Naples-Ravello-Amalfi-Positano-Capri-Naples- Possible in 11 hours?

tbenson81

So our cruise arrives in Naples on October 10th and we have been exploring all of the options to see the Amalfi Coast. We prefer to do this on our own so we do it an our own pace. We have 11 hours from 7am -6pm to be back to the ship.  The options we have examined include trains, ferries, private drivers , city bus,  etc. The option we are leaning towards is to take a taxi from Naples Cruise port to Ravello (via the mountain pass). We plan to spend maybe 30 minutes in Ravello and then 30 more in the village of Amalfi just walking around and getting a feel for the village and then have the driver drop us in Positano where we plan to spend a few hours and have lunch.  Google maps shows total drive time for this route as 2 hours and if we spent 30 minutes in Ravello and Amalfi, (Factor in an extra hour for traffic and photostops etc) and we are in Positano by 11am. We plan on exploring Positano for a couple hours and then taking the water ferry around 1 or 2 oclock to Capri. Its a 30 minute ferry ride so that puts us in Capri at 230. We would then have several hours there until we take a ferry 5:00pm (50 minutes) back to Naples.

I realize this is probably aggressive and many might think its rushed but we are fast paced people. We like to take in the sites and see as much as we can in a short amount of time rather than soak in one place for hours. My question is basically- has anyone attempted a similar itinerary and is it realistic that we can accomplish this in 11 hours? To us it seems like the best of both worlds where we can experience driving the amalfi coast,  seeing ravello, amalfi and positano but also experience the coast from the sea as we ferry to capri and then back to naples.

Hopefully some fellow worldly travelers can share some insight into this prospective itinerary and point out any pitfalls or things we might be overlooking. If anyone has made a similar day trip, that would be appreciated as well. Thank you

I did do the afternoon only in Capri several years ago on a port stop because my aunt wanted to take her grandchildren to the Blue Grotto while the rest of us wanted to visit our family parish in the morning, so I know it can be done.  It was kind of a waste of time and money, in my opinion, to go out to Capri just for a couple of hours but it's your time and your money.

Have you tried to arrange a car service for the morning?  October is a little less busy so you may find one willing to take a half day job, during the summer it's pretty much full day or nothing.

Regarding the driving time estimates, google is way wrong on that.  It will take longer than you are anticipating but it can be done, it just means shorter stops.

Also, ferry service between Positano and Capri is fairly limited, there's a ferry at 10:25 AM and the next one isn't until 2 PM.  Check here for schedules:  https://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule?from=positano&to=capri#

Let's try a more realistic look at your schedule:

Assuming your ship arrives on time and is quickly cleared, and that you are one of the first ones off and find your driver quickly, let's say you are on the road by 7:15 AM.

7:15 - 8:45 (assumes no unusual traffic or accidents) drive to Ravello.

8:45 - 9:15   Visit Ravello.  I'm not sure what you'll do there at this hour, not much is open yet.  It takes about 15 minutes to walk to Villa Cimbrone and it doesn't open until 9, so you really can't go there.  You'd really only be able to wander around the center of town, maybe into a shop or two that happen to open early.

9:15 - 9:45  Drive to Amalfi

9:45 - 10:30  Visit Amalfi

10:30 - 11:15  Drive to Positano  (again, assumes normal traffic)

So it works, but the visits to Ravello and Amalfi are awfully abbreviated and everything assumes nothing goes wrong along the way.

I think the trick for days like this one are to agree ahead of time what you'd drop if you start falling behind the schedule.   If you're not willing to drop Capri you may have to choose just two of the coast towns.

Edited by euro cruiser

I understand that you like to fit a lot into your time.

However, one thing you may be overlooking is how much of your limited time you're going to be spending "in transit" during your day versus actually being somewhere and doing something.

By the estimates given, of your 11 hours in port, you're going to spend a minimum of about 5 hours of that getting from one place to another. It seems like too much to me....

• Like 1

The thing with Google maps is that timings are always based on you doing the maximum speed for any journey.  I never match their timing.  

I do not see the point of arriving in Capri at 2.30 only to back at the port area 2 hours later (You need to be sure that you are there on time - if you miss your transport back to Naples it would be a very expensive day out).    

Bottom line - if you want to enjoy your day you have to choose either the Amalfi Coast or Capri.  

I'm embarrassed to say that I share your zip-zip-zip philosophy, :classic_wink:

The drive out of Naples at that hour should be tolerably easy, and much of the rest of the drive is extremely scenic although sometimes very slow. Yes, to Ravello take the winding road across the spine of the peninsula.

For me, Ravello is for the views - and in any case as per Eurocruiser's post you'll be too early for inside visits. Treat Ravello as photo-stops.

Amalfi is hardly a "village", but it's compact & easy to walk.

Drive time from Amalfi to Positano is the most difficult part to estimate because of traffic variations.

Your time in Positano will be what it will be. 

You can make a half-decent fist of Capri in a couple of hours. From port up to village by funicular (or by taxi if the line is too long) and from the edge of the village take in the amazing vertical cliff views down to the sea. To get best value out of your time on Capri you won't want to waste time there for snacks or shopping. Which also means you get best value out of your money - prices on Capri are very heavy.

Advice used to be to buy tickets for the ferry back to Naples as soon as you arrive on Capri because popular ferry times can book-out. I don't know if that's still the case (EuroCruiser ?)

Much depends on the timing of the ferry from Positano to Capri. As per EuroCruiser's post they're very infrequent.

I suggest you keep open the option to skip Capri, depending how the earlier part of the day goes - if you're unhappy that you're rushing too much or it becomes clear that you'll not make the ferry to Capri, you can slow down & give the mainland coast more time.

Research the prospects and timings of a ferry from Positano to Naples (I think they only run in summer months. EuroCruiser again?). And research ferry times Sorrento to Naples (a little more frequent) and get the driver to take you to Sorrento.

That will involve a bit of re-negotiating with the car operator or driver, but should add little more than the driver's waiting time at Positano since Sorrento is on the car's way back to Naples.

You used the words "take a taxi from Naples CruisePort..............." 

This is something you need to get quotes and book in advance with a private tour operator.  It's not like ports in the Caribbean or Asia - taxis available on spec at the port are likely to be super-expensive for that tour :classic_laugh:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

When we stayed in Sorrento for a land holiday,years ago,we got a bus to Amalfi via Positano.One problem was a landslide halfway when we had to get off one bus,walk awhile and then wait for another bus the other side.We came back on the high speed ferry from Amalfi to Sorrento,about 1 hr.Ferries to Capri also run from Sorrento.Lots of permutations and research there,good luck.

Thank you everyone for their insight and expertise.  When researching taxi's - I found that Naples utilizes a fixed rate to Ravello which is 135 Euros. That didn't seem too terrible. I believe they run through October. It sounds like it would be wise to look into private drivers as well especially if we decided to skip Capri. After reading the comments, I think we might opt to just skip Capri all together and spend more time in the coastal towns.  We probably just need to spend more time researching exactly what we would look to see. Maybe we just take the train to Salerno - ferry to Positano (skipping Amalfi and Ravello) and then ferry to Carpi and Naples and skip the driving all together.  This would take traffic, land slides etc out of the equation as that seems to be a big variable. However - it seems like a big part of experiencing the Amalfi coast comes from driving at least part of the way. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Edited by tbenson81

When I first saw the topic I thought it was somebody's idea of humor (humour for you Brits).  But alas, it is not April 1.  Can it be done?  Yes, assuming there are no delays anywhere along the way.  It would make more sense by eliminating Capri.  Taking the 5 pm ferry is truly nutz as ferries can be delayed for a myriad of reason.  And once back at Naples you still need time to walk from the ferry pier back to the ship.  The reality of Capri is you would have less time then you think.  To take that 5 pm ferry you would really need to be down to the pier area by around 4:30 (perhaps 4:40).  And that amount of time on Capri really limits (in a big way) what you can see.    

We do understand those who want to cram a lot into a short time (we have done it ourselves when we were young and crazy) and it can be fun!  Taking Capri out of the mix makes it very doable (especially if you want to have time to enjoy lunch).  

One related tale.  A few years ago DW and I planned a crazy day (from Naples) with a rental car (we have a lot of experience driving in Europe).  We picked up our car in Naples and drove all the way to Paestum.  From there, we took our time exploring the coast back towards Salerno and stopped for lunch.  We then drove on to Amalfi and spent about an hour and then decided to drive up to Ravello.  We took our time in Ravello, thinking we would just drive the back route (mentioned by the OP) back to Naples in time for dinner on our ship.  But when we got about 30 min out of Ravello we ran into a road block because there had just been a landslide that blocked the route.  So we did a 180, drove back to Ravello, down to Amalfi and then used the Amalfi drive to get back to Naples.  By this time it was dark and we did not get back to our ship until 9:45 (we had planned on being back by 6:30).  Fortunately our ship was overnighting in Naples or we would have missed the ship.  I mention this because things can and do go wrong in Italy.  A simple auto accident on a route can cause hours of back up as the Italians are not the most efficient at dealing with this kind of thing.  

My final advice to the OP is that if you do follow your plan, have a good "Plan B" to catch up to your ship the following day (assuming this is possible).   That 5:00 ferry is very risky (time wise) and once you commit to that ferry you have no alternatives that can get you back to Naples.  With an accident or closed road a good driver might (and we emphasize might) be able to find an alternate route (the routes in this part of Italy are very limited).  But if your ferry is late, the seas kick up and slow down the boat, high winds cause a delay, etc.   you will be stuck in either Naples or Capri needing to get to your ship at the following port.

Hank

P.S.  A few years ago we came up with a term for this kind of travel.  We called it the "If it's Tuesday it Must be Belgium" Syndrome.  For those that remember that old movie is was all good fun.

Thanks again everyone. I do very much appreciate the experiences and expertise of everyone. The more and more I read though, it is sounding like the Amalfi drive might not be as enjoybale as I once thought. What are everyone's thoughts on skipping the driving all together? Early morning train down to Salerno - ferry to Positano - ferry to Capri and ferry back to Naples?.  I understand that ferrys can be delayed also but it seems like they are a little more reliable than driving.

We are first time visitors so are having a hard time deciding whether to eliminate Capri or eliminate Ravello and Amalfi.

Hlitner - I guess the one good thing in the event that we missed our ship is that Naples is our final port and we arrive in Civitavecchia the following morning at 5am. We absolutely dont want to miss the ship but if we did, it could be worse. I guess we would have to make it back to Civitavecchia to collect our luggage from the ship.

I'm one that finds the Amalfi coast drive overrated, but then I'm not one for looking at scenery out of a window. Plus, the traffic has changed what was once a pleasant (if slightly hair-raising) drive into one that is highly trafficked and regimented.

Capri vs. Ravello and Amalfi -- very much a personal choice. I could easily spend an entire day on Capri and wonder if you would be short-changing yourselves to do only a bit of it. What interests you in Capri?  As has been posted elsewhere recently, trying to do the Blue Grott + the Mt. Solaro chairlift + a little general looking around in Capri Town might be pushing it for a full day, let alone half day. There's also a great hike from Capri Town up to Villa Jovis (ruined Roman villa) with incredible views.

It's good to always keep a "what if" plan in your head. Getting from Naples to Rome (or Civitavecchia) would be pretty painless as far as getting to the next port is concerned. If for some reason you are running late, have the phone number for the port agent with you so they are aware of the situation.

The drive down to the Amalfi Coast involves mountain driving which others have alluded to.  We did a private tour with a similar itinerary:  Ercolano (Herculaneum, hit by Vesuvius eruption; Sorrento (where we had lunch and shopped); the Amalfi Coast.  A very full day and fortunately no "hiccups" like landslides, etc.  You can't actually drive into Amalfi--you park "above" it, as I recall, and walk down.  And it's also downhill through Amalfi to the waterfront (and, of course, back uphill to the car, bus, etc.)

Edited by BarbinMich

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, tbenson81 said:

Thanks again everyone. I do very much appreciate the experiences and expertise of everyone. The more and more I read though, it is sounding like the Amalfi drive might not be as enjoybale as I once thought. What are everyone's thoughts on skipping the driving all together? Early morning train down to Salerno - ferry to Positano - ferry to Capri and ferry back to Naples?.  I understand that ferrys can be delayed also but it seems like they are a little more reliable than driving.

We are first time visitors so are having a hard time deciding whether to eliminate Capri or eliminate Ravello and Amalfi.

Hlitner - I guess the one good thing in the event that we missed our ship is that Naples is our final port and we arrive in Civitavecchia the following morning at 5am. We absolutely dont want to miss the ship but if we did, it could be worse. I guess we would have to make it back to Civitavecchia to collect our luggage from the ship.

We did the Naple-Ravello-Amalfi-Positano drive with a tour group of 8 people in 2015 and it was great.  I would not suggest adding Capri in to the mix.  Last May my hubby, sister and BIL stayed in Sorrento and drove to the Salerno ferry and did the ferry from Salerno-Amalfi-Positano and back.  We didn't want to bother with the drive for a day trip.  LOVED the ferry.  The view from the road was great, but the views and the experience from the ferry was amazing!! And cheap!

I would totally recommend taking the train to Salerno if you can do it that way and doing the ferry ride!  Highlight for sure!  We had no problem with ferries running late.  Just make sure you buy your tickets early.  We got off the ferry and bought the next leg right away so it didn't sell out.

Edited by Nicagal

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, BarbinMich said:

The drive down to the Amalfi Coast involves mountain driving which others have alluded to.  We did a private tour with a similar itinerary:  Ercolano (Herculaneum, hit by Vesuvius eruption; Sorrento (where we had lunch and shopped); the Amalfi Coast.  A very full day and fortunately no "hiccups" like landslides, etc.  You can't actually drive into Amalfi--you park "above" it, as I recall, and walk down.  And it's also downhill through Amalfi to the waterfront (and, of course, back uphill to the car, bus, etc.)

Thought we should correct this post to benefit future readers.  When you talk about driving "down" into Amalfi we think you actually mean the city of Positano.  Amalfi (which is a few miles east of Positano is not very hilly and has parking along a pier across the road from the main entrance of the town.  As to Positano, cars and regular size vans can drive down into the city where there is some parking in a few expensive parking lots and also very limited on the street parking.  Tour buses cannot drive into Positano.

Hank

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Thought we should correct this post to benefit future readers.  When you talk about driving "down" into Amalfi we think you actually mean the city of Positano.  Amalfi (which is a few miles east of Positano is not very hilly and has parking along a pier across the road from the main entrance of the town.  As to Positano, cars and regular size vans can drive down into the city where there is some parking in a few expensive parking lots and also very limited on the street parking.  Tour buses cannot drive into Positano.

Hank

Point well taken--I should have said Amalfi Coast or Positano specifically.  FWIW, we were in a van, not a tourist bus, as this was a private excursion for 8-10 people.  Perhaps it was an "extended" van as we did not drive into Positano, but parked "above" it and walked down.  If one wants to walk all the way to the seafront, it's somewhat steep (not to be done in heels <g>) and worse going back up to the parking lot.  Our group had several who found it difficult, especially going back up.

Edited by BarbinMich

3 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Point well taken--I should have said Amalfi Coast or Positano specifically.  FWIW, we were in a van, not a tourist bus, as this was a private excursion for 8-10 people.  Perhaps it was an "extended" van as we did not drive into Positano, but parked "above" it and walked down.  If one wants to walk all the way to the seafront, it's somewhat steep (not to be done in heels <g>) and worse going back up to the parking lot.  Our group had several who found it difficult, especially going back up.

Yep, that is quite a steep walk from the water up to the Amalfi Drive.  What many day tourists do not know is that is a small local bus (we call it the Orange bus because it is Orange) that runs a route from near the bottom up to the Amalfi Drive.  Many of the workers in the town will park their car along the Amalfi Drive and use the bus to get back and forth to work.  When we stay nearby in Praiano, we leave our car parked at the hotel and use another Orange bus route if we want to head over to Positano for dinner or shopping.

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The internal bus line is run by Mobility Amalfi Coast, you can see the schedule on their Facebook page here:  

Amazing that you actually found that schedule :).  For those of us who vacation on the coast it will always just be, "The Orange Bus."   Saying "Mobility Amalfi Coast" is just not as sexy ).

Hank

9 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It is a goofy name, and all in English.

For travelers, note that the current schedule is only through June 15th.

That is really weird when you consider that those Orange buses are used more by the locals then tourists.  

Hank