Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

1 hour ago, OscarMcSloth said:

Thanks for the advice. The majority of insurance packages 3rd party and direct with NCL don't cover since this is not an act of God.

Someone posted on either this thread or the roll call that their insurance is reimbursing them for some of the extra expenses.

3 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Interesting - so someone can be charged $xxxx (let's say $2k/pp) for a 14 day cruise, and then NCL can decide to make it a 4-day cruise and the customer is contractually obligated to accept that for the same $2k?  

(c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the movements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vessels in all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including, without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at any unscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised port; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so; substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.

Guest-Ticket-Contract.pdf This contract is from 2015, who knows what has been changed or added

15 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Tried emailing you but couldn't. We are looking at the $349 Bermuda cruise out of NYC this weekend. We would be interested in the one expiring Nov 2020. At the $349 price point, we would sail on NCL, mainly to get three days in Bermuda.

Mdyblueathotmail.com

2 hours ago, OscarMcSloth said:

Your statement could not be less of a "fact". The facts are that the vast MAJORITY of people on this cruise and in general that purchase one thing, i.e a 12 day cruise (regardless of ports) and then receive another without the option of a full refund - are going to be upset. Mistakes happen, they are inevitable, we live in an imperfect world. Forget the situation I outline above of being given a different product than you paid for; what is unacceptable is that this happened a week out. NCL knew when Getaway was christened when and where she would be dry docking... To give guests such little notice, cut 50% of the ports out (of which they will not be refunding port fees or taxes) in addition to changing the duration of the initial cruise - that is unacceptable.

I agree with much of what you say but have you seen the post I quoted?

It's incorrect that "NO ONE" will book the new itinerary. Some people don't care about the ports and stay on the ship the whole cruise, they might book the new itinerary.

I could book the new itinerary but I should be very disappointed if I had booked the original itinerary and got the new one, mainly because the cruise is two days shorter. I should love the stop in Bruges but should probably have stayed on the ship in the other port.

I called I called Norwegian and asked if any changes and how the $300 per person can be used, she informed me that it can be used for hotels and travel. When I asked her if I can use it for food she replied no, so I asked her if  can I go eat on the ship then.  Her reply was that it will be in Dry Dock. I don't think she found my question funny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

I phoned yesterday to ask if a passenger could ask to cancel, and receive their money back, since this itinerary change was announced little more than a week before embarkation.  I also asked whether any of the money to be refunded (25%), plus any prepaid gratuities, shore trips etc. would be done asap so that those having to finance their change in travel plans now will have that money available so they will not have to spend more, or incur more credit charges. In both cases, the answer was no:  no 100% refunds for cancellation; no promised refunds until well after the ship sails (I was told '8-10 days').

Remember when passengers had to pay in full by a certain date before embarkation - or suffer penalties or loss of deposit?  I guess the shoe is on one foot, when it involves a contract between a passenger and NCL.

Any contract, from any corporation, is going to favor the corporation. Your only choice as a customer is to agree to the terms, or not. These cruisers chose to agree to the contract. The legal system will have no sympathy for them. I’m not un-sympathetic, but that’s just how things work. Don’t sign a contract, then complain when you’re not happy with it after the fact.

The cruise line cancelled 2 days of a 12 day cruise, yet are offering a 25% refund. That’s a bigger percentage than the portion of the cruise they’ve canceled. NCL does not calculate “the value of each individual port” of a cruise when they cancel a portion of a cruise. They calculate the cost saved by having you out of your cabin 2 days early (maybe 4-6 meals, plus not having to clean your cabin for 2 days), and come up with a compensation based on that, not the specific ports you missed. Different ports are important to different people for different reasons. How is any cruise line supposed to calculate the “value” of each individual port ? The ports you miss may mean more to you, than they may to others. Others may be relieved that it was those ports canceled, and not the other 2. 

2 minutes ago, JerseyCruisers2019 said:

Did anyone here book the shuttle at Bruges through Cruise Express?  I've sent them 3 emails since Friday requesting a refund and it's been radio silence.... Looks like I'm going to have to dispute the cc charge. 

I booked cruise express through Viator and received a full refund today when I cancelled it through Viator. I don't know about how it works booking straight with them but the refund has already hit my account.

7 minutes ago, petranite said:

I booked cruise express through Viator and received a full refund today when I cancelled it through Viator. I don't know about how it works booking straight with them but the refund has already hit my account.

They did the same for me. Easily cancelled and quick refund to my CC. Impressive nowadays.

3 hours ago, lanceholt said:

We always buy insurance and always have cancel for any reason.  NCL has compensated $300 per person and 25% refund on whatever you paid for this cruise....if you had this insurance you then have a choice of what to do.  We had to use our insurance 2 weeks before a 14 day European cruise 8 years ago and learned the lesson well that it is not an option for us.  I am so sorry that the people posting here are so angry and can't seem to deal with it other than posting hate on a public message board...see a lawyer, see your doctor, call your credit card company, send a million emails to NCL management, but please stop doing what doesn't do any good and that is spewing hate on this board.  That really will not make a difference unless it is a negative one to your health.  

If the hateful postings help educate an otherwise first time cruiser about Norwegian Cruise Lines and their level of customer service, then these postings serve a purpose and are very useful. 

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, cruiser1955a said:

Any contract, from any corporation, is going to favor the corporation. Your only choice as a customer is to agree to the terms, or not. These cruisers chose to agree to the contract. The legal system will have no sympathy for them. I’m not un-sympathetic, but that’s just how things work. Don’t sign a contract, then complain when you’re not happy with it after the fact.

The cruise line cancelled 2 days of a 12 day cruise, yet are offering a 25% refund. That’s a bigger percentage than the portion of the cruise they’ve canceled. NCL does not calculate “the value of each individual port” of a cruise when they cancel a portion of a cruise. They calculate the cost saved by having you out of your cabin 2 days early (maybe 4-6 meals, plus not having to clean your cabin for 2 days), and come up with a compensation based on that, not the specific ports you missed. Different ports are important to different people for different reasons. How is any cruise line supposed to calculate the “value” of each individual port ? The ports you miss may mean more to you, than they may to others. Others may be relieved that it was those ports canceled, and not the other 2. 

It isn't about value or contracts or calculations. It is simply about doing right by your passengers. As a gesture of goodwill, you give these people an option to cancel for a 100% refund or choose to carry on with the abbreviated sailing. That is strong, A+ customer service...going above and beyond what all of the BS in the "contract" requires. That is how you build long-term goodwill and customer relationships. NCLs actions have repeatedly shown they couldn't care less about this. All they want is revenue, nickels, and dimes. They're not bashful about it. It's a choice they've decided to make. Anyone can be average. It is a heck of a lot tougher to initiate a culture that goes above and beyond average.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, blcruising said:

It isn't about value or contracts or calculations. It is simply about doing right by your passengers. As a gesture of goodwill, you give these people an option to cancel for a 100% refund or choose to carry on with the abbreviated sailing. That is strong, A+ customer service...going above and beyond what all of the BS in the "contract" requires. That is how you build long-term goodwill and customer relationships. NCLs actions have repeatedly shown they couldn't care less about this. All they want is revenue, nickels, and dimes. They're not bashful about it. It's a choice they've decided to make. Anyone can be average. It is a heck of a lot tougher to initiate a culture that goes above and beyond average.

👏100%

The point that cruiser1955a makes is like justifying running down a pedestrian because you had a green light and they had a do-not-cross... People are generally reasonable, we understand that things happen, that plans change. But this isn't the Epic hitting a pier, this isn't the Escape being hit by 100mph winds, it's not an unexpected pod failure or being caught in a bomb cyclone. It's about the modification to the trip being unreasonable, which sucks... but larger, the fact that many people like myself that STILL have not been notified from NCL and would not otherwise know to modify their travel arrangements if it were not for Cruise Critic, Twitter and Facebook... Notified of a change that was WELL known in advance, not 8 days before she sailed. For anyone in this situation, the comp and the 25% may sound fantastic... but when you have 8 days over a holiday weekend to rebook something you already booked a year ago.... AND to shell out money for new travel arrangements without a refund in advance, thats tough for most folks, financially and logistically. 

Anyway, no hate from me. The whole experience has been a positive overall. I've used Cruise Critic for info here and there in the past but never for a roll-call or to be actively a part of a cruise. If it were not for the Getaway roll call folks my partner and I would still have no clue our trip as modified. So I am extremely thankful for the folks in this community. And as far as NCL is concerned, I have been more or less a fanboy for years. I've honestly never had a bad experience until this. Like I posted earlier, mistakes happen, its inevitable. However, the quality of a company really comes to light in how they handle mistakes and situations like these. I am extremely happy to be better educated, to have a point of view on NCL as well as where I'll be spending my $$$$ next cruise. I love me some lemonade, so whether I choose to proceed and embark (or not and dispute with my cc) I will be having a fantastic time.

Edited by OscarMcSloth
  • Like 2

It sounds like we have some trolls (or NCL staff) floating around in here.   I would love to turn the tables on them and see how well this would float if this was their vacation.  Insurance and whatever aside, it was a lousy thing for Norwegian to do- and implementation of the change was poorly done.  Half the cruisers were made aware of the situation by someone other than NCL, and many seem lost in terms of where to go from here.  With such a large change with no notice, people should have at least been given the option to cancel.

We are platinum plus with NCL,  and we are familiar with the dry docking thing, but I have never seen them pull a stunt like this one.  So, are people suggesting that booking a cruise before or after dry dock (scheduled dry dock not as a result of needed repair- that cannot be helped), it is acceptable and to be expected that NCL can and will lop days and nights off your cruise and eliminate half the ports with a week’s notice?  Seriously?  

Yes, you can buy insurance, yes, port changes happen, weather can happen, yes, there is a contract.  We have been through two hurricanes with NCL with changes in itinerary and a good variety of other unplanned stuff.  One time the kids program shut down for 12 days of our cruise.   Of course it was unpleasant, but we accepted it and moved on.  We in no way expected compensation.  This situation is not the same thing.  This was their voluntary decision, so now they can face the backlash.

To use something I have said to my adult sons many times- just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD.  Horrible business practice and customer service.  Whether or not we continue to sail with NCL depends on how they handle this.  Their actions suggest they don’t care what loyal cruisers think.   They will do what they CAN, not what they SHOULD.

• Like 5

I am looking for information regarding the reimbursement of excursion(s) at the cancelled ports.  Can any of the NCL credit card holders provide the dates that they were reimbursed?  I would really appreciate your time in doing so.   

coryjocruiser@gmail.com or you can post here.  Thank you

21 minutes ago, Atlanta_Cruiser said:

I am looking for information regarding the reimbursement of excursion(s) at the cancelled ports.  Can any of the NCL credit card holders provide the dates that they were reimbursed?  I would really appreciate your time in doing so.   

coryjocruiser@gmail.com or you can post here.  Thank you

The excursions (and my airport transfer) disappeared from my Summary on their website but I have not received any refunds to my credit card yet.

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

(c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the movements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vessels in all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including, without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at any unscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised port; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so; substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.

Guest-Ticket-Contract.pdf 68.62 kB · 0 downloads  This contract is from 2015, who knows what has been changed or added

I'm surprised that some folk on this thread treat a cruise line's contracts as gospel. :classic_huh:

Cos for bookings In the UK at least, they ain't.

Big chunks are totally unenforceable, whether the passenger agrees implicitly or is simply deemed to have agreed, because they drive a coach & horses through consumer laws.

I've seen it in many many industries, and those unenforceable bits are included on contracts only to dissuade folk from pursuing their rights. 

Again, I can only speak for the UK, but a consumer can't be contracted out of their lawful rights.

Is it really so very different in the US? 

JB :classic_huh:

6 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I'm surprised that some folk on this thread treat a cruise line's contracts as gospel. :classic_huh:

Big chunks are totally unenforceable, whether the passenger agrees implicitly or is simply deemed to have agreed, because they drive a coach & horses through consumer laws.

I've seen it in many many industries, and those unenforceable bits are included on contracts only to dissuade folk from pursuing their rights. 

Again, I can only speak for the UK, but a consumer can't be contracted out of their lawful rights.

I don't see any language in the contract that they can SHORTEN the cruise - they can change the date of any scheduled port or skip a port, but where does it say they can SHORTEN the cruise length?

19 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I am talking to a class action attorney.  He asked a few questions that I am hoping to get answered.  I am no knowledge of the US contract laws sorry.   

Edited by Atlanta_Cruiser
  • Like 1

I would recommend contacting your credit card issuer and tell them you are disputing the charges and tell them you want a refund of the entire charge you were billed by NCL.

Most credit card issuers like Citi or Chase will give you a temporary credit to your account. They may send you forms to fill out to explain the circumstances surrounding your dispute.

The issuer will contact NCL to let them know that you are disputing the charge and ask for an explanation and a credit for the cost of the cruise.

I have disputed charges from retailers in the past but never a cruise line.. All of my disputes were resolved in my favor.

Also contact local media outlets, make a stink on NCL's facebook page, and let everyone know on Instagram what's going on.

All of this is worth it given the circumstances. The last thing NCL wants is a public outcry !

Good Luck !!

6 minutes ago, RWKBRO1 said:

Also contact local media outlets, make a stink on NCL's facebook page, and let everyone know on Instagram what's going on.

All of this is worth it given the circumstances. The last thing NCL wants is a public outcry !

Good Luck !!

Not a bad suggestion. Also, get an ambulance chaser attorney involved. That is exactly what the passengers on that pre drydock Canal cruise did last year. They really banded together and we're unified and refused to back down to the big corporation. Once it hit the news, NCL was pretty quick to give a full refund. I think within two days or so. The last thing NCL wants is more bad publicity.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2