How is whale-watching in May?

PittsburghNative

I heard that whale-watching gets better as you go into the summer months. For those that have done whale-watching tours in May, will I see much? I understand there are “whale sighting guarantees,” but I would hate to just see one or two on a trip. I’ll be taking a tour in Juneau.

Edited by PittsburghNative

I have had great whale watching in May. More so, my May whale watching have been superior to my July whale watching trips. Every day and every hour can be different. I have gone 2x in one day and one whale watching trip was superior than the other.

Many whales begin arriving in Alaska in April so in early May, they are still very hungry after their summer without food.  New calves are very frisky.  Most of my Alaska whale watching has been in early May with lots of good photographs.

image.png.307c2ba569c2f5b655f6d6b013a8aa50.png

image.png.75b696656a6e8069efc76f6c5cde056b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree!  We had fantastic whale watching at Icy Strait Point in May.   Our guide told us exactly what Crew News said, the whales have just arrived back from Hawaii and are very hungry.  They don't feed for 5 months while gone so they have a lot of catching up to do.  We saw several groups bubble net feeding, it was amazing!

DSC06221.1.jpg

DSC06229.1.jpg

DSC06197.1.jpg

Edited by QueenofEverything
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

By the end of May migration is finished.    A bonus of May,  is possibly catching feeding at Dixon Passage.    There also are humpbacks that do not migrate.    

A typical whale watch is sightings of Humpbacks-    with blows,  backs and tails.   Expect NOTHING more.   Some people have unrealistic expectations.   In my opinion,  those who are looking for more, need to invest a lot of time and money and go out several times.    I've gone entire seasons with no bubble netting - above example.     Last season,  I  saw it every trip-  5.  times.   :)     You are given a small window of  regular "life" of whales.   :)   

Here is a slideshow from our whale watching tour in Juneau May 2009.  We have been 3 times since - all in May, but this early May trip was one of the best. No Bubble feeding, but a ton of breeches - even several Orcas. Every time is different. Harv and Marv do a good job.

Edited by lightasafeather
fixed text
  • Like 2

We just returned from our cruise on the Norwegian Joy today. Whale watching in Juneau was amazing. We saw at least 10 humpback whales and we were lucky enough to see a young calf jump out of the water about 20 times in a 30 minute period. He/she was putting on quite the show for us.  We also watched a pod of Orca’s for about 20 minutes. I highly recommend booking the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest excursion. The crew were informative and worked hard to make sure we had a great time on the excursion.