Such lovely people cruise Celebrity!

chemmo

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Sitting in the hot tub with my friend having some beverages while our wives were exploring the ship. Out of the blue he asks, "hey what time is it?" So I tell him and he looks at me and says, "we got to go NOW. I forgot I booked the two of us at the wine tasting." We find our wives and tell them. I ask about dress code and he tells me that it is casual.
We get to the event and everyone is dressed up. We, are in swim suites and silly t-shirts with flipflops. The sommelier who I had met the day before (great guy) is walking around explaining the wine tasting. As he passes by our table, he leans over and says to me, "nice of you to get so dressed up." And then punches me playfully on the shoulder.  He continued to tease me through the event.

Nothing like a little smile and teasing as you munch the cracker, bit of cheese and grape 😎

• Haha 1

Here's a case of lovely people and lovely crew. I was sitting on our balcony on Infinity one early afternoon peacefully enjoying my book and cold drink when DH decided to join me. He opened the sliding door, stepped out, then closed the door. It didn't occur to him from the loud creaking noise and difficulty of pulling the door closed behind him (he's freakishly strong) that anything was amiss and before I could say anything, the door was closed. When I got up a bit later to get some ice, I realized he'd managed to close the LOCKED sliding door and we were trapped on the balcony with no way back inside. It was a sea day of course, when most passengers were at the pool, lectures, trivia, bingo, art auctions, wine tastings....you get the picture. When we finished laughing it occurred to us we'd be there for quite a while since we'd left the Do Not Disturb sign out. We finally resorted to calling out to see if anyone nearby was on their balcony, and neighbors answered and volunteered to find our cabin steward, who then came into our room (laughing hysterically), unlocked and opened the door and let us back in. She laughed each time she saw us for the next two weeks, as did the rescue assisting fellow passengers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Here's a case of lovely people and lovely crew. I was sitting on our balcony on Infinity one early afternoon peacefully enjoying my book and cold drink when DH decided to join me. He opened the sliding door, stepped out, then closed the door. It didn't occur to him from the loud creaking noise and difficulty of pulling the door closed behind him (he's freakishly strong) that anything was amiss and before I could say anything, the door was closed. When I got up a bit later to get some ice, I realized he'd managed to close the LOCKED sliding door and we were trapped on the balcony with no way back inside. It was a sea day of course, when most passengers were at the pool, lectures, trivia, bingo, art auctions, wine tastings....you get the picture. When we finished laughing it occurred to us we'd be there for quite a while since we'd left the Do Not Disturb sign out. We finally resorted to calling out to see if anyone nearby was on their balcony, and neighbors answered and volunteered to find our cabin steward, who then came into our room (laughing hysterically), unlocked and opened the door and let us back in. She laughed each time she saw us for the next two weeks, as did the rescue assisting fellow passengers.

This is more related to really nice fellow passengers and is related to your experience.  We were in an aft facing cabin once and had reservations to go to some event onboard.  I just remember being dressed up when lo and behold, we got locked inside our cabin!!  I kid you not, we couldn't get out of our cabin through the door.  

We called the guest services desk but the maintenance crew was all busy and they would get to it as soon as they were available.  We just needed out ... hahaha!!  

Well, we were banging on our door when we saw our room steward walk ... we could see him through the peephole ... but he just ignored it.  It makes me laugh to wonder what he was thinking?  I know he could hear us!!  Anyway, our neighbors finally returned to their cabin (we saw them walk by through that peep hole) and so we called them.  They then met us out on the balcony so we could have them go get the room steward to try to open our door from the outside.  No luck ... we were stuck.  Now, the room steward is also on our neighbor's balcony so we asked him to get the key to unlock the balcony divider so we could get out.  

Our neighbors were so nice and even said we could have a key to their room so we could go in and out between their room ... even if it were in the middle of the night.  OMG ... I am not sure I would be that trusting of somebody we just met.  But, luckily, it didn't come to that.  It ends up that they tried to fix it while we were out for the evening but our door couldn't be locked so we couldn't leave anything of value laying around but, at least we could get in and out until they could get a part to fix it.  They must have picked up the part in port or from an unused door a couple of days later because they were finally able to repair it ... good as new.  But, the point being .. there was a neighbor that was willing to let us traipse through their room at any hour of the day or night was really a sweet offer.  And, we always have a funny story to tell about the day we were locked in our stateroom. Oh ... btw, we had a very nice bottle of wine that was sent to our cabin from guest services as well.  

• Like 2

*We* were the nice people on our cruise!

Half way through the cruise one of our group of 8 noticed a nice looking slightly older gentleman was dining by himself in the MDR, so she asked if we should invite him to join us. We agreed so she asked him over. Fred is from Germany and a very experienced cruiser but his wife passed away only 5 months ago. He decided to go on the booked cruise by himself anyway to continue their tradition. Fred's English wasn't strong but our German was almost no existent. We enjoyed his company and he's a great dancer. It was a privilege to adopt him for the second half of our cruise and was a warm and fuzzy feeling to do so. A small kindness pays both ways and we have a new friend.

Interesting note: we saw a couple of German Aida ships in port. Fred said he never went on the German marketed cruises as the he reckons the Germans complain all the time!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is a nice thread and full of positive stories.  So refreshing.  I am very glad that some are also sharing positive stories about the crew as well.  IMO the crew is generally awesome pretty much every day on every Celebrity ship that I have sailed.

Totally agree...Being looked after by caring staff and meeting lovely interesting people is what it is all about...

19 hours ago, Mike981 said:

We get to the event and everyone is dressed up. We, are in swim suites and silly t-shirts with flipflops. The sommelier who I had met the day before (great guy) is walking around explaining the wine tasting. As he passes by our table, he leans over and says to me, "nice of you to get so dressed up." And then punches me playfully on the shoulder.  He continued to tease me through the event.

It is lovely when a member of staff not only had the knack to put people at easy but has a good sense of humour too. On one of my ‘crutches’ cruises the bar tender at the sunset bar would say as we settled down for a last drink “I didn’t expect to see you tonight, I thought you would be dancing”....

9 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

We once spoke to fellow guests who did the same...They said it hadn’t been too much of a problem as they had, fortunately, taken their champagne and ice bucket out on the balcony with them! They also alerted a neighbour who helped release them when they had run out of champagne....

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

But, the point being .. there was a neighbor that was willing to let us traipse through their room at any hour of the day or night was really a sweet offer.  And, we always have a funny story to tell about the day we were locked in our stateroom. Oh ... btw, we had a very nice bottle of wine that was sent to our cabin from guest services as well.  

What lovely neighbours! 

What a difference in our memories the kindness of others promotes. Instead of you remembering being locked in your room and having a faulty lock for several days as a ‘negative’ it is something you remember with fun and laughter....

So pleased guest services sent a bottle of wine too... I hope you didn’t then get locked on your balcony drinking it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johno1234 said:

A small kindness pays both ways and we have a new friend

You are so right...

Again one of the joys of cruising is meeting fellow guests from a range of different backgrounds and cultures...

Friendliness and kindness are priceless....

11 hours ago, johno1234 said:

*We* were the nice people on our cruise!

Half way through the cruise one of our group of 8 noticed a nice looking slightly older gentleman was dining by himself in the MDR, so she asked if we should invite him to join us. We agreed so she asked him over. Fred is from Germany and a very experienced cruiser but his wife passed away only 5 months ago. He decided to go on the booked cruise by himself anyway to continue their tradition. Fred's English wasn't strong but our German was almost no existent. We enjoyed his company and he's a great dancer. It was a privilege to adopt him for the second half of our cruise and was a warm and fuzzy feeling to do so. A small kindness pays both ways and we have a new friend.

Interesting note: we saw a couple of German Aida ships in port. Fred said he never went on the German marketed cruises as the he reckons the Germans complain all the time!

I believe we may have met the same gentleman on a different cruise in 2017 or 2018.  We met a German widower who was sailing alone.  Since we were doing Select dining we had dinner with him only one evening.  He was a very nice but quiet man.

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

This is more related to really nice fellow passengers and is related to your experience.  We were in an aft facing cabin once and had reservations to go to some event onboard.  I just remember being dressed up when lo and behold, we got locked inside our cabin!!  I kid you not, we couldn't get out of our cabin through the door.  

We called the guest services desk but the maintenance crew was all busy and they would get to it as soon as they were available.  We just needed out ... hahaha!!  

Well, we were banging on our door when we saw our room steward walk ... we could see him through the peephole ... but he just ignored it.  It makes me laugh to wonder what he was thinking?  I know he could hear us!!  Anyway, our neighbors finally returned to their cabin (we saw them walk by through that peep hole) and so we called them.  They then met us out on the balcony so we could have them go get the room steward to try to open our door from the outside.  No luck ... we were stuck.  Now, the room steward is also on our neighbor's balcony so we asked him to get the key to unlock the balcony divider so we could get out.  

Our neighbors were so nice and even said we could have a key to their room so we could go in and out between their room ... even if it were in the middle of the night.  OMG ... I am not sure I would be that trusting of somebody we just met.  But, luckily, it didn't come to that.  It ends up that they tried to fix it while we were out for the evening but our door couldn't be locked so we couldn't leave anything of value laying around but, at least we could get in and out until they could get a part to fix it.  They must have picked up the part in port or from an unused door a couple of days later because they were finally able to repair it ... good as new.  But, the point being .. there was a neighbor that was willing to let us traipse through their room at any hour of the day or night was really a sweet offer.  And, we always have a funny story to tell about the day we were locked in our stateroom. Oh ... btw, we had a very nice bottle of wine that was sent to our cabin from guest services as well.  

Are you sure you were not to be quarantined? LOL

Happy it worked out for you....

bon voyage

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:42 AM, Luvcrusn said:

I'm so glad you started this thread. Three years ago we were waiting in line to board our cruise and I noticed a woman wearing a button that said " DON'T POSTPONE JOY." I commented what a lovely thought it conveyed and she took it off and gave it to me. She explained that her late husband had that as his motto and that after he passed she and her children had these buttons made up as a tribute to him. They wear them daily and pass them out to whoever notices and comments about them. Two years later I saw her again on board and there were two of us wearing the button. 

who doesn't want to be surrounded by positive people like her? Thank you !

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I remember being on the first voyage of NCL Gem.  We noticed a small annoying bee light sound when we were trying to sleep.  Richard called the desk at about 2 am.....3 men came to the door...now I'm lying in bed in the dark with 4 men ( incliding Richard) standing around the bed listening...the only thing I could see was their dials on their watches....they listened for about 15 minutes....no discussions then said they thought they knew what it was and they would get it fixed in the morning.   Apparently it had something to do with the air conditioning.  They had it fixed that morning and a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries were sent to our room with an apology note .

I can still remember the men and the darkness,,,the slight whistle...and the shinning dials....sort of kinky .....😄 LOL

Edited by myjillian
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, myjillian said:

I remember being on the first voyage of NCL Gem.  We noticed a small annoying bee light sound when we were trying to sleep.  Richard called the desk at about 2 am.....3 men came to the door...now I'm lying in bed in the dark with 4 men ( incliding Richard) standing around the bed listening...the only thing I could see was their dials on their watches....they listened for about 15 minutes....no discussions then said they thought they knew what it was and they would get it fixed in the morning.   Apparently it had something to do with the air conditioning.  They had it fixed that morning and a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries were sent to our room with an apology note .

I can still remember the men and the darkness,,,the slight whistle...and the shinning dials....sort of kinky .....😄 LOL

Having a reasonable attitude that at times things don’t work properly and seeing the funny side of situations certainly adds to the joy of cruising!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Having a reasonable attitude that at times things don’t work properly and seeing the funny side of situations certainly adds to the joy of cruising!!!!!

Your right,🤗 I can still laugh when I think of it

• Like 1

We started cruising with our sons when they were 5 & 8, so it was 1994. Our first cruise was a short lived line called American Family Cruises. The next year we went on Carnival because of their camp program. Big mistake, not our kind of crowd. The 3rd year we went on Celebrity, the Century. The main thing we noticed was the different class of people, and their behavior. Over the years, we have cruised various lines, with and without friends. More Celebrity than any other, but also Holland, Norwegian, and once each on Princess and RCCL. Some of those on HAL were very stuck up, NCL was OK, better than what you would expect at the price point, but Celebrity definitely above the others all around. 

14 hours ago, Robinsilver said:

We started cruising with our sons when they were 5 & 8, so it was 1994. Our first cruise was a short lived line called American Family Cruises. The next year we went on Carnival because of their camp program. Big mistake, not our kind of crowd. The 3rd year we went on Celebrity, the Century. The main thing we noticed was the different class of people, and their behavior. Over the years, we have cruised various lines, with and without friends. More Celebrity than any other, but also Holland, Norwegian, and once each on Princess and RCCL. Some of those on HAL were very stuck up, NCL was OK, better than what you would expect at the price point, but Celebrity definitely above the others all around. 

We haven’t cruised as many lines as you...What we find on X that makes it special is that we meet so many ‘like minded’ guests...Cruisers who like us want nice food, a relaxing atmosphere and interesting conversation....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

We haven’t cruised as many lines as you...What we find on X that makes it special is that we meet so many ‘like minded’ guests...Cruisers who like us want nice food, a relaxing atmosphere and interesting conversation....

As long as you stay away from politics and religion at least. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Robinsilver said:

As long as you stay away from politics and religion at least. 

Yes!

Or at least you keep a sense of perspective and/or  humour when either is discussed...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Yes!

Or at least you keep a sense of perspective and/or  humour when either is discussed...

Exactly!  I am good w/ most peeps as long as they are willing to accept...  "Let's agree to disagree"... 

• Thanks 1

Surely these are all exceptions? Everyone knows the typical Celeb cruiser is a flip flop treading, wife-beater wearing, french fry sneaking, finger licking, cigar smoking, chair hogging, auto-tip removing, theatre seat saving, passenger insulting, staff berating, elevator barging, wine smuggling, child hating, plastic straw sipping, beverage package sharing, multi use tonging, over-eating, disgusting, obnoxious boor, no?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

Surely these are all exceptions? Everyone knows the typical Celeb cruiser is a flip flop treading, wife-beater wearing, french fry sneaking, finger licking, cigar smoking, chair hogging, auto-tip removing, theatre seat saving, passenger insulting, staff berating, elevator barging, wine smuggling, child hating, plastic straw sipping, beverage package sharing, multi use tonging, over-eating, disgusting, obnoxious boor, no?

ROTFLMAO! OMG what a great read to start my Monday morning!

• Like 1