transportation Greenock to glasgow

cruisingsfun

My husband and I will be on the Journey Bagpipes & Shamrocks cruise in July.  Does anyone know if Azamara will provide free shuttles to Glasgow?  If not, any recommendations on how to get to Glasgow, or any tour operators that you would recommend.  Thanks for any help.  Gail

It’s about 27 miles from Greenock to Glasgow so I very much doubt there would be a free shuttle. You can get the train, this takes 30-40 minutes and they run about four times an hour.

i hope you enjoy your cruise 🙂

Edited by DebbieMacG

There are 2 rail stations in Greenock.....G West and G Central.

The best plan is walk (about 15 minutes) to Greenock West, directions as follows:

Come out of Ocean Terminal, and you should be on Patrick Street. Cross the highway at the traffic lights and continue walking up Patrick Street (with the water behind you). At the top of this street, Finnart Street crosses it (it is the 4th junction - the first one being Union Street with the lights). Turn left into Finnart Street, pass the college. Turn Right into Nelson Street. Take the Next left into Newton street and this will lead you round to the rail station.

The train terminates in Glasgow Central, perfect for exploring the city. The return train you need is for Gourock, and Greenock West is two stops before Gourock.

Once at Glasgow Central Station (lovely iconic station, a clock you meet up under 🙂 ) you can pick up a good hop on hop off tour. Glasgow is rather spread out and maps are deceptive there are some pretty steep hills so the tour can help you get around 

Cruisingsfun -- my husband and I are also on this cruise with Perry Golf (and did this same cruise -- only a slightly different itinerary in 2016) and just wanted to mention in case you didn't see it, that AZ does offer a "Glasgow on your own" bus transportation for a day in Glasgow.  Or . . . if you wanted to arrange independent transportation, I would be interested in joining as my husband will be off golfing . . .

Hi everyone.  I would take the train into town. The Motorway (freeway) you use to get from Greenock into Glasgow can be a nightmare with congestion,  particularly after the airport.  One accident or breakdown causes havoc. 

The HOHO is a good option as suggested,  and there is a Metro which essentially does a circle around the city.  Its a good and cheap way to get around and is safe.  http://www.spt.co.uk/

If you're into Art / Architecture there are some amazing galleries and buildings.  https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums

Check Tripadvisor for specific ratings.

Last bit of advice.  Bring a brolly!  Have a great trip.

David

Edited by 150edmiston
  • Like 1

When we did the British Open cruise in 2017, someone from our roll call arranged a private tour with Guided Tours of Scotland.  It was an enjoyable tour.

https://www.guidedtoursofscotland.com/DAY-TOURS-FROM-GLASGOW.html

Although you didn't ask about Invergordon, another member of the roll call arranged a private tour with Nigel and it was very good (I liked this one a bit better than the one in Greenock).

http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

We found a small company www.clascottishtours.com who took us on a fantastic tour of Glasgow. There was 6 of us so great value (The car holds 8 passengers).

We were also worried about possible traffic mentioned in an earlier thread but made sure we returned to ship earlier.

Greenock is worth seeing. The port offers some free tours that are interesting. Think about spending some time locally. Check out the free tours online. Greenock has lots of nice souveniors in the terminal. Glasgow is just a big city.

21 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Greenock is worth seeing. The port offers some free tours that are interesting. Think about spending some time locally. Check out the free tours online. Greenock has lots of nice souveniors in the terminal. Glasgow is just a big city.

An alert, from a  'local'.....Greenock is awful, Glasgow is a very nice city to sight see and explore!!

• Like 1