Bigger than Oasis Class?

Went on Allure about 6 or 7 years ago and loved it, couldnt believe the size of the thing walking up to it at the port. it was literally breath taking how vast it was.

Do you think or is there any plans for RC or any other line for that matter to go bigger?

7 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Do you think or is there any plans for RC or any other line for that matter to go bigger?

Depends on your definition of bigger- early info suggests Icon will be slightly bigger by GT measure. 

Just now, mcoler181 said:

I mean considerably bigger, as in the difference when Oasis came out, wasnt it about 50% bigger than Freedom class?

Yes, about 40% larger, but still a huge increase.

• Like 1

I think the limiting factor on bigger cruise ships are the ports. We already have a lot of ports that the oasis class can't go to. A bigger ship would make that even worse. Much bigger and even the departure ports would be sized out. 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Depends on your definition of bigger- early info suggests Icon will be slightly bigger by GT measure. 

Where are you seeing that info?

Everything I've read indicates around 200,000GT for icon.

I believe there are other ships planned/under construction that will carry more pax than Oasis class, but I haven't seen any with higher tonnage.

Not trying to start an argument here... just interested in the info.

Majesty of the Seas was once the largest cruise  ship in the world.

Then came a larger ship.  Then came a larger ship, then came a larger ship and so on.

When Voyager class launched they were massive and people claimed "They'll never get any bigger than this!"

2 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Absolutely, it's just a matter of when and how you define "largest" or "biggest". 

MSC has plans for a ship with more passengers, 7,000 if I recall.  Smaller than Oasis by GT though.  If you define largest by passenger count MSC is on the way to building the largest.  

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

I think the limiting factor on bigger cruise ships are the ports. We already have a lot of ports that the oasis class can't go to. A bigger ship would make that even worse. Much bigger and even the departure ports would be sized out. 

I'd go with this as the being at the top of the list for limiting factors. Bridge clearance, channel depth and width, turning basin, pier size already determine what ships can cruise to and from some ports.

Edited by Captain Billy Bob
  • Like 1

PRINCESS KAGUYA, $5.4 BILLION

gigantic-cruise-ship-5_600x0w.jpg

Referred to as the “International Urban Cruise Ship”, Princess Kaguya was supposed to set sail in 2012, but constructions never even started. Developed by Ocean Silk Road, it was to be built at Aker Yards under Japan Contents Network's supervision. Princess Kaguya is a project for a 1,640 foot long ship, the length of five football fields, accommodating 8,400 passengers in 3,610 cabins, and 4,000 crew members on its 20 decks. The 450,000 tons ship was designed with diesel electric propulsion that would ensure a cruising speed of 20 knots. Princess Kaguya was meant to be a floating hotel, with three independent hotels onboard, a shopping mall, convention hall, sports events hall, concert hall, and 50 restaurants, but the project was abandoned due to size and cost.

https://www.topspeed.com/boats/boat-news/gigantic-cruise-ship-planned-ar32625.html

Edited by klfhngr