New Internet Package Pricing

bluemarble

On several occasions in the past I've commented on how Cunard's internet package pricing hasn't changed in many years. Now on QM2, I see there is new pricing and there are additional options for internet packages as follows:

30 minutes = $15

120 minutes (Gold package) = $45 

240 minutes (Platinum package) = $80

480 minutes (Diamond package) = $135

960 minutes = $220

1,920 minutes = $330

When registering today, I noticed I wasn't offered any additional minutes as an embarkation special. I asked the gentleman at the ConneXions desk about that and was told Cunard doesn't offer embarkation specials any more.

Having disembarked Queen Elizabeth on Friday, there were definitely no internet specials and I found the internet painfully slow. Unfortunately,  in this day some of us need better internet at sea and it appears it is out there,  but not on Cunard.

We are continuously disappointed that Cunard do not address the strength and speed of the Internet Service especially the QM2 which we sail.

I have to strategically plan our use either in the early morning before passenger hit the terminals or late at night when usage is down. 

Wish in this day and age this important part of technology to connect to the world would be fixed for private and business reasons. Instead of just waiting to come into port and connect to outside wifi.... 

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

When registering today, I noticed I wasn't offered any additional minutes as an embarkation special. I asked the gentleman at the ConneXions desk about that and was told Cunard doesn't offer embarkation specials any more.

I noticed the embarkation “special” had disappeared last November on our roundtrip to the Caribbean; most disappointed!

You will find a lot of people on this board have no sympathy when referring to all matters of the internet. I started a post to this effect some while ago, and it seems many pax still live in the dark age of not seeing why we should even need to use it whilst on holiday.🤔

On 4/22/2019 at 1:15 PM, safarigal said:

I was told on board QM2 that they plan to do an internet upgrade in May which will provide more bandwidth - they had hoped to have it done while in Dubai but they were missing some equipment or something. 

Let's hope this helps the poor wifi.

Hello

When  boarded the QM2 on in New York January 3 this year for the 40 days voyage to Singapore I noticed that the embarkation special which gave you 30 free minutes had been discontinued but that the overall speed of the system was going to be upgraded.  Some sort of equipment   was going to loaded onto the ship in Southampton when we arrived there.   When we arrived I was told that the device could not be loaded onto the ship because the crane had broken and therefore the upgrade could not be implemented.  Oh well.  Life goes on.  No way do I blame the overworked internet staff.  They do the best the can with what they are given yet they are the ones who are  unfairly routinely criticized by unhappy passengers.

Deck Chair

OK, I will be the one dissenter here. I use my vacations to unwind from daily life. So, I completely disconnect from the internet and all other modes of technology. I don't even put on the tv, except to see the daily specials and schedules. I am glad that Cunard may be upgrading the internet equipment, but it won't effect me and my family at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stella1250 said:

OK, I will be the one dissenter here. I use my vacations to unwind from daily life. So, I completely disconnect from the internet and all other modes of technology. I don't even put on the tv, except to see the daily specials and schedules. I am glad that Cunard may be upgrading the internet equipment, but it won't effect me and my family at all.

While we do not completely disconnect, we seldom use more  than a fraction of the "free" minutes we get as Platinum WC members.   When we did our first TA crossings on the QM2,  I brought a Mac laptop.  For the next few crossings, I would bring an iPad and leave the laptop at home.   Now we just bring an iPhone and that is mostly for taking photos.  We're usually so busy with onboard activites that there is not much time left for the internet.   

On 4/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, safarigal said:

I was told on board QM2 that they plan to do an internet upgrade in May which will provide more bandwidth - they had hoped to have it done while in Dubai but they were missing some equipment or something. 

Hello,

if there will be any good news about the internet upgrade please let know in this topic. I want to buy a transatlantic in August, but only concern is the internet. I have to work on my cruise and it is very important. Too bad that Cunard does not care about it, I would for sure take more cruises with them if the internet would be good and I'm sure many other passengers would do too.

On 4/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, Stella1250 said:

I tried cutting myself off for 2 weeks a few years ago. It didn't work.

I came home to over 1500 emails after the spam filter had thrown hundreds out.

It took days to plough through them, then started getting calls from people I hadn't replied to, so now I spend an hour per day working, usually around 7:00am when it's no problem. I usually end up using 2 x Diamond's worth.

• Like 2

It's unfortunate Cunard is so behind the times.  The trend today is faster and cheaper internet, with unlimited plans.  None of this logging on and off nonsense, and watching every minute of use.  All the major cruise lines now offer unlimited plans with varying degrees of speed and accessibility (streaming, surfing, just social media, etc), and at very reasonable pricing and faster speeds than Cunard.  Get with the times Cunard!   The same could be said of Cunard's lack of an onboard app, or even interactive TV's.  

The days of people going on a cruise to completely disconnect are over.  Yes there are some, but this is no longer the norm.  Most people need and want to stay connected even on vacation.  It's the world we live it.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the QM2 was first launched, one could use the big old TV in the stateroom to order wine, look at the menu, onboard spend etc. A shame it has not kept up with the digital age!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

When the QM2 was first launched, one could use the big old TV in the stateroom to order wine, look at the menu, onboard spend etc. A shame it has not kept up with the digital age!

Yes I remember that.  You could even create your own music playlist with a pretty great music selection.  I was really impressed and it was quite advanced for its time.  

I was told by a few in the know that Cunard decided it was too expensive to maintain, and also that their clientele were not tech savvy enough to truly appreciate it.  Personally I think it's a big mistake to underestimate your client base.  

3 hours ago, eroller said:

The days of people going on a cruise to completely disconnect are over.  Yes there are some, but this is no longer the norm.  Most people need and want to stay connected even on vacation.  It's the world we live it.  

Exactly! Other cruise lines try to make internet better even for their own sake, because people post online about their trips.

I have cruised with many lines and all of them have a good internet. Royal Caribbean is the best in this issue.

Carnival Corp has problems on all their lines, but they try to improve. On Princess they improved it well, only Cunard and HAL are still terrible. I hope one day it will improve. They probably spend all of their money on the new builds and do not care about the old ships.

I will be on Queen Victoria in May and will see how it goes. At least on that itinerary we have many port days.

3 hours ago, eroller said:

The trend today is faster and cheaper internet, with unlimited plans.  None of this logging on and off nonsense, and watching every minute of use.

Faster, yes, but I question whether it's cheaper. Royal Caribbean's value package ("Surf") is $14.99 per day. The last time I bought internet time (Cunard gives World Club members an allotment that we manage to stay within) was on Holland America and for two weeks I bought a package for under $100. Two weeks of RCL's Surf would cost over $200.

1 hour ago, CruiseRuss said:

Exactly! Other cruise lines try to make internet better even for their own sake, because people post online about their trips.

I have cruised with many lines and all of them have a good internet. Royal Caribbean is the best in this issue.

Carnival Corp has problems on all their lines, but they try to improve. On Princess they improved it well, only Cunard and HAL are still terrible. I hope one day it will improve. They probably spend all of their money on the new builds and do not care about the old ships.

I will be on Queen Victoria in May and will see how it goes. At least on that itinerary we have many port days.

Like you I sail on many lines.  Most in fact.  I get the internet on all of them and I do compare.  I agree Royal Caribbean is the best with VOOM.  It's fantastic and is the industry leader.  Reliable, reasonable, fast, and unlimited.  I love it.  I could even FaceTime from my cabin to home and the connection was just like on land, and I only purchased the Surf package.  Princess is getting better on the Medallion Class ships with much faster internet.  Also unlimited packages that are reasonably priced.  MSC is quite good too on the new ships, and NCL is really stepping up its game investing a lot in technology.  

I just sailed on the brand new NIEUW STATENDAM a couple months ago.  My last HAL cruise was almost 10 years ago and I considered them as outdated and tech challenged as Cunard.  Surely it has to do with both lines catering to a more senior crowd even though neither wants to admit it.  Anyway was I ever surprised.  HAL has come a long way.  Interactive TV's, kiosks, and a wonderful onboard app that worked like a charm and offered a lot of functionality (including checking your onboard account in real time).  Best of all was the internet.  $99 for the entire week of unlimited internet.  There was apparently a mb usage restriction per day,  but I used it all day and I was never restricted or cut off.  I do not stream so I purchased the Surf package and it was awesome.  Fast, reliable, and worked all over the ship including my cabin and the pools.  I was impressed.  HAL has recognize that technology is an important part of the cruising experience for many passengers.  I only wish Cunard would so the same.   They will have a hard time attracting future generations of cruisers unless they make some dramatic improvements.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eroller said:

Surely it has to do with both lines catering to a more senior crowd even though neither wants to admit it.

I don't think that Cunard has ever tried to hide it.   Little things like being much more formal than other lines and having a large ballroom with a live dance band instead of being a floating amusement park are kind of  give aways.  

Its all a matter of demographics.  If seniors with money to spend were not filling the cabins and coming back year after year,  Cunard/Carnival would likely change or scrap their ships to accomodate a younger generation (with lots children running wild on the decks).   There are many, many other ships that cater to that younger demographic , but these ships are a bad fit for many seniors.

It would appear that the present generation of Cunard customers has not listed the internet as a top priority in customer surveys.   This willl no doubt change over time, but for many of us, the present internet is quite adequate.  

23 minutes ago, BobBranst said:

It would appear that the present generation of Cunard customers has not listed the internet as a top priority in customer surveys.   This willl no doubt change over time, but for many of us, the present internet is quite adequate.  

Not quiet right! We are also Cunard customers and I have met many of them who really would love to go more with Cunard, and even a golden age customers need a good internet to be connected to their family.

Other lines for adults like Oceania and Azamara and Crystal have decent internet connection. Let's put it like this, I think that Cunard just do not realize how important the connection is in our times. I have a pity on their workers at the internet cafe on the ships, imagine how many complaints they get. 

But hopefully one day Cunard administration will see the importance of it and will fix the problem. I'm sure they will, because to sell cruises on 5 ships is more difficult than on 3 ships and then they will need a new rich generation for Cunard customers. And that generation will sail only if they have a great connection, because many people in our times work via internet and they can travel only if there is a good one. Just like me) 

Edited by CruiseRuss
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BobBranst said:

You obviously put more faith in Cunard's surveys than I do.  Just because people write up something in a survey doesn't mean it will happen.  The fact Cunard is so far behind with technology doesn't speak well for them, and that will have to change.  As the current demographic dies off or gets too old to travel, Cunard will have to attract new clientele.  Even more so with a new ship coming online.  They are a niche operator and frankly I'm surprised they can support another ship.  Personally I think you will see format changes when the new ship comes online.  A less formal dress code (its already been dumbed down), less structure, more speciality restaurants, and the option for open seating in the main dining room.  This is the minimum that most people demand in a cruise vacation today.  Do I want these changes?  Absolutely not.  The structure and formality is a big part of what makes Cunard, Cunard.  Make all those changes I mention and they become like every other cruise line.  Unfortunately I think it will happen, possibly starting with the new ship first and moving to the others, but I think Cunard will take steps to broaden and enlarge their potential market share.   I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.  Meanwhile technology and enhanced internet is something that all demographics can utilize and demanding more and more, and Cunard really needs to upgrade its platform.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruiseRuss said:

Not quiet right! We are also Cunard customers and I have met many of them who really would love to go more with Cunard, but even a golden age customers need a good internet to be connected to their family.

Other lines for adults like Oceania and Azamara and Crystal have decent internet connection. Let's put it like this, I think that Cunard just do not realize how important the connection is in our times. I have a pity on their workers at the internet cafe on the ships, imagine how many complaints they get. 

But hopefully one day Cunard administration will see the importance of it and will fix the problem. I'm sure they will, because to sell cruises on 5 ships is more difficult than on 3 ships and then they will need a new rich generation for Cunard customers. And that generation will sail only if they have a great connection, because many people in our times work via internet and they can travel only if there is a good one. Just like me) 

Excellent point and it fits my brother perfectly.  He loves Cunard but can't sail on them because of their internet connection.  He is a software developer and needs a somewhat decent connection (which he is willing to pay for) in order to sustain his business while away.  He found Cunard's internet entirely inadequate and has therefore pretty much written them off.  

If Cunard wants to attract future cruisers with money to burn who live a modern lifestyle, they will have to make substantial technology improvements.  Not everyone that sails on Cunard is retired with no internet concerns.  It's a changing world.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Personally I think you will see format changes when the new ship comes online.  A less formal dress code (its already been dumbed down), less structure, more speciality restaurants, and the option for open seating in the main dining room.  This is the minimum that most people demand in a cruise vacation today.  Do I want these changes?  Absolutely not.  The structure and formality is a big part of what makes Cunard, Cunard.  Make all those changes I mention and they become like every other cruise line.  Unfortunately I think it will happen, possibly starting with the new ship first and moving to the others, but I think Cunard will take steps to broaden and enlarge their potential market share.   I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.  Meanwhile technology and enhanced internet is something that all demographics can utilize and demanding more and more, and Cunard really needs to upgrade its platform.  

There is no way that either of us can possibly know what will happen with this still unbuilt ship.   If (which I doubt) the new ship were to have the changes you suggest, it would more likey be confined to an area where casual dress is the norm.   Such a ship might be permanently stationed in growing Australia market , which does not have a long history of classic ocean crossing formality.   If Cunard were to become just like every other line, I would have no reason to voyage with Cunard.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Based on entirely zero information, I predict that QE will move to the Australian and/or Asian market and the new ship will sail closer to Southampton.

This would not surprise me either.   Honestly I don't think Cunard has a large enough market share within its typical base (UK, Germany, North America) to support a 4th ship.  They are very popular in Australia these days so a ship dedicated to that market seems like a logical step.   Either that or make some of the changes I mentioned to enlarge the market share and make Cunard more attractive to a larger base.  Of course doing that would alienate the existing market share that likes it just the way it is.