Cigarettes buying on board?

PekingeseLady

Yes you can buy them either by the pack or by the carton but if you buy them by the carton you won't be able to take them to your stateroom they will hold them for you and give them back to you the last night of your cruise.  Also note that you can only buy two (2) cartons per person per stateroom ( 2 in a stateroom = 4 cartons.  Buy them first day because sometimes they will run out of some brands.😀

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

You can buy cigarettes by the pack at some bars.  Think I remember they are $4 per pack.

You might consider buying a carton of cigarettes at a port stop so you can take them with you to your cabin.  :classic_wink:

I think they are closer to twice that now.  🤔

We plan to simply bring what we will need ahead of time in our carry-ons (much cheaper for us to buy them here in Idaho than anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest).  Also going to carry on our person an extra disposable lighter in case something happens to the one we are using at the time.

🚬

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shipndip60 said:

Yes you can buy them either by the pack or by the carton but if you buy them by the carton you won't be able to take them to your stateroom they will hold them for you and give them back to you the last night of your cruise.  Also note that you can only buy two (2) cartons per person per stateroom ( 2 in a stateroom = 4 cartons.  Buy them first day because sometimes they will run out of some brands.😀

Thank you this is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks to everyone who responded. 

20 minutes ago, Salty Dawg said:

When did they start limiting each person buying just 2 cartons. I've bought as many as ten cartons on board.  Granted, they kept them until the last day when just like liquor, they are delivered to your stateroom.

Many countries (Canada for one) will limit the amount of tobacco and alcohol you can bring through customs

Thanks for your reply Memoak. We are U.S citizens and primarily cruise the Caribbean and as long as we declare cigarettes, we can pay duty and take up to 10 Cartons. we get 2 each with no duty and pay duty on the rest.

Does anyone know if that has changed?

31 minutes ago, Salty Dawg said:

Thanks for your reply Memoak. We are U.S citizens and primarily cruise the Caribbean and as long as we declare cigarettes, we can pay duty and take up to 10 Cartons. we get 2 each with no duty and pay duty on the rest.

Does anyone know if that has changed?

We found out the hard way years ago (have since quit smoking) when we took a train to Vancouver and we each had 2 or 3 cartons and they wanted to confiscate most of them - we convinced customs that we were not staying in town but getting on a ship at Canada Place that day - I think we may have had to show them our itinerary

23 hours ago, shipndip60 said:

No that has not changed, When I gave my answer I was only talking about Duty Free!!!  but your right he can buy as much as 10 if he wants to pay the tax.😎

And the duty tax is not expensive!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thought I would let you know that on the Ruby to Alaska, I could buy as many cartons as I wanted and take them to my room.  As I was on a 5 day Cabo trip a year ago on the Ruby and could not take them to my room, I was very surprised.  I bought 4 cartons and took them to my room.  I was told that it depends on the port of calls, if they allow them brought to your room or the hold them till last day.  Cost was $79 for two cartons.  or $4 a pack at the bars.  Didn't check store price.

• Like 1

On the Caribbean Princess March 2019, I bought 2 cartons and 2 bottles at the duty free store on the ship on the first night to get the discount. He handed me the cartons, I questioned him about taking the cartons, he said Princess now allows you to take the cartons to your cabin but holds onto the bottles until they will deliver it your cabin the last day.  They also sold individual packages.

This month, on the Royal Princess, DH bought eight cartons.  He was able to take them directly to our stateroom.

With special first day pricing, and the elite discount, the total was $280.00, or $35.00 a carton.  

1 hour ago, phabric said:

On the Caribbean Princess March 2019, I bought 2 cartons and 2 bottles at the duty free store on the ship on the first night to get the discount. He handed me the cartons, I questioned him about taking the cartons, he said Princess now allows you to take the cartons to your cabin but holds onto the bottles until they will deliver it your cabin the last day.  They also sold individual packages.

This is how Celebrity handles it too.  I don't understand the reasoning behind not allowing you to take  cartons to your cabin.  As for alcohol, I suspect the reason for holding the bottles until you depart has more to do with forcing you to buy drinks at the bars than any legal restriction.

We did not buy any on board (brought enough to last our inside passage Alaska on the Ruby).  Seeing that the prices were actually lower than what we pay for here, I will remember that for next time and just buy the cartons on board.

Thank you!