Buffet Service

LeCruzer

On 4/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, ray98 said:

LOL....people are scared of everything these days....it is no different than any other daily scenario in normal life where humans in large groups interact.   That could be an elevator at the hotel, a door handle at your favorite restaurant, or the credit card pin pad at the grocery store.

Practice basic hygiene and you will be fine.

Don't forget - handrails, TV remotes, cabin door knobs, etc. Everything you touch, do you really think it gets disinfected?  Yes, we all should practice basic hygiene.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:36 PM, jbethel11 said:

How do you sanitarily fill your personal water bottle then? Just asking, please do not get mad at me!

They are usually attached to water fountains. The water bottle filling station is behind the fountain part. Your bottle touches nothing the water come from above by sensor.   Most airports and college campuses have them how very helpful.

I eat at the buffets onboard quite a bit.  I've never seen adults coughing on the food or licking fingers (gross).  The only thing that bothers me is parents that let their children serve themselves - they can barely see over the counter so they spill everything and take forever to make up their minds as to what they want.  Kids at the ice cream dispenser or really gross - letting the ice cream spill over and laughing hysterically.  I don't blame the kids (unless they're teenagers and know better).  Until my daughter was old enough to behave like an adult - I never let her serve herself at a buffet.

I'm someone who lives dangerously - definitely don't worry about picking up a germ or two and agree that we need germs to build up our immune system.  Now, if I saw someone do something disgusting, I would make sure I by-pass the food that they are touching, sneezing on, coughing on, etc.  But, I don't even think about it unless I see it.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:03 PM, LeCruzer said:

Hello Cruisers,

I have a concern about some people serving themselves at the buffet.  I would like to suggest Carnival to keep the food glassed in and start serving the cruiser.  These are a few things I have witnessed.  

1. People stick their finger(s) in the food to see if it is hot or how it taste.  (take a little on your plate,taste it,  then decide if you want it) No telling where your finger(s) have been.☺️

2.  Some people let their children serve themselves, drop the serving utensil on the floor then put it back in the dish (Yuk!). (Parents please accommodate your children)

3.  People cough or sneeze on the food without covering their cough or turning away from the food. 

4.  People blow their nose over the food then pick up the utensil without ever washing or sanitizing their hands. 

I used to be a nurse and its no wonder there are reports of viruses spread on the ship.  I don't mean to come off harsh or mean, but It is not the ship with the viruses, its people that have no etiquette.  I hope the cruiseline changes how food is served up.  

All of these reasons (and more) are why we don't eat at the buffet on any cruise line.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:44 PM, coevan said:

I don't want to get beat up either, but what is wrong with holding your Tervis under the spicket without touching it. Is it any different then using a Carnival cup. We are very sanitary people.

My husband did this once and a fellow passenger yelled at him.  He sat down and told me the story.  Then, an officer came over (fellow passenger must have reported him...lol) and told him the rules.

Really ridiculous....if you hold your bottle/tumbler away from the sprigot the germs won't fly over.

Although I'm a very sanitary person, some germophobes just go too far.  They don't build up an immunity.

I see nothing wrong with filling a tumbler as long as it doesn't touch the top.  I guess not everybody is careful and they are concerned that some people will put the top of their tumbler where it does touch.  Once I read on CC that it isn't allowed, I have always used the cruise ship cup and then poured it into my tumbler.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I see nothing wrong with filling a tumbler as long as it doesn't touch the top. 

Yup....it is totally a non-issue.  The majority of fast food restaurants now have self serve drink stations.  Virtually every customer ends up getting a refill using the same cup, no one blinks an eye.  Look at how a sit down restaurant does business.  When the server takes your glass to the back for a refill it  goes straight to the fountain.  Again, no one blinks an eye and there certainly are no dramatic reactions claiming the next epidemic is near.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

Then, an officer came over (fellow passenger must have reported him...lol) and told him the rules.

What does a ship's officer have to do with filing a cup. What rules are you talking about? 

5 hours ago, coevan said:

What does a ship's officer have to do with filing a cup. What rules are you talking about? 

Sorry..."Ship's Officer" is a man in the buffet wearing a uniform (as opposed to a table cleaner) and the rules are that you aren't supposed to fill your bottle there.

Another time my husband had "grease or something" on his hand.  So he rinsed it for a few seconds at the water dispenser.  Another germophobe got all upset over that one.

I assume these people walk around with bottles of hand sanitizer just to make sure they don't "touch a germ".

2 hours ago, April42749 said:

rules are that you aren't supposed to fill your bottle there.

Where have you seen this rule? We fill our coffee thermoses every morning. We find the coffee in the buffet better and hotter then room service. 

On 5/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, April42749 said:

My husband did this once and a fellow passenger yelled at him.  He sat down and told me the story.  Then, an officer came over (fellow passenger must have reported him...lol) and told him the rules.

Really ridiculous....if you hold your bottle/tumbler away from the sprigot the germs won't fly over.

Although I'm a very sanitary person, some germophobes just go too far.  They don't build up an immunity.

You do need germs to fight other germs.

Btw, how many germaphobes are cancelling their cruise for fear of measles? 😕