Buffet Service

LeCruzer

Hello Cruisers,

I have a concern about some people serving themselves at the buffet.  I would like to suggest Carnival to keep the food glassed in and start serving the cruiser.  These are a few things I have witnessed.  

1. People stick their finger(s) in the food to see if it is hot or how it taste.  (take a little on your plate,taste it,  then decide if you want it) No telling where your finger(s) have been.☺️

2.  Some people let their children serve themselves, drop the serving utensil on the floor then put it back in the dish (Yuk!). (Parents please accommodate your children)

3.  People cough or sneeze on the food without covering their cough or turning away from the food. 

4.  People blow their nose over the food then pick up the utensil without ever washing or sanitizing their hands. 

I used to be a nurse and its no wonder there are reports of viruses spread on the ship.  I don't mean to come off harsh or mean, but It is not the ship with the viruses, its people that have no etiquette.  I hope the cruiseline changes how food is served up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having what they had before was great. On Embarkartio Day Carnival serveds Lunch in the Main Ding rooms and as well in Port Days.

That alone would benefit many now. Children would be served

Ever wonder what a Good Buffet is?

When replenishing the foods bring a new dish in and not scraping it into the old Bacteria filled dishes..

• Like 1

It's sad but true. I have seen people cough into their hands and then pick up the serving spoons on the buffet with the hand they just coughed into. Either they are completely clueless or too lazy to leave the line, use the hand sanitizer dispenser and then return to the buffet line. How many of us have seen passengers use their own drink/coffee mugs to fill up at the drink/coffee stations?? It horrifies me to see someone put these things right up against the dispenser. I will walk away and go to a different beverage station. There are signs asking that only the clean cups and mugs be used, but this is frequently ignored. Should we tell passengers not to do this when we see it happening? I would rather avoid getting someone's germs then risk getting a dirty look. Opinions?

• Like 2

Holland America used to serve everyone at the buffet on the first day. However, we were on the HAL Oosterdam in Feb. and the staff served everyone all seven days of the cruise. Liked it and it probably helps keep norovirus at bay. Just off the Carnival Miracle yesterday and ate at the buffet a couple of times and agree they should cover the food better or have the staff serve everything.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mar214 said:

It's sad but true. I have seen people cough into their hands and then pick up the serving spoons on the buffet with the hand they just coughed into. Either they are completely clueless or too lazy to leave the line, use the hand sanitizer dispenser and then return to the buffet line. How many of us have seen passengers use their own drink/coffee mugs to fill up at the drink/coffee stations?? It horrifies me to see someone put these things right up against the dispenser. I will walk away and go to a different beverage station. There are signs asking that only the clean cups and mugs be used, but this is frequently ignored. Should we tell passengers not to do this when we see it happening? I would rather avoid getting someone's germs then risk getting a dirty look. Opinions?

I had a brand new Yeti that I filled up at the drink station and a lady called me out.  I actually forgot about this but as it was brand new and had never been touched, I apologized and explained this.  I was not offended in the least bit, she was right.  From then on, I knew I would always pour into my Yeti and I did so.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

Having what they had before was great. On Embarkartio Day Carnival serveds Lunch in the Main Ding rooms and as well in Port Days.

On embarkation and port days there are other options that are not buffet.  I, personally, rarely eat in the buffet.  I will migrate towards food that is prepared and handed out (more of a quick-serve style).  Think deli, pizza, Guys, etc.

• Like 2

LOL....people are scared of everything these days....it is no different than any other daily scenario in normal life where humans in large groups interact.   That could be an elevator at the hotel, a door handle at your favorite restaurant, or the credit card pin pad at the grocery store.

Practice basic hygiene and you will be fine.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 9

I agree that buffets can be scary.  Years ago they didn't even have the platic covering that makes it so hard to get to your food or the hand sanitizer displayed.  I feel a little safer these days.

• Like 1

I eat at the buffet every cruise at least twice a day. However, I wash my hands (or use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren't nearby) after I get my food.  I have never gotten sick on a cruise ship and can't remember the last time I had anything other than a cold.  Once you handle the utensils, it's important to sanitize your hands.

• Like 1

I agree with your comments.   

Personally, we always carry the Handi-wipes individually wrapped wet wipes.  We use them AFTER we have gotten our food and drinks, because 100's of hands (some undoubtedly unwashed) have touched the serving utensils before us.   We use the salt & pepper shakers the same - wiping our hands after use.

I wouldn't mind, though, if they served us - but I don't imagine that will happen.

It was so nice to see so many finger lickers in line at the buffet two weeks ago. It was wonderful seeing them do this then grab the tongs at the next food station ....... These same people then wonder how they got norovirus and how it spreads. This wasn't on Carnival but it happens everywhere ..... Nasty clueless people. 

• Like 2

You may see people filling the Water Jugs Bottles they have too.,

I saw in a few places allowing filling of Water Jugs etc..and dispensing ability without touching the jugs/bottles.. I wonder when Cruise Ships will Install this now?

We have booked AGAIN AND i WILL LOOK FOR THESE new DEVICES. I shall be looking for these Water filling devices .Even in medical facilites I saw these now next to another American Invention, Drinking Water fountains!

1 hour ago, AAAAmerican said:

You may see people filling the Water Jugs Bottles they have too.,

I saw in a few places allowing filling of Water Jugs etc..and dispensing ability without touching the jugs/bottles.. I wonder when Cruise Ships will Install this now?

We have booked AGAIN AND i WILL LOOK FOR THESE new DEVICES. I shall be looking for these Water filling devices .Even in medical facilites I saw these now next to another American Invention, Drinking Water fountains!

How do you sanitarily fill your personal water bottle then? Just asking, please do not get mad at me!

Only complaint I have on the buffets is the bacon.

I would rather have the option to pick the bacon I want instead of what they give me.

Would also be good if they learned how to cook it, most of the bacon they have needs a few more minutes in the over to be crisp.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

we just ask for the crispy ones only, they cook them in a sheet pan and if they overlap the bacon, that portion does not get cooked

not too much crispy bacon though.

far too much under-cooked soggy bacon.

I know I'm going to burn in hades for this but thousands of people eat at buffets all around the country and I can't recall anyone dying from eating at one (could have missed one) otherwise none of them would exist. Peoples behavior is a bit disgusting sometimes but overall I doubt your chances of falling dangerously ill from eating at the buffet are that great. There are plenty of other places for germs on a ship. I don't go on a cruise to worry. But hey, that's just me.

Fire retardant suit on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

How do you sanitarily fill your personal water bottle then? Just asking, please do not get mad at me!

Grab a cup from the pile, fill it, pour into water bottle. Repeat until full.  At least that's what I do.

On one cruise I saw a guy pick up a sandwich from a plate full, looked at it, and then put it back on the plate.  My filter does not work, so I said what my brain was thinking.... Really? You're going to pick up a sandwich with your bare hands, then put it back? Really?  Sheepishly, he took it back.  (This was on RCCL)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, beachbum6264 said:

Grab a cup from the pile, fill it, pour into water bottle. Repeat until full.  At least that's what I do.

On one cruise I saw a guy pick up a sandwich from a plate full, looked at it, and then put it back on the plate.  My filter does not work, so I said what my brain was thinking.... Really? You're going to pick up a sandwich with your bare hands, then put it back? Really?  Sheepishly, he took it back.  (This was on RCCL)

I know, I have a broken filter too, but I’m a minor so no one cares what I say.