, but there will be stops in Zeebruge and LeHavre.  (I do not know what may be cut out - hopefully a day at sea and Portsmouth which, quite frankly, you can take a National Coach bus from Southampton in two hours, if so inclined).  Good news!

They eliminated The Azores, as well as Portland, England.

29 minutes ago, travelplus said:

As soon as the cruise is over  plan and go to Normandy, Paris and Brussels and see if Norwegian can help you change your flight and pay any add collect fees and change fees.

Book the nicest place you can afford and enjoy the missed ports.  Take the 25 percent refund and apply it to your own land vacation. Hire a Private Guide.

This is why I love being spontaneous. My travel vendor fails then I negotiate my own way to enjoy it after a cruise. See if their land vacation department can cover costs and assist with rail transportation to the places you want to see. You could also do it with a travel agent. A cruise cut from 12 to 10 days should give you $200 back plus port charges in hard cash.  

Look at Rick Steve's Travel Forum for some ideas and call it a day.

Great attitude and I hope the advice is taken....life is too short to be this upset for this long and there are alternatives which might be much better in the long run!

22 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

Sounds like it will be a great cruise now!  Hope all the anger can just evaporate...and you all still will get your refunds etc, wow!

Not only that another cruise to look forward to. I would just book my next cruise be it a Trans Atlantic or a B2B cruise and call it  a day.  For me I don't feel good if I have no cruises booked.

I have a 21 day Royal Caribbean B2B Med and Trans Atlantic Booked. 

Heck if they miss a port as they did on my last year Tampa-Amsterdam cruise we missed Dublin due to weather. Am I upset. No it was not meant to be and if it was raining it would not be enjoyable. I can just fly to Dublin  and spend 3 weeks in Ireland and combine it with a British Isles Cruise.

My Father and I made lemons out of lemonade and enjoyed an overnight in Cobh instead of Dublin where we went to a nice pub, had dinner and took a walking tour of Cork.

We made it to Kilarny Castle and we enjoyed our private guide tour of the Azores even if it was gloomy. 

I know for  a fact that cruiselines  can change their itineraries and you just can only go with the flow.

I am sure the OP will be able to find a similar itinerary. For me if the Azores are missed its not the end of the world. 

The OP is lucky that there is some lead time to make alternate plans. Not sure if they are working or not but if they have flexibility and as its still shoulder season do your own land trip.

I am very good at planning last minute trips or making changes on a whim. For instance  a few days we were going to check in to our hotel in Vegas I found a better deal at a nicer property and cancelled the reservation and stayed at  a nicer property. 

AirBnB sometimes has last minute bookings available and you can use that as  a resource.  You could purchase a Eurostar Pass to go from Brussels London to Paris and get off at Disney Paris Marne La Valee and go from there to Normandy. 

Its less expensive to fly into London and out of Paris because of the high taxes they charge.   A lot of people start in London and leave from Paris.

I would figure three nights minimum in Brussels then four nights in London three nights in Normandy and four nights in Paris. If time permits you could go to Amsterdam for two or three nights. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by travelplus

OP here is a highly recommended B&B located very close to the D-Day Beach.  My good friend is good friend's with the owner and spent months here. Please tell them that Billie Bishop recommended this place. They will cook breakfast and dinner and prepare a lunch picnic basket.

http://www.cmlesvignets.com/anglais/price-list/

• Like 1

so NCL sent an email with yet ANOTHER itinerary change. 7 days at sea, le havre, zeebrugge, southampton. why, FOUR DAYS OUT, is there another change. my husband and i planned a day trip from london to bruges after the first change. absolutely ridiculous. this is insane. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, John Bull said:

Le Havre is showing only one cruise ship (Costa Mediterranea) booked for 5th May - it frequently handles two large cruise ships.

https://www.havre-port.com/fr/liste/2077/escales-croisieres

Zeebrugge is showing  no cruise ships booked for 7th May 

https://www.portofzeebrugge.be/en/cruise-timetable

It would be patently clear to anyone that Zeebrugge and Le Havre are the two most important ports for cruisers, especially since Portland is only a 2-hour drive from Southampton, and I can see no logistical reason why Getaway can't skip Ponta Delgarda and Portland, and instead sail to Le Havre for 5th May, then Zeebrugge for 6th May and Southampton 7th May.

That may involve changing arrangements for some stores and/or bunkering but I wonder whether NCL reckon it's easier for them to simply chop off the last two ports and leave 4.000 passengers to change their arrangements instead?

JB :classic_smile:

If I managed to figured this out back on saturday night when I heard about the two days being lopped-off,  how come it's taken so much pressure for NCL to now come to the same conclusion :classic_rolleyes:

Have they been reading my mail? :classic_biggrin:

NB  Don't be misled by the sequence in my post (Le Havre then Zeebrugge) since I wasn't sure that Zeebruuge could handle three decent-size ships on the 5th. 

It's my understanding that NCL have kept the same sequence (Zeebrugge then Le Havre).

Such a shame that they've screwed around, but I'm sure that re-instating those ports will make the cruise  much more worthwhile

1 hour ago, mainelycruising said:

I do not know what may be cut out - hopefully a day at sea and Portsmouth which, quite frankly, you can take a National Coach bus from Southampton in two hours, if so inclined).  Good news!

I don't think they can chop a day at sea - unless they bolt a couple of dozen Evinrude V8 outboard engines on the stern :classic_wink:

So it's Ponta Delgarda (Azores) and Portland  (not your Portsmouth typo) that get the chop

JB :classic_huh:

Edited by John Bull

8 minutes ago, arhahniu02 said:

so NCL sent an email with yet ANOTHER itinerary change. 7 days at sea, le havre, zeebrugge, southampton. why, FOUR DAYS OUT, is there another change. my husband and i planned a day trip from london to bruges after the first change. absolutely ridiculous. this is insane. 

I am sorry you are going through this. What is the rush to get the ship to Europe? Please read my posts above including a nice B&B just meters from the D-Day Beach.

Is there an issue with the ship.  Not sure what is going on because cutting so many ports in a short amount of time makes me think that there is a mechanical issue or its going to Dry Dock or a chartered cruise. Norwegian owes you an explanation. 

Almost seems better to jump ship and transfer to another Trans Atlantic with ports that you would like to see. Can you look for last minute Cunard, Princess, Holland America or Norwegian cruises. At the very least I would expect Norwegian to cover the difference as its within the Carnival Corporation line of ships.

Pose this as an alternative either you help me plan a  land tour to the missed ports or transfer me to a cruise of 14 nights or longer and put me in the same category or better cabin and pay the difference.

1 minute ago, travelplus said:

I am sorry you are going through this. What is the rush to get the ship to Europe? Please read my posts above including a nice B&B just meters from the D-Day Beach.

Is there an issue with the ship.  Not sure what is going on because cutting so many ports in a short amount of time makes me think that there is a mechanical issue or its going to Dry Dock or a chartered cruise. Norwegian owes you an explanation. 

Almost seems better to jump ship and transfer to another Trans Atlantic with ports that you would like to see. Can you look for last minute Cunard, Princess, Holland America or Norwegian cruises. At the very least I would expect Norwegian to cover the difference as its within the Carnival Corporation line of ships.

Pose this as an alternative either you help me plan a  land tour to the missed ports or transfer me to a cruise of 14 nights or longer and put me in the same category or better cabin and pay the difference.

NCL is most certainly NOT a Carnival Corp cruise line. It is an entirely separate company.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

Lots of people tried doing this when we first heard of France and Belgium being eliminated.  NCL has another TA going out the very next day as ours, and we were told we absolutely could NOT switch to that sailing, nor cancel this sailing unless we wanted to completely forfeit our cruise fare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

Lots of people tried doing this when we first heard of France and Belgium being eliminated.  NCL has another TA going out the very next day as ours, and we were told we absolutely could NOT switch to that sailing, nor cancel this sailing unless we wanted to completely forfeit our cruise fare.

Oy! I am surprised they would not let you transfer on a first come first served basis on a new cruise or refund you the entire cost of the cruise and pay for the change fee for the airline and any cost differences for a new ticket.

I think Royal Caribbean would handle it better if they really cut back a cruise you should be given an option of a  full refund if you are not happy with the abbreviated itinerary or switch to a new cruise sailing date.

At this point I would even offer  fly to meet the next day's Trans Atlantic Cruise. I wonder if their ports are being cut too? If your ship is rushing to may drydock or some other mechanical issue then Norwegian should give you the option to cancel or move to another TA Cruise.

What if you had non refundable costs in Europe? I am surprised Norwegian won't let you transfer.  Can you write to the CEO and see what they can do.

Christopher Elliott may be able to help in this instance because while a cruiseline can cancel or alter an itinerary they should give more compensation or the ability to cancel the cruise and hold the funds as a Future Cruise Credit or refund it back to the original form of payment.

If an airline can't get me to my destination they refund me during a travel waiver due to weather and with a mechanical delay pay me dearly. 

I know a cruiseline is different but if you want to stay in business and keep loyal customers then you need to sweeten the deal.  At least offer to transfer you to either a Westbound TA in the Fall or a Eastbound one next spring with no extra costs , additional OBC , Drink Package(Ultimate) etc.

Edited by travelplus

What a gong show !! The new edocs show the ship docking in Southhampton on May 7th then departing to Brest, France the next day then back to Southampton on May 9th ?!?! What the hell is going on with NCL ?

Cruise Itinerary

PORT OF CALL/ITINERARY ARRIVE DEPART
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, US   04/27/19 04:00 PM
AT SEA    
AT SEA    
AT SEA    
AT SEA    
AT SEA    
AT SEA    
AT SEA    
LE HAVRE (PARIS), FRANCE 05/05/19 07:00 AM 05/05/19 07:00 PM
ZEEBRUGGE (BRUSSELS/BRUGGE), BELGIUM 05/06/19 08:00 AM 05/06/19 05:00 PM
SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN 05/07/19 07:00 AM 05/07/19 04:00 PM
BREST, FRANCE 05/08/19 11:30 AM 05/21/19 06:00 PM
SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN 05/09/19 07:00 AM  

Off the ship on the 7th. Previously booked excursions for Belgium and France are cancelled and will be refunded. Have to book new ones on board, Hopefully through the TV app and not waiting with 1000+ other people at the excursion desk. Should be interesting.

As happy as I am that they are still going to Belgium and France after all, the second last minute change to our itinerary in less than a week has me really freaked out and extremely anxious about changing our flights. I don't want to book my alternative plans until we 100% know that this is the final change and that the ship is really going out and won't be cancelled like the Oasis TA. I know we risk the airfare rising to Lisbon or Dublin, but worst case scenario, we change our Manchester flight for free rather than cancel it and just leave early. Not ideal, but I'm not going to get screwed twice. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, km202 said:

As happy as I am that they are still going to Belgium and France after all, the second last minute change to our itinerary in less than a week has me really freaked out and extremely anxious about changing our flights. I don't want to book my alternative plans until we 100% know that this is the final change and that the ship is really going out and won't be cancelled like the Oasis TA. I know we risk the airfare rising to Lisbon or Dublin, but worst case scenario, we change our Manchester flight for free rather than cancel it and just leave early. Not ideal, but I'm not going to get screwed twice. 

Good call... We rebooked the extra two days in France to see Normandy since it was axed from the new, new itinerary and now obviously with the new, new, new itinerary I would have definitely booked some time in Spain, Lisbon or Dublin instead of seeing France 3 times/days... It was a nice gesture that they were "listening" to customers but making changes like this 96 hours out is honestly just adds more chaos. And to be really honest it's hard to believe that this second switch up wasn't planned. The notice in NCL Portal is/was extremely vague all it says in NCL Portal Message center is that the trip was reduced from 12 to 10 days and for folks to call for more details. It's said that since Monday. After emailing the CEO of NCL holdings and the CEO of NCL as well as the head of the NCL holdings board I am fairly certain that this adjustment is a ploy to look reasonable if customers to decide to pursue litigation. At this point, I honestly don't care, it is what it is, I almost just want it to be over with, the whiplash is more painful - "NCL just take my money, tell me where I should go" 

They knew darn well with this change up that they weren't going to be able to please everyone and that many folks rebooked over the holiday weekend. The fair thing to do would be to refund 50% straight up and continue to sail, or give folks the option to #getaway from this trip with a full refund. 

Edited by OscarMcSloth
  • Like 8

now, 4/23, 4 days prior to sailing they are skipping azores and portland and going to france and belgium. It is like a rollacoaster. I now have to take more time to change prior arrangements.  My PTSD is going crazy. heads should roll over this. there are postings that this is fraud as they were advertising 12 days, after it was only 10.  class action?  that's it I'm tired of the whole thing.

• Like 4

I'm at a loss.  Have have lost more sleep and money over this than I can even count.  This is supposed to be a vacation, relaxing?  I really don't even want to go anymore.  If I weren't going to be out the thousands of dollars I now have invested between 6 people and three cabins (not including all of the $$ for the changes that had been made prior to this new, new change) I'd just stay home.  I don't even have words to describe this anymore...  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, newbie68 said:

The new edocs show the ship docking in Southhampton on May 7th then departing to Brest, France the next day then back to Southampton on May 9th ?!?! What the hell is going on with NCL ?

It is my understanding that we are disembarking in Southampton on May 7th.  The SHIP is then going to Brest, France for the beginning of it's dry docking.  At least that's what the schedule is the last I've heard. . . .

Stay tuned.

5 hours ago, Anniebobby1018 said:

You assume incorrectly and I'm not staying at a hotel in south Hampton for ypur information. Why don't you check the hotels in London for me if you care so much. Will you be paying for my 2 extra days of food that I didn't account for.  #troll Will you help me with 3 yr old toddler the 2 days I thought I would be on a boat? 

See post number 125 on page 5.

5 hours ago, Anniebobby1018 said:

You assume incorrectly and I'm not staying at a hotel in south Hampton for ypur information. Why don't you check the hotels in London for me if you care so much. Will you be paying for my 2 extra days of food that I didn't account for.  #troll Will you help me with 3 yr old toddler the 2 days I thought I would be on a boat? 

Do you know how much money NCL will refund? If 25% of the fare is much less than what you will have to spend for hotels and food for two days your cruise must have been rather cheap.