Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

23 hours ago, DaniMSCRoyal_85 said:

Royal Caribbean released a new episode on making Icon of the Seas and revealed the new ship's major goals:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/08/18/royal-caribbean-outlines-the-5-goals-its-bold-new-cruise-ship

Thanks, I found that very interesting.  #5 should be at the #1 spot IMHO.  The quality (or lack of it) of the food has been a main focus in almost every thread on Cruise Critic.  Extremely important how the quality of food has suffered over the years.  The cooking of that food is of less importance to me.  The quality is key.  I expect the freshest ingredients, the most tender meats etc.  If they can address that on ICON, I will be there.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dalee21860 said:

They have never said larger in what way. Gross tonnage,  length, height 

4 hours ago, Panda Monium said:

A lot of GT suggestions floating around.

Someone showed me this a short while ago...

20220820_051907.thumb.jpg.7ecb0f7338674f80bdac280306031551.jpg

If those numbers are to be believed as @Lloyd555hinted at it should be bigger, longer and wider. But historically royal uses biggest as referring to gross tonnage. When freedom of the seas came out it was the “biggest” cruise ship in the world but wasn’t the longest or tallest that was the qm2

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dalee21860 said:

They have never said larger in what way. Gross tonnage,  length, height 

As GT is the measure used to call a ship "The biggest ship in the world" surpassing the Oasis Class I have to suspect that's what the VP of Hotel Operations was referring to in this article from May. Each successive Oasis ship has been dubbed the "biggest ship in the world" based on GT.

"As reported by Travel Weekly, the Senior Vice President of Hotel Operations, Sean Treacy, confirmed, “Icon will be the biggest. It launches in the fall of next year and will be the first new ship class for Royal in a decade,” Sean Treacy said. It was further confirmed by a spokesperson for the cruise line, who said: “Icon-class ships will be bigger than our Oasis-class.”

https://www.cruisehive.com/icon-of-the-seas-will-surpass-oasis-class-ships-as-biggest-in-the-world/71772

• Like 2

part of me is slightly worried about the concept of the aquadome... If the front of the ship becomes an entertainment venue, where will the solarium/adult area be? if they are meant to occupy the same space, then I'm worried that some of the infrastructure required for the entertainment aspect might take away from the relaxing airy feel of the classic RCL solarium. Does anyone know more?

8 minutes ago, cruising.person said:

part of me is slightly worried about the concept of the aquadome... If the front of the ship becomes an entertainment venue, where will the solarium/adult area be? if they are meant to occupy the same space, then I'm worried that some of the infrastructure required for the entertainment aspect might take away from the relaxing airy feel of the classic RCL solarium. Does anyone know more?

It appears as if the Solarium is likely in the forward portion of the AquaDome.

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Thanks, I found that very interesting.  #5 should be at the #1 spot IMHO.  The quality (or lack of it) of the food has been a main focus in almost every thread on Cruise Critic.  Extremely important how the quality of food has suffered over the years.  The cooking of that food is of less importance to me.  The quality is key.  I expect the freshest ingredients, the most tender meats etc.  If they can address that on ICON, I will be there.

Totally agree!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ljwiphone said:

Does anyone know when the next episode of making an icon will drop? If they are doing it weekly it should be today.

I believe that it is monthly. The next one will probably be around the time of the deployment release, w/c 12th September. 

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Here is a nice video. It is not recent, but still great to watch.

Awfully close! 😳

Got a glimpse into Central Park, which we can't see for a while unless Royal or Meyer Turku (employees) post something

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 2